ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how would this affect handling

ex Clio 172 owner :(

the 40 is the tyre profile (height) surely so wouldnt make a difference. the 205 is the width of the tyre. If anything id have thought it may cause slight understeer but wouldnt affect ride height

the 40 is a percentage of the width. if the width is wider the height is higher, hence itll give me approx 1 cm of extra height at the back, which my car needs. but didnt know how badly it would affect the handling?

rear tyres probably have more grip due to wider contact surface.

why not try 195/45 ro 195/50 at the back.

TDI tyre shreader

195 is the width or foot print of the tyre, 40 is the profile or depth of the sidewall of the tyre. so ride hight would remain the same ud just have wider tyres at the rear. Would most prob cause understeer as chris said, because the rear would have more grip than the front. Think its an mot failure to have more than one type of tyre size on a car aswell, maybe even illegal but im not sure about that.

it would drive horribly, and if ever for handling pruposes you have wider fronts on a FWD car.

WHy do you want the rear higher?

Quote: Originally posted by Jones on 25 February 2004

195 is the width or foot print of the tyre, 40 is the profile or depth of the sidewall of the tyre. so ride hight would remain the same ud just have wider tyres at the rear. Would most prob cause understeer as chris said, because the rear would have more grip than the front. Think its an mot failure to have more than one type of tyre size on a car aswell, maybe even illegal but im not sure about that.
http://www.cliosport.net/styling/tyreguide.asphttp://www.cliosport.net/styling/tyreguide.asphttp://www.cliosport.net/styling/tyreguide.asp

not according to that link, 205s r higher then 195 overall.

but not sure on the legallity thing though, good point.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 25 February 2004

it would drive horribly, and if ever for handling pruposes you have wider fronts on a FWD car.

WHy do you want the rear higher?

it sits too low at the mo, but only slightly. the rear is slightly lower than then front, lowering the front more isnt an option cus it doesnt go over thing very well already. so i thought highering the back a bit would help.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

dont think itd affect an mot having different size tyres. my mams has 155/65/13s and 165/55/13s on here fiesta! guy over the road has four different tyres and both passed mot. i think they just look at the tread depth, possibly pressure too.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Porches ferraris etc all have much bigger wheels on the back than the front, even the mk2 V6 has bigger wheels on the back.

And Ben J is correct the 40 is the percentage of the width so would be higher.

so would it make the hadling real bad then? for the sake of an extra cm width on the road?

the torsion bar is only dropped 1 click as it is and it went about 50mm!

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 25 February 2004

Porches ferraris etc all have much bigger wheels on the back than the front, even the mk2 V6 has bigger wheels on the back.

And Ben J is correct the 40 is the percentage of the width so would be higher.

Rear wheel drive with a rear weight bias requires that.

FWD and front weight bias and more grip on the rear would mean understeer.

the end

But the point remains.. it aint a legal requirement that you have the same size of tire on the rear as well as the front is it ?

So Ben would be find having 205s on the rear and 195s on the front for legality?

Not sure about handling tho?

Are you trying to highten the whole car or just the rear? coz why not go for 205/50s all round? (assuming u can get 205s on ur 15" alloys?!)

I am changing from 205/40s to 205/50s coz I heard it would make a small improvement in handling and I do not need ultra low profiles anyways!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

205s would look silly on 15 inch wheels IMO, plus might not be good to have such a overhang on the rim, would look like a tractor!

yes i want the back only slightly higher as it sits a bit lower than the front and looks odd.

so wider will make it poop handling! bummer....

how about 195/40s at front and 195/45s at rear then? thats raise the back about 2cm. prob be ok actually as itll be only slightly higher again

Think its an mot failure to have more than one type of tyre size on a car aswell, maybe even illegal but im not sure about that.
Where the hell did you hear that!!!?

All RWD cars have larger rears than fronts. My Supra has 255s on the rear and 235s on the front.

TDI tyre shreader

Quote: Originally posted by Barryd on 26 February 2004

Think its an mot failure to have more than one type of tyre size on a car aswell, maybe even illegal but im not sure about that.
Where the hell did you hear that!!!?

All RWD cars have larger rears than fronts. My Supra has 255s on the rear and 235s on the front.
Could of sworn i read that somewhere, but thinking about it, it doesnt make sense..sorry guys :oops: