ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how to set up coilover for track use? KW V2 ride height and damping hardness?

172 ph1
I've recently had KW V2's installed on my car and was wondering how others using the V2 (or other coilovers) set theirs up for track use.

I'm going for a corner weighing next week, so I'd like to try and settle on a ride height at least. I'm going for some tourist laps at the Nurburgring this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to get a better idea of what changes I need afterwards.

At the moment the car has been set with medium hardness on the dampers and distance from axle to wheel arch of 315mm both front and back - stock height was 350mm front 345mm back, so that's a drop of 30mm at the back and 35mm at the front.

At the moment the car seems a bit bouncy - perhaps I need more damping? Does the height seem appropriate for track use? Is there any way to diagnose what changes I need in the car, besides getting an experienced driver to diagnose it for me?

Any and all help is appreciated :eek:

edit:

Does this look like a lot of bodyroll?

IMG_9701.jpg

photo of the car with its current drop of -35mm front and -30mm at the rear:

IMG_6424.jpg

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Use a decent motorsport garage for the set up. For track use at Bedford I hate mine set to full soft on the front, and max stiffness on the rear.

172 ph1
Use a decent motorsport garage for the set up. For track use at Bedford I hate mine set to full soft on the front, and max stiffness on the rear.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I should perhaps go to one of the places near the 'Ring that provides driver training, car rental and car servicing perhaps?

Are you also on the V2? What ride height are you at? :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not sure on height fella, mine haven't been fully set up. Be interested to see what heights etc you go for.

172 ph1
Not sure on height fella, mine haven't been fully set up. Be interested to see what heights etc you go for.
Cool :)

I'll try and see if I can get Dirk Schoysman to spare some of his time to assess my Clio, the next time I get to meet him. Otherwise I'll probably ask one of the guys of rent4ring

Is the soft front on your car to maximise traction? I did notice some problems with wheelspin and the front tires locking up under braking

One more thing, are strut braces a worthwhile improvement?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Helps with traction, but also made the car very adjustable. Easy to get the car sideways if you wanted as well.
Few laps of Bedford
[YOUTUBE]gD99X4DDOZs[/YOUTUBE]
No idea on the strut braces fella!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I have KW V2's on my Cup, Not sure how much its been dropped by at the front but the rear I have removed the "Adjuster" rings and just have it sat on the springs.

Mine is a Daily driver with odd track day, and as I am lazy I just have the damping set to hardest setting. Did RAF Marham with this set up and it handled well and seemed to be very neutral.

On my 15" Track wheels -

DSCN0071.jpg

On my daily wheels -

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

Need to get them re-set up as Daz pointed out the company who set mine up cocked up with the camber Bolts and Top mounts so my camber is a bit unbalanced.

DSC00427-1.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

106 GTI
The top mounts facing like that wont matter, by all accounts each side can run a slight difference in camber so it seems they are set like that to be even

Lionel Richie
Helps with traction, but also made the car very adjustable. Easy to get the car sideways if you wanted as well.
Few laps of Bedford
[YOUTUBE]gD99X4DDOZs[/YOUTUBE]
No idea on the strut braces fella!

raging homo, afterall that and you don't take the left hander before the hairpin flat and then go in at least 20mph too slow into the hairpin, first gay married indian on the planet? hi!

172 ph1
I have KW V2's on my Cup, Not sure how much its been dropped by at the front but the rear I have removed the "Adjuster" rings and just have it sat on the springs.

Mine is a Daily driver with odd track day, and as I am lazy I just have the damping set to hardest setting. Did RAF Marham with this set up and it handled well and seemed to be very neutral.

On my 15" Track wheels -

On my daily wheels -

Need to get them re-set up as Daz pointed out the company who set mine up c**ked up with the camber Bolts and Top mounts so my camber is a bit unbalanced.
Thanks

Looking at your pix it does seem like my front is too low relative to the rear, as I suspected (front seemed too bouncy) :)

With my ride height a bit higher I probably have a softer spring rate so I probably need a slightly softer damping too?

Last edited: