ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HPi clear....... I dont think so!!

E46 320D Tourer!
Posted this else where but thought it would be worthy of a thread so no one else gets caught out like i have been! :

try this one on for size then! Went and bought my 182 FF on 12/08/11, V5 present, HPI cleared by myself and the garage i bought it from. Then 2 days prior to the end of my holiday with the missus on the 13/09/11 I get a call from West Yorks Police telling me it's stolen!

Apparently the bloke who sold it to the garage rented it for three months and for some reason the persons renting the car out registered it in their name?! In that time he sells it to the garage and gets his money!

So a HPI check is only as good as the exact moment you do it, and might not be any good anyway!

I've still got the car stored off road for now as I'm a copper down in Beds and they know it's safe with me till a decisions made! Sadly though, I cant even drive my pride and joy!

When I say 'decisions made', I mean CPS might decide it's a civil matter and not criminal. Even if it is criminal, the courts might decide I can keep the car, so fingers crossed!

All that and I've actually got a V5 with my name on it!

Bummer!

Now Sold :-(
I assume HPi won't help. As far as they were able to establish the car was not stolen when you did the check so their information was correct?

I'm sure you know this already but unless the original owner recovers their loss from the guy they rented it to they will get the car back as it still belongs to them as far as the law is concerned.

Best hope for you is that the 'renter' claims he purchased the car and so was legally entitled to sell it. Will be difficult for the garage to prove otherwise if they gave him the V5/let him register it in his name.

Feel for you. Had a friend who paid top ££££ for a Mercedes ML only to discover it was sold while still on finance. Ended up having to pay the original owner almost £20k on top of what he originally paid for the car in order to keep it. :(

Clio v6 255
Who carried out the HPI check. I know when I did one through the RAC they said if they made a mistake with the HPI check then you are covered up to a certain amount. Cant remember the amount however

E46 320D Tourer!
thanks for the replies guys. yeah im pretty down about it atm, but having spoken to the officer in west yorks who dealing with it she's holding out a slim hope that CPS say its a civil debt between the renter and the rentee.

If i have to give the car back (which im thinking i will), I'll have to try the small claims court to get my money back from the car sales place in leeds that i got it from. In turn they'll have to do the same to the bloke that sold it to them.

Looking into it, it would appear that neither had the right to sell the vehicle, so i might be due my cash back that way. Of course knowing my luck the garage will go into liquidation or file for bankruptcy! Now that would be sods law!

To add insult to injury it was at 75k, so guess what i spend most of £600 on! Yep, timing belt, tensioners, fan belt and even did water pump for safe measure. Also, an oil change, refurbed the wheels, new gear knob (as old one was tatty and horrible), etc, etc, etc...................... totalling nearly a £1000 in all. If the car goes back the gits getting a far better car than when he allegedly 'rented' it out! I also know or am pretty sure that that £1000 wont have to be re-embursed by the garage either.

It's safe to say that this is a severe learning experience! If I have to suck a lemon for £3500 then I do I suppose, but it wont be without a fight in the small claims courts!

I might be on here before long seeing who's flogging one, might have to make a withdrawl from the bank of dad as I need a motor! Typically, theres nice looking ones on autotrader for similar or less than what I paid with the expensive service done!!!!!

E46 320D Tourer!
Who carried out the HPI check. I know when I did one through the RAC they said if they made a mistake with the HPI check then you are covered up to a certain amount. Cant remember the amount however

I did the HPi check through an Iphone app, but at the time of doing the check it would of been correct. So no recourse there either sadly.

e91 330d/type r mini
thats not good at all, hope you get sorted and dont lose out.
what was the name of the garage in leeds you bought it from?

E46 320D Tourer!
the name of the place is 'east leeds car sales'. only a small place, but they sell plenty of cars ranging from £500 to £5000.

TTRS & V50
Pretty near the exact same happened to my boss. But it happened to be a 65k Bentley he sold on. I'm pretty sure it's still in police compound now trying to resolve the matter and it's been 6 months.

E46 320D Tourer!
6 MONTHS!! Jesus! Well i suppose it is 65k though. I'm hoping she'll get the stolen marker taken off on monday, so i've at least got some wheels for the time being.

Dunno if i even wanna keep it now though, as it's always gonna have stolen recovered on the V5.

TTRS & V50
It's the money factor and there's about 4 parties involved so it's quite a complicated matter, but that's the car trade and fraud for you.

That is a shitter, that makes it a cat d. But at the end of the day if you tell the next buyer the full story, there is no reason that the car should decrease in value.

E46 320D Tourer!
Personally i think the bloke or firm that rented it out are muppets. Who in their right mind would rent a car out and register the V5 doc in the renters name?!

They were asking for trouble from the start if you ask me. I still think this could all be a fiddle somewhere along the lines.

BG 182
I know someone who had brought a Mitsubishi L200 with a hpi check not knowing it was a clone, the police turn up one day, turn the car inside out check all the chassis numbers etc, tell the bloke im sorry but this is a clone. Take the keys and off they trott, with him £12000 down and no leg to stand on. Theres some disgusting people out there who cant earn their own money and have to con others in order to make some. But no matter what we tend to do, hpi check, checking MOT documents and matching chassis numbers etc as i always do, if you do get conned, you wouldnt have any clue as would any other person.

I really hope it gets sorted out for you buddy as its a real shame that its always decent people who go through things like this. But on the other hand, at least it will prompt you to buy another one as they are great cars for the money :).

On the other hand, i live in Bedfordshire and wanting to join the police force is the one thing ive always wanted to do so if you have any tips on what would benefit me or help me along the way, i would really appreciate it.

Clio & Volvo V70 T5
How awful for you!
I would have thought that this was the responsibility of the dealer you bought it from & that they would have insurance against this sort of thing.
Hope you get it sorted soon

E46 320D Tourer!
Jacko90 - where in Beds do you live bud? I'm in Kempston, I'd say look out for me if your near but you'd struggle to notice the owner of a stolen clio walking about on foot at the moment!

The first thing i'd do, and did, was to phone beds police hq on 01234 841212 and ask to be put through to recruitment. See if they have any open evenings for either regular or special contable recruitment. I dont think any force is recruiting at the moment due to the current climate of no money, but its worth asking. If so, go along and see what you think.

It might still be possible to get a ride along with a panda driver for half a shift, to see what you think. In that case i'd phone your local station and ask for the on duty sergeant for some advice in if it's still done.

A good way to get a foot in the door is to apply for a role as a special contable. You dont get paid but its a good start, to show that your willing. If you do want to apply, get a recruitment pack and pm me, not sure how much i'd be able to help with the application form as it's changed a hell of a lot in the ten years since i joined!!!!!!

Good luck if you do decide, and the money isnt bad either!

And dont worry, if i do lose it, im already prepped to go out and get me another! There's a nice looking one in tamworth on autotrader for 2k, with the big service done. Higher mileage than my stolen one, but hopefully that ones not stolen!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If that happened to me and id spent that money on the cambelt etc and i had to hand it back it would be a stanley blade half way through the belt!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I know how bad that sounds but i'd be f**king reeling at the prospect of handing it back due to someone's dishonesty.

Break the fucker for parts. Yes officer, it was stolen just last night.

BG 182
I live in Maulden matey but I'm around Bedford/Kempston pretty much daily as the girlfriend lives by the hospital and I work in Bedford. I applied for the specials and got all the way to the interview but ive never had much experience in that role. But I think that's the best option to reapply for the specials because, as you said, the regulars recruitment has dried up at the moment. The one thing I've got a lot of passion and motivation though.

E46 320D Tourer!
One of the guys i work with lives in maulden. if you dont mind me asking, how old are you? sometimes that can have an effect on whether they employ someone, mainly due to the life experience they think say a 19 year old would have compared to a 30 year old.

In fact now that i think about it, i pretty sure ive seen your BG 182 about town. See one about 3 weeks ago as i was pootling down ampthill road. Probably you as ive not seen any others.

Agree with above really, if you absolutly have to hand it back, do something to it, which will still let it run for a day or two but go "bang"..

Dont know what exactly, but a bolt or two holding the belt on?

E46 320D Tourer!
interesting, might pop over my mates garage and have a chat about what could be 'adjusted'!?!?

would feel better about losing 1k, but might not make me much better that the wa*ker that sold it.

interesting, might pop over my mates garage and have a chat about what could be 'adjusted'!?!?

would feel better about losing 1k, but might not make me much better that the wa*ker that sold it.

It depends who you are handing it back to, the garage who didnt know, I wouldnt...

The lease company, who shouldnt have registered the car in the rentee's name, I would ;)

E46 320D Tourer!
I'm a bit confused about the HPi situation, why would it have been clear then but not now?

basically mate, a bloke rents the car and get the V5 willingly registered in his name! rents it for 3 months, giving him 2 and a half months by the time the new V5 has come through to sell it, get his cash and do a runner before the rental firm even realise he doesnt have the car to give back.

rental firm realise and report as stolen.

E46 320D Tourer!
It depends who you are handing it back to, the garage who didnt know, I wouldnt...

The lease company, who shouldnt have registered the car in the rentee's name, I would ;)

oh if it goes anywhere at all it would have to be back to the original owner, in which case might loosen a bolt or two on the water pump! think that'll do it!

BG 182
I'm 21 matey so could still do with learning, but we all learn continuously I guess?

Yeah that's probably me, I'm on that road frequently. I can't say I've noticed many BGs around this area, but I'm chuffed with it.

E46 320D Tourer!
Tbh mate I reckon 21's plenty good enough to me. I joined at 19, and looking back I had loads of life experience and gob to match! But I think I was too young, 21 would have been better.

If it was yours it was a pretty shiny one!!!

BG 182
I try and keep her clean, when ive got the time. The bodyworks not great but il get it to how i want it sometime. Its just the one thing ive always wanted to do and stood by. Im debating a small amount of travelling before i reaply but i guess i need to find that individual little something to justify them taking me on over any other person.

E46 320D Tourer!
yeah i know what you mean mate. had a 172 cup a few years back and spent nearly all my time detailing it! was gonna detail this one, but theres no point till i know if i can keep it!

honestly mate, go travelling first, you'll regret it in a few years, as you just cant get the time off in the police! as i do!

BG 182
I think thats what i need to do first. Whilst ive got the opportunity too. That would offer a lot more towards my life experience too.

BMW M135i
That is a s**tter, that makes it a cat d. But at the end of the day if you tell the next buyer the full story, there is no reason that the car should decrease in value.
How does it? Unless i've missed the point where an insurance company have payed out for a total loss on the VRM? A Cat D in this case would be stolen recovered but the insurance company have already payed out to the (now previous) owner.

This one will be just flagged as stolen, won't be on the insurance database as a stolen/recovered write off.

E46 320D Tourer!
i'm lead to believe it would say stolen/recovered on a HPi check. This alone would reduce the value of the vehicle!

*****UPDATE*****

Having spoken to the police from West Yorks today, they have taken the stolen marker off of the Police National Computer Database, so I can start using the vehicle again. I've had to sight a Section 66, meaning I cant sell the car or do anything to it until this whole thing is settled.

She has informed me that as far as the Police/Solicitors and CPS are concerned the ownership of the vehicle is a civil matter and not a issue for the police to decide. The original owner was rightly up in arms when he was told this as he wants his car back or the money it's worth. Apparently though he's sought legal advice in relation to taking me to small claims court, and his legal rep has advised that it would cost more than what the cars worth, and he'd still probably lose as I bought the vehicle legally and paid a reasonable amount for it, etc, etc.

He'd have more chance taking the bloke who rented it from him to court and getting his money that way.

So, i've got to wait a week or two for the bloke to decide whether he's gonna take me to small claims court or not, and the police will let me know then. Fingers crossed he wont and i'll get to keep her! From what the police officer said it sounds like he's not going to bother and take it as a lesson learnt.

Clio Sport 197
Well that is pretty unlucky mate! But your bloody unlucky after meeting you today too when leaving!!! Lol!!!!