ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to install bucket seats and what is required on a 172 Cup?

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
Hi Guys,

Looking for advise as I need to buy some bucket seats for my track 172 Cup. I am interested in either the cobra monaco seats or the sparco sprint. Is there a guide online showing the installation of these seats in a 172? I am sure it is dead easy but what I need to know is what parts do I need to buy, I want the drivers to be on a runner and the passengers seat to be fixed. Can I install the harnesses and seats without the need for welding?

Also, if anyone has any experience with the sprint or monaco seats I would be keen to hear it - I am only going to use the seats to commute to the track for say 2 hours then to do a track day... Is there any other seats anyone would recommend....

You'll need side mounts for the seats and then a subframe that bolts to the car.

@JON FOZ is the man for subframes

They're simple to install really, x4 bolts from underneath the car will let you pull the standard seat out. Then the subframe bolts into the existing holes. You then attach the side mounts to the subframes and then finally the seat. Adding a universal seat runner where required - between the subframe & side mounts.

In terms of harnesses, you can use some existing mounting points but it's a minefield in terms of what's deemed safe. Ideally you want eyelet bolts through spreader plates for the side belts and a cage on for the rear shoulder straps.

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
You'll need side mounts for the seats and then a subframe that bolts to the car.

@JON FOZ is the man for subframes

They're simple to install really, x4 bolts from underneath the car will let you pull the standard seat out. Then the subframe bolts into the existing holes. You then attach the side mounts to the subframes and then finally the seat. Adding a universal seat runner where required - between the subframe & side mounts.

In terms of harnesses, you can use some existing mounting points but it's a minefield in terms of what's deemed safe. Ideally you want eyelet bolts through spreader plates for the side belts and a cage on for the rear shoulder straps.

Thanks Matt, that is really useful, does anyone have any links to the subframe? Is there any images as I have no clue what a spreader plate is for the harnesses....

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
My VBD Clio X-Low subframes can be seen in the "Group Buy" section in parts for sale on this forum.

Cheers