ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to tell if a gearbox has gone

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Being stiff isnt an indicator os a shot box. Thats an indicator of a tight selector, wrongly adjusted selector, or similar. Crunching of gears on selection indicates worn syncros, jumping out of gear on hard acceleration, whining noises (bearings) all symptoms of knackered boxes.

Paul

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

putting it in first gear, pressing the accelerator and releasing the clutch.

If you dont start moving forward, I would say your gearbox is pretty knackered... cause all the teeth have worn down. ;) :D :p

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Sorry, we were just :p around, I think pmitchell pretty much summed it up.

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

Whining, crunching gears, and I also had major speedo needle wobble aup to about 30mph

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Speedo needle wobbling? that mean ur box (gear) is shot?

Bugger, mines doin that up 2 35/40...

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

Not necessarily... can sometimes mean a dead speedo cable I think... But in my case its the box.

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Off on the M62 home now - just finished work - see if i can get past that 135mph!!!!! Hope gearbox dont explode..

the gearbox is gone if its disapeared, to diagnose fully sit in the car and swing your left hand around infornt of the handbrake, is a metal stick fouls your swinging then its not gone anywhere

same princple applies throughout

My old 1.2s speedo needle swayed wildly all the way up to 80mph, when it moved so slowly up the clock that the sway lost momentum!!

Anyway, that started at about 10k and was with me until I sold it at 66k. So it must have been the cable.

My 16v does it too a little now. Started after I had the gearbox rebuilt.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Ive been worrying about the box in mine, but I think its just me not used to the heavy clutch and the fact that when I disengage the clutch without enough rpm (which is pretty much how I drove my 1.4) im liable to come close to stalling.

Ive found the best way is hover the revs at 3k and rapidly disengage the clutch to get a nice smooth & rapid takeoff.

On more serious note, while the car is rolling forward in gear, push the accelerator in hard. if the revs shoot up but there is a noticable delay in acceleration, then your box is most likely shot.

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

The speedo cable is nothing to do with the box. Its a sign that the cable has stretched with age.

Paul

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Not true, the cable may be in perfect condition but the sender unit from the gearbox may be faulty.

If the cable is kinked or dry etc. this could cause the same symptoms.

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

also, on my Fiesta, there was no noise from the box whatsoever, but a huge puddle of gearbox oil on the floor under the car.

Ask Nick R. Apparently if you open up the bonnet and the gearbox isnt where its supposed to be, then its probably stuffed. Im a bit worried about mine at the moment, i double de-clutch, but im still getting nasty changes.

CTR EK9 turbo

Ive already had my gear box replaced under warranty on my mk.1 172 and the monkeys at the renault garage didnt fit the new one properly and it leaked gearbox oil all over my drive - this appears to have inspired premature wear on the new box - great! the new box is doing the same as the old one: crunching in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Nasty.....

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Mines leaking oil on the drive, but hopefully its the near side inner boot thats to blame.