ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to reset the steering angle sensor back to 0 after steering wheel change?

itb182, 621bhp scoob
as the title please as i obviously moved it when changing my wheel and what to set it too? is it a case of turn the sensor full lock one way then the other way and find half way point or does it defo have to go on clip at renault?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Think you are able to turn it right round then go half back, i tried that but it didnt work for me.

Take the steering wheel off and boss off. the black plastic squib thingy on the front has what looks like a spirit level bubble thing on the top left hand corner. Simply turn the centre part until the yellow patch moves back into the window.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Take the steering wheel off and boss off. the black plastic squib thingy on the front has what looks like a spirit level bubble thing on the top left hand corner. Simply turn the centre part until the yellow patch moves back into the window.

Have you any photos of this?

itb182, 621bhp scoob
ok cheers for the info, shall give it a go tomorrow and hopefully get rid of all the lights on my dash lol

itb182, 621bhp scoob
reset the steering sensor today by setting the yellow "0" mark to the center of the window (the yellow mark stays for 1 full turn so once the window goes from blue to yellow then go half a turn more and that is the zero point) has cancelled all the fault lights now so im happy.

uploadfromtaptalk1365247113035.jpg

At this point it changes from blue to yellow so as OP was saying do a half turn clockwise or anticlockwise dependant on which way you rotated it from.

Then the indicator stays yellow at the squib connections are central and no more errors or lights on dash.

uploadfromtaptalk1365247134382.jpg

182 / 370Z/ 320
So when you do this does it turn the lights of straight away or do you need to do a few miles ?

evo 6rs/clio 172
So it has to indicate yellow in the left corner
If it's not correct would this cause the indicators to not self cancel and will the traction control not turn off
Cheers

The self cancel is a different thing (I think) but this issue would cause the traction light and 'serv' to come on saying your traction control is off and it can't be turned back on until the problem is sorted.

evo 6rs/clio 172
I can turn the traction control on and off via the switch but not sure if it's working
seems to spin up in 1st so maybe it is switching it off
Any idea why the indicators don't self cancel mate

Do the indicators cancel but not at the right? As this could be caused by the squib not being aligned properly.

Sometimes when the squib isn't aligned properly can rip the airbag wires from the squib and cause the airbag light to light

If the indicators don't self cancel at all you may need a new squib. I'll find a picture of the self cancelling part so you can compare.

evo 6rs/clio 172
Ok mate the indicators would be a bonus but it's the traction control I need to turn off
I am on a trackday in nov and hate it cutting in on low speed corners
I will go back out to see if it is working properly

esy9y2e5.jpg

This is the part that cancels the indicators.

With regards to your ESP have you had the car plugged in, any faults or errors to do with the steering angle sensor?

Maybe replacing the squib may solve all the problems.

evo 6rs/clio 172
I have semi slick tyres on so is very hard to break traction to test if the traction control is on or off lol

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Since i took my OMP wheel off and refitted the standard wheel i get no warning lights now. The only thing connected us is the horn, airbag plugs are still fucked. This is a strange part of the vehicle

RS 172
hi guys, hope someone can help, been spending a lot of time reading through all the different posts and still a little stuck.
Bought a OMP boss - pic attached
fitted with no problems, sensor still showing yellow and not moved. Drive down the road and traction control / service error appears.
Put the standard wheel back on, error goes.
Anyone got any ideas how i get this to work or have i just been sent the wrong boss? There is not lugs on this like the standard steering wheel.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 996
  • IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 963
  Clio 1.5 DCi
To fix this
hi guys, hope someone can help, been spending a lot of time reading through all the different posts and still a little stuck.
Bought a OMP boss - pic attached
fitted with no problems, sensor still showing yellow and not moved. Drive down the road and traction control / service error appears.
Put the standard wheel back on, error goes.
Anyone got any ideas how i get this to work or have i just been sent the wrong boss? There is not lugs on this like the standard steering wheel.
Thanks
, if remembered correctly you need two resistors of 3.9ohms and plug them into the two airbag wires you remove from the original steering wheel (yellow connectors) and this should fix the problem straight away after about 30 seconds of being plugged in no need for a drive.

Clio 1.5 DCi
My bad
That will only fux the airbag lights, the esp light is coming on because of the steeringwheel position sensor
My bad I'm sure one of the ones we had in at work had the same problem when he fitted an aftermarket wheel and the owner said that is what he did to stop the ESP and Serv lights illuminating. Could have been talking about the airbag mind.

Clio RS
View attachment 95682

At this point it changes from blue to yellow so as OP was saying do a half turn clockwise or anticlockwise dependant on which way you rotated it from.

Then the indicator stays yellow at the squib connections are central and no more errors or lights on dash.

View attachment 95683

Does someone know if i can turn the sensorring as many turns as i will without any damage? or is it limitated same like the Airbag Ring?

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
It's limited to around 3 turns, count how many then set it in the middle not just when it turns yellow. Other wise it could be set +/- 180 degrees out.

Andyl20

ClioSport Club Member
I changed my steering wheel Roman aftermarket (momo boss and sparco wheel) without realising the caution required to not move the steering angle sensor. Then noticed the TC kicking in constantly when trying to drive. Did some trawling here and found this thread. Did my best to follow the instructions for zeroing the steering angle sensor and think i have it right in that it’s a yellow indicator with the wheel straight and turns blue with about half a turn left or right. I’ve still got the issue with the TC kicking in constantly though 😞. I wanted to check with you clever folk that having this set wrong would actually cause my TC issue and if so how I might check I have things setup correctly with it without a diagnostic computer as I’m basically guessing I have it in the right spot at the moment. Cheers all👍🏻

Clio 172
I changed my steering wheel Roman aftermarket (momo boss and sparco wheel) without realising the caution required to not move the steering angle sensor. Then noticed the TC kicking in constantly when trying to drive. Did some trawling here and found this thread. Did my best to follow the instructions for zeroing the steering angle sensor and think i have it right in that it’s a yellow indicator with the wheel straight and turns blue with about half a turn left or right. I’ve still got the issue with the TC kicking in constantly though 😞. I wanted to check with you clever folk that having this set wrong would actually cause my TC issue and if so how I might check I have things setup correctly with it without a diagnostic computer as I’m basically guessing I have it in the right spot at the moment. Cheers all👍🏻

Andy,

I've recently had the same problem switching over my steering wheel and boss. First off I had the wrong boss as it had no tabs like the stock wheel along with a small hole to feed the plugs through. Removed this but in doing so it came off so quickly It ripped the plug ends off. New squib it was then. I then made the mistake of moving the steering angle sensor when removing from the squib. Unbeknown to me as you found out, it then unaligned. I then had the serv, esp and abs lights come on. Without trying to guess it, I bit the bullet and paid for an auto electrician to plug in and alter it for me. It's quicker and easier that chasing your tail. I hate lights on the dash so this is the easiest fix but at a cost obviously. Now I have a light free dash.

Clio Trophy
Anyone know if when recalibrating the sensor (by moving so you have the yellow in the bubble), whether or not you need to unplug the sensor cable first?

I’ve tried a few times with the battery disconnected but with the steering angle sensor still connected, connect the battery back when happy with yellow bubble and the ABS and ESP lights remain on...