ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to run cooler?

clio 03 1.6 16v
hey guys just a quick question, is there any way to make my car run cooler for like town driving? the reason im asking, is when the temp isat the middle and not any higher the cars alot quicker, but when its warmer im guessing heat soak effects it and you can really feel a differance!
is there like a switch to let the fan come on earlier or sumthin? i cant find anywhere to put a cold air feed no space so im stumoped..
thanks again.

Last edited:
  clio 03 1.6 16v
it is an open one, its the ramcharger from k-tec, full of comedians on here tbh, u ask a question and everyones the funny guy, thanks for the sereous comments anyway. its appreciated

Its just the way you ask the question... "my car goes about 20mph quicker now i got one of those superchips off ebay type question"

If you wanna keep temps down then look into PTFE gaskets and heatshieding . Replace coolent etcetc...

Lots of Alfas
I dont think theres a way you can make the fan come on earlier, it is controlled by the ecu. iirc it comes on at 99C and stays on until the water reaches 96C. I suppose you could disconnect it and wire up some sort of manual switch for it, that you can control.

Clio v6
Reduce the temperature of the water by adding a wee bit more coolant?

Ambient bay temperature sensor wired up to an anti percolator fan perhaps?

clio 03 1.6 16v
hmm interesting ideas...
as for the anti-- things sound very technical.. lol, so maybe pass tht one,
ive only had the car a few months surley changing the coolent wnt matter much? its just an idea i was just wondering if there was anythin to b done, but thanks very much for the replys!

Megane Team II F1 R26
full of comedians on here tbh, u ask a question and everyones the funny guy, thanks for the sereous comments anyway. its appreciated

Hit the nail on the head with this forum haha, matt thought he would make a comedian attemp on my post... shame he was way off.

As for heat soak and ambient air temp being high in engine bay, other than direct cold feed really not much more you can do.

Rigging the fan to a switch will pull more air across the radiator and will in turn bring the coolant temp down (and dash board temp indicator) but won't actually give the cold feed a decent amount of cold air.

Lucky its only a 1.6 :) gets worse when you have a turbo! my old GT4 had the intercooler sat ontop of the engine, 10mins sat in traffic and it was way down on power.

@ Mardell You have a very nice vehicle I'm sorry my poor attempt at humour didn't amuse you. I will put my extra sarky mood on next time for you ;) xxxx.

To be honest with you I just get bored seeing the same bloody question on here day in day out, what filter will do this what induction kit bla bla bla. It's just so boring people SEARCH!!!

Megane Team II F1 R26
@ Mardell You have a very nice vehicle I'm sorry my poor attempt at humour didn't amuse you. I will put my extra sarky mood on next time for you ;) xxxx.

To be honest with you I just get bored seeing the same bloody question on here day in day out, what filter will do this what induction kit bla bla bla. It's just so boring people SEARCH!!!

Apology accepted, Im not new to the forum by any means, Im new at posting but have been hidden away watching for sometime, My question before posting was 'searched' and was a failed attempt hence the post. But no worries I've kinda picked up on the daily taunt of questions. :eek:

Evo 6, E92 320d
Can i ask why you want it quicker around town? surely your not doing more than 30mph anyway.

Apology accepted, Im not new to the forum by any means, Im new at posting but have been hidden away watching for sometime, My question before posting was 'searched' and was a failed attempt hence the post. But no worries I've kinda picked up on the daily taunt of questions. :eek:

Haha immature moments over now then? lol

:) Hugs n kisses :) xxxx

If it helps ill get a picture of my 182 dash for you and show you where the temperature used to sit on my old T reg 1.4. But it was one notch below the middle point exactly. pretty much all the time summer/winter stopped or moving

Evo 6, E92 320d
he asked how to get it cooler around town not quicker ;p

hey guys just a quick question, is there any way to make my car run cooler for like town driving? the reason im asking, is when the temp isat the middle and not any higher the cars alot quicker, but when its warmer im guessing heat soak effects it and you can really feel a differance!
is there like a switch to let the fan come on earlier or sumthin? i cant find anywhere to put a cold air feed no space so im stumoped..
thanks again.

Thats why he wants it cooler;)

Megane Team II F1 R26
Haha immature moments over now then? lol

:) Hugs n kisses :) xxxx

If it helps ill get a picture of my 182 dash for you and show you where the temperature used to sit on my old T reg 1.4. But it was one notch below the middle point exactly. pretty much all the time summer/winter stopped or moving

no no keep with the immature, makes me feel young!! haha not liking the fact i hit 28 this year at all!

I've seen a 182 dash and the temp gauge is in the middle? my misses is to the right of the dash and is much larger - I know its too high thats why i originally questioned it, but have rigged up manual switch now till the weekend when i can strip the sensors out and test.

9 years older than me then! Can you tell haha??

Those engines are so nice to work on compared to the 2.0 ones!!

Yeah it does sound as though its overheating a little. I changed the coolant on mine and it did actually make it run a little cooler! But could be a multitude of things! I just get a little confused sometimes!

Megane Team II F1 R26
Yeah simple engine compared to some i've worked on, I was going to do the coolant as good measure with the oil, filter and so on.

I wasn't to concerned when i picked it up (last week), it ran, did 70 all the way home without a hicup, obviously down the motorway it stayed steady. It was my misses that noticed as she took it out to do some shopping.

Had a quick poke under the bonnet and the temp sensor had all 3 cables showing bare copper - like someones split back the cables to test....

Its not loosing water, no gunk in cap, fuses are all good, and i didn't even leave it running to see if fan did actually cut in, just rigged switch.

Megane Team II F1 R26
ps less with the making me feel even older..... lol Im out this weekend with a large group of 24 year old ladies, Im concerned i won't keep up!! HA HA yeah right haha

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
nobody seems to have clarified if it's water or oil temp you want to reduce..... if you're going by the standard gauge then i presume you're after water temp reduction....

Oil - you can get an oil cooler fitted, although this will only really make a difference on long journey or high rev sprints.

Water, a more powerful fan, better heat disipation? CAF would allow for more air flow into the engine, this though won't lower the engine temp, just allow for more air into it - actually making it run slightly warmer.

Vented bonnet? look pants but will help heat escape better.

clio 03 1.6 16v
thanks very much for the responses guys, its appreciated!
the actual reason for the question is sometimes i need to have that punch to stop taxi's n s**t juumpin infront tryin to get to work simply because it bogges down..
i certainley dont race about the town way to dangerous for tht!

it was the water temp i was thinking about, im thinking i should change my oil aswell though ive done around 7000mls in about 5 mnths on the oil the car came with...

the engine does seem fairly solid tbh and im fairly happy with it though just didnt want anything going wrong with it.
thanks again