ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to get the best MPG out of my car?

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Bascially i have a 1.2 16V extreme. Its a 52 plate and when looking on the internet it says you get up for 47MPG and i'm like :eek:. I have no idea to get anywhere near as close as this! I reset my trip computer and i've been driving at 39.1 MPG I used to change gear at liek 1800 rev then found out it was tough on my engine so i increased it to 2200 revs, haven't gone over 80 when been on motorways since i reset it doesn't do much help.

Any ideas?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Are you working it out properly or going off the computer, it's funny cos my 1.6 Focus gets more than that!

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
I've been going off my trip computer? f**k knows why it's so low quite depressing actually !

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Only 1.2 i've had was an 02 corsa C SXI, would do 44mpg and I cained the death out of it everywhere.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Bascially i have a 1.2 16V extreme. Its a 52 plate and when looking on the internet it says you get up for 47MPG and i'm like :eek:. I have no idea to get anywhere near as close as this! I reset my trip computer and i've been driving at 39.1 MPG I used to change gear at liek 1800 rev then found out it was tough on my engine so i increased it to 2200 revs, haven't gone over 80 when been on motorways since i reset it doesn't do much help.

Any ideas?

Drive at 60 on the motorway instead of 80 will make a massive difference.

Is the car all uptogether servicing wise? Changed the lambda sensor/s recently?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I struggle like f**k to keep mine above 30 on the trip computer.

I only do a short 5 min journey to work and back though. And if I go for a drive I'm usually a bit right foot heavy so will still be lucky to see over 30.

How exactly? I'm not heavy on the throttle anyway! Whats the revs roughly when you change gear?

38.5 is on a run to work so I try to keep off the throttle as much as possible and I don't want to burn my wages away getting to and from work! I try to make sure I don't go over 2300rpm.

Edit: Think it might be a sensor issue but I'm not too sure

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
Drive at 60 on the motorway instead of 80 will make a massive difference.

Is the car all uptogether servicing wise? Changed the lambda sensor/s recently?
Well i've recently had new breaks new spark plugs, getting new cambelt saturday and i'll change oil and fuel filters end of month or when i get paid. How do you know when you need a lambda sensor changing?

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
38.5 is on a run to work so I try to keep off the throttle as much as possible and I don't want to burn my wages away getting to and from work! I try to make sure I don't go over 2300rpm.

Edit: Think it might be a sensor issue but I'm not too sure
Yeah mines mainly to work and the gym, i try not to go over the 2300rpm mark either apart from 70-80 on way to work! How you know when your sensor is on it way out?

RB182cup&golf gti
Lots of short stop start journeys, plus cold weather = lower than normal mpg. Our 1.2 averages 38mpg but its an 09 plate lard arse. Maybe try some fuel cleaner additive

Clio 1.2 Extreme.
You'll notice a change in drivabilty too (unless the sensor's always been knackered in your ownership).

Just another thought - checked your tyre pressures recently?

Haven't had a chance to in a while! But i'll check them tomorrow hopefully! But yeah seems to drive the same since ive had it!

The 1.2 16v engines aren't that great on fuel tbh, certainly not as good as the "claimed" MPG but then I find that to be heavily inflated anyway.

The claimed economy for the 1.2 16v is 47mpg, I've had two and averaged about 38-40mpg.

The claimed economy for my Astra is 35-37mpg, I get 27-30mpg.

It all depends on how you drive and the types of road you are driving on.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The 1.2 16v engines aren't that great on fuel tbh, certainly not as good as the "claimed" MPG but then I find that to be heavily inflated anyway.

The claimed economy for the 1.2 16v is 47mpg, I've had two and averaged about 38-40mpg.

I'd suggest your 1.2 16v Clio was broken. I've had loads and they always get upwards of 40mpg.

FF Clio 182

Got 30mpg out my 1.2 16v! Faulty lambda sensor. :)