ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HP Laptop Overheating

FN2 Type R GT
Bought my laptop may last year,

it is always overheating and turning itself off, even when its on a table or on my lap whilst watching the t.v, all the air vents have been vacuumed and high pressure air blasted through to make sure there is no clogs

seems ridiculous as my brother has the same model just a slightly different spec and his never overheats,

is there anything i can do bar sending it back that might rectify the problem, cant really be arsed with HP customer care and being without a laptop for a month, i did buy it from pc world, would i have any kind of warranty with them?

Stig

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Your contract is with the people you bought the product from, not the manufacturer iirc.

It is up to them to get the problem solved, but you will still have the issue of being without a lap top, as if PC world are anything like Comet (same company iirc), the customer service is truly abysmal.

ITB'd MK1
is it an AMD processor? my old one ran red hot and turned itself off a fair few times too. I just installed speedfan and kept an eye on the core temp

Megane 265 Cup
is it an AMD processor? my old one ran red hot and turned itself off a fair few times too. I just installed speedfan and kept an eye on the core temp

Yes try speedfan out and this will also indicate whether a fan may have failed or is running on too low a setting hence the overheating. Free download and pretty straight forward.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
try the above and also if you fancy opening it up, whap the heatsink off it and put some better thermal paste on it, if the heatsink has somehow ended up not seated properly from a knock or a drop that would cause this issue.

try the above and also if you fancy opening it up, whap the heatsink off it and put some better thermal paste on it, if the heatsink has somehow ended up not seated properly from a knock or a drop that would cause this issue.

This

FN2 Type R GT
Cheers guys just downloaded it now, if i got it online from pcworld can i take it into the store, would rather see someone face to face then email/call, at least that way something can get done about it.

Megane 265 Cup
Dunno about that, call down to the store and just say you bought it from them and see what happens :D

Ph-Sold!
DSG will say you have to speak to the manufacturer in my experience, never buying HP/Compaq again after HDD failure on 14 month old laptop.

I took an over heating laptop into PC world after blowing it all out myself. The guy did the same and sent me on my way. Said it would of been my fault for keeping it on the wrong surfaces. Bellend.

Cupra
I have repaired a couple of laptops with the same problem. Blowing air is not enough, have you actually opened the case and taken the cooling fan out? On all of the laptops I opened, there was a solid layer of fluff between the heatsink and the cooling fan. Blasting air through it did not shift it at all.

Appologies if you have already taken the fan off.

Ian

Focus TDCi
What model is the HP? Mine overheated to the point that it wouldn't turn back on. They replaced the motherboard and changed the BIOS firmware (..I think?) so that the fan stays constantly on at higher revs.

Makes a lot of noise and it still gets red hot (too hot to have on lap sometimes), but it's never completely crashed again. Quite often crashes so that I have to restart, but I'm not sure that's related. Apparently it's an approved fix.

Also, check that your laptop might be eligible for a battery replacement. I've never got round to it, but I believe there's an overheating issue with certain batteries that HP also recognise.

http://bpr.hpordercenter.com/hbpr/

ITB BG 182
Just go and buy a belkin cool pad from tesco as they are only £10 at the moment and its nice to have it on you lap too aswell as the stand at the back for table top surfaces.
And also with the fan being low power consumption it does not drain the laptop like a ho on battery.

This is the one i have, great for high performance setting while playing games and stop it from over heating and not charging.
1200167096-65716_full.jpg
http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2008/12/13/1200167096-65716_full.jpg

Audi S1
One of the main reasons I love my Mac.

My HP always overheated. If it's insured read the T&C's, i'm sure if they have in the repair warehouse for like 40 odd days you can get it written off.

I done this with mine.

ITB BG 182
Just got that speed fan and my laptops temp on a flat surface is 71c proping it up with a normal pencil at the back dropped to 60c this is on the recommend power setting.

However using a coolpad on high power setting running a game with while burning a dvd or two and its at 39c an not problems at all.

FN2 Type R GT
whats the likely outcome if i do send it back? they clean it out and give it back...it overheats again and i send it back to them? or they change key components that will actually mean it doesnt overheat anymore?

Pc world will attempt to fix it wont they? they wont send it back to HP?

Clio 197 FF
My GF had a problem like this with hers, overheating after around half an hour on a desktop surface. I hoovered the vents out as you mentioned but also applied new arctic silver thermal paste to the CPU as the old had dried up and more or less disappeared. Works fine now, always like to keep a check on it though with Speedfan.

DCi
Mine has jar started doin this :mad:

Gonna take it apart and if there is nothing obvious then it's time for a new one :(

clio 182 black /gold
My HP is nearly 4 years old. The video chip had gone so HP replaced it out of warrenty. Then the network card does not find my network so i have had to buy a dongle. Then the hinge and lid broke and now the video chip has gone again. I dont think that i will be buying a HP again.

FN2 Type R GT
Yeh i dont think i will either, eventually ended up taking the laptop apart but got stuck and couldnt get to the fan, bought a belkin cool pad which broke on the first day...

so now i just changed the power settings of the processor and hasnt overheated since, however playing videos isnt that great.