ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How would you repair this sill?

Hi folks,

My project thread is here, but I would like to post this thread over here to see how you guys might approach repairing the rotten corner/sill, which started off as a mashed jacking point.

I'm wondering to what extent I should cut back as it seems that some people are telling me not to cut any more but I think that will result in a half assed fix, and be difficult to weld.

Any body got any pics of a repair they did?

Thanks a lot..
Conor

1620167459279.png

Just keep cutting until you get to clean metal all round. That’s the only correct repair.

That's true I guess.. my problem is that I have some guys working near me who say I have already cut enough (Or too much...). They are wayyyy more experienced that me but I don't know how they can stand by that since there is clearly some rot there.

406 V6, Race Buggy
For me, personally, anything at all that has to be bent or flexed out to clean up, gets chopped out to thick, sound metal and replaced, you'll never get it quite back right because the metal stretches, especially when it's thin and corroded.
The only exception is when I work on classics/vintage cars where the owner is trying to keep as much of the original paint, etc, as possible.

For me, personally, anything at all that has to be bent or flexed out to clean up, gets chopped out to thick, sound metal and replaced, you'll never get it quite back right because the metal stretches, especially when it's thin and corroded.
The only exception is when I work on classics/vintage cars where the owner is trying to keep as much of the original paint, etc, as possible.

I am inclined to agree with you there.