ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How tough is the 172 Gearbox and clutches.

How tough are the Gearboxes and clutches fitted to the 172/182FF's ?

And the 172/182 Cup models, i know there different speedo drive wise on the gearbox.
Is that all ?

I was wandering how much abuse they'd take as i went through 2 gearboxes(The diff x2) in my last car (2000 Polo Gti) which were known to be problematic with them going. :(

And how would the 172 ones cope on regular track days (say 1 every 2/3 months) ?

What power do they start giving up at(Gearbox and Clutches) ?

Is there any parts that are prone to going ?
I.e 2nd Gear crunching etc.

Whats the average mileage for a clutch on a 172 lasting ?

Do they all have slightly high bites as standard ?

As mine feels high compared to some cars i've driven where the clutch bite is down by the floor or does this mean my one is on its way out ?

My clutch cable seems fine it aint stick at all, its smooth through all its travel.

I've never driven any other 172's to compare :(

Sorry for all the questions and if they've been asked before ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
All of the 172/182's that i have driven all had/have high biting points.

As for toughness my mk2 172 is now on just under 90k and that is still on the original gearbox, clutch.

Phase 2 172 Cup
mine seems to be very high bite it doesnt stick and isnt really very jumpy

but again only driven one other 182 to compare it too, but it seemed the same

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
yeh, mines high also. My clutch needed replacing at about 50k, but it wasnt worn out, it just failed and the clutch plate slipped. Easy enough to replace on the sports.

there is masses on gearboxes if you search. they're the weakest part of the car IMO - in terms of both mechanical sturdiness and in terms of enjoyment of use

Ph1
Personally, never had a problem with my gearbox or it crunching and iv done well over 100k in it now, owned from new.
Think it all depends how much stick you give it and your driving style. That goes for any car

The biting point can be adjusted under the pedal.

Clio Sport 172 ph1
My car done 160000km (2000 Clio Sport ph1) and the gearbox is still in "pretty" good contition.
Only problem is at 3rd gear, every time it goes on i litteraly hear cogwheels getting together. I think it's something I'll be forced to take care of some time in the future, but its that way for a year now and I like it :) It gives the car that brut taste I want ;)
But then again I only drove it for a year now, don't know previous history

they're the weakest part of the car IMO - in terms of both mechanical sturdiness and in terms of enjoyment of use

Agree with that. Maybe not so much the mechanical robustness (mine has'nt broken yet!). But definately enjoyment. Main problem I have with mine is it catches sometimes dropping from 5th to 4th when pressing on, which is not ideal with a corner approaching!!

Rest of the car is great fun though :D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My Cup's on 101k now.

The clutch went at 98, was still biting fine, just wouldn't disengage. Tried the cable but turned out to be the springs in the clutch had failed.

Gearbox is still fine, it's never liked being rushed, and there's some slack in the drivetrain so I have to drive sympathetically.

I'll still give it death at FCS though.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The gearbox is the most fragile part of a 172.

It is barely strong enough for the standard engine.

It is what makes it questionable to turbo a 197. And even a lot of people with standard cars have trouble with the gearbox.

172cup
heard plenty of people moan and b**ch about their gearboxes and clutches in the 1*2. Heard plenty are on their 3rd or 4th box on about 40k!!

I'm on 92k now and still on original clutch and gearbox. PLUS i drive like a lunatic 24/7. I also had smoke coming out of my clutch for about 5mins while trying to get up the side of a mountain lol

People need to learn to drive i think lol (ignore the side of a mountain bit here). (i will retract this statement prior to me coming on saying "sh*t my gearbox has gone)

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
i did 90K in my 172. both clutch and g.box felt fine when i p/x it.

most of that 90K was done at rapid speeds

ValverInBits
172 clutches are supposed to be a 50-70k ish iirc, but from the reports above, maybe not.
The gearboxes are weak, as they were with the valver before.

They have taken quite a lot of power on the turbo F4Rs, dunno for how long though. See if Legohead replies in this thread.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just don't drive it hard in 1st, wait till in 2nd before giving it the beans and don't rush the gears, will last then IMO

BMW M135i
Just don't drive it hard in 1st, wait till in 2nd before giving it the beans and don't rush the gears, will last then IMO
+1 They're fine but they don't like abuse, i've had 3 JB/JC series boxes and haven't killed any of them over about 70k combined.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive done 25,000 hard miles in the last year kicking the nuts out mine. just dont rush the box, make sure the clutch is right down! and regular gearbox oil changes and it'll be fine

Personally, never had a problem with my gearbox or it crunching and iv done well over 100k in it now, owned from new.
Think it all depends how much stick you give it and your driving style. That goes for any car

The biting point can be adjusted under the pedal.

Do yougive your car much stick Andy ?

And have you changed the oil or had any leaks at all ?

It seems a hit or a miss guys.

And all depends what life your gearbox has had before you got the car i suppose