ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HTC Desire HD - Finally!

SLK 350
Well as per this thread I managed to happen upon a somewhat unexpected Desire HD.

Never used Android before but I have to say Froyo is fking awesome, coming from my 3G it just feels liberating and that I don't need to hack ny phone to fk to get it to do what I need!

On to the phone, the first thing you notice is its size, this isn't a small phone and makes my 3G look compact. Thankfully the phone is slim and no thicker than the 3G. The reason its larger though as you know is a beautiful 4.3" screen! Technically the resolution isn't as high as the iPhone4, or as vivid as the Galaxy S, however to my eye this is every bit as impressive as either. In fact i'll go one step higher, I'll say It's more impressive due to It's sheer size.

The phone is rapid, which comes as no surprise with a 1GHZ Snapdragon processor and 768MB of RAM. I've yet to stretch its legs fully simply because I'm still fumbling my way through the OS. After coming from a 3G though, my god its a new world.

My immediate likes are the suggestions and corrections as you type, it's extremely useful and very accurate. The next is the full Flash 10.1 support, which despite what Apple like to think is still very much required for a full rich web experience, it runs flawlessly on everything I've tried at it so far, sorry Steve you fail. The next thing is the browser, full screen browsing on a 4.3" screen, well you soon forget about Safari and it'd lack of customisation, it makes life so easy! Finally the camera seems very nice indeed, with 8Mp and 720p video I guess it was always going to be an improvement from where I've come from, but nice little touches sweeten it more, the ability to zoom whilst recording video, or to turn in the dual xenon flash for example, or the customisation with balance/exposure and anything else you need, oh and face detection finishes it off.

Negatives? Well size could be an issue for some, if you've got small pockets or you think the iPhone is big, well walk away now. By no means is it Dell Streak proportions, but it's a full on handful.

So there it is anyway, It's an amazing device and I honestly doubt any smartphone fan could find a lot wrong with it. I've used all the contenders, but I think this beautiful takes some beating... needless to say, I won't be missing Apple anytime soon!

If anybody wants any photos or info, let me know!

SLK 350
Aside from the fact it carries 50% more RAM, yeah it's pretty much identical (ignoring the screen/chassis).

Ok, some negatives I've discovered tonight:

Android Market, sh*t, just sh*t, there's some notable exceptions of apps I commonly used on iPhone (Sky Sports Mobile, Sky Sports News, Find Me TV, Facebook (Android version is pap)) which is a shame. More over the Market just isn't as intuitive to navigate around, the search results are horrendous, and if that wasn't enough of a kick in the balls, the prices are more thank their iPhone siblings (Wunder Radio 40p more, Logmein £3 more), which is annoying... Angry Birds is free for the moment, but it won't fking install, just keeps telling me it's unsuccessful with no clue given (Google Earth/Sky Map all installed OK).

The other major bugbear I have is services like iPlayer aren't as slick, slider bars in particular are clunky, and the quality of the feed doesn't seem to be as high. The other one is TVcatchup, the main site works OK in flash, but the iPhone/Mobile specific sites refuse to function... basically means it's useless.

I'm quickly seeing that Android as an OS is superb, but that the platform isn't developed as fully as Apple's, and that the developer and corp support for iPhone is something I took for granted. Going to have a think about the pro/cons and play it by ear... right now my SIM is still in my iPhone. I'm now thinking should I take it back and accept that an iPhone4, begrudgingly is the only real alternative given my usage habits.

I love it, but it needs some thought!

Facelift R53 Cooper S
FLOL, such a contrast to your original post.

The contract is up on my 3GS soon and i thought that I'd be potentially looking at an Android device myself, But I feel Android isn't quite there yet.

Android hardware is there (and in most cases better than iP4) but the thing that attracts me back to Apple is the fact I know the phone will just work. It will do exactly what I want it to do and with such simplicity that even my 3 year old sister can navigate the phone.

I really do feel Android is JUST for anti-iPhone people, as in comparison the OS is no-where near as fluid and from my limited experience of the OS it feels clunky and not as unified as an iPhone, also the OS as a whole is too fragmented which stunts development.

Maybe by this time next year they will have it upto par (by my standards) when they release Gingerbread or whatever the next iteration of the OS is called.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I don't see how TV catchup is useless? It works fine on my Desire using flash. For the Market try AppBrain.
For Sky sports what about Mobile Sports News and Sky News Reader?
The thing with Android is you need to look for the equivalent apps compared to Iphone. Not all are as good yet but it's getting there..

young_lew, Android isn't JUST for anti-iPhones people at all. That's just a stupid iPhone Fanboy comment tbh. I too also know that my Desire just works, just like your apple. And as you say you have limited experience of the OS. Use it properly and you will soon find it isn't clunky at all and is in fact perfectly fluid. Well 2.1 and above....

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
just had a look on t-mobile site and it's £10 more a month than non HD. This cold be my next new phone.

SLK 350
I managed to get TVcatchup working perfectly in the end using the m.tvcatchup.com link, didn't work last night, but that may have been me being retarded somehow. Can you suggest a list of nice apps for me to look into matey?

I agree about the anti-iphone comment, it's not the case at all. In fact Android (2.2) is easily as fluid and intuitive as iOS, except that if you want to go delving deeper into settings/customisation and personalising YOUR phone, well, it lets you... I can even use custom SMS tones natively, it's that good lol.

I just need some time to adjust to a new way of life I think :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I managed to get TVcatchup working perfectly in the end using the m.tvcatchup.com link, didn't work last night, but that may have been me being retarded somehow. Can you suggest a list of nice apps for me to look into matey?

I agree about the anti-iphone comment, it's not the case at all. In fact Android (2.2) is easily as fluid and intuitive as iOS, except that if you want to go delving deeper into settings/customisation and personalising YOUR phone, well, it lets you... I can even use custom SMS tones natively, it's that good lol.

I just need some time to adjust to a new way of life I think :)

It depends what apps your into really. Sky sports wouldn't appeal to me but My tracks for my mountain biking would... Best having a read through the android best apps thread on here for a few ideas!

There are however a few compulsory apps that everyone should have though. Lookout is good for free antivirus and backup. 3G watchdog for keeping an eye on your internet usage. App to SD for moving apps without having to think about it too much. Astro file manager is good. Battery Status Pro works better than the green bar at the top.
Give AppBrain a try, http://www.appbrain.com/ You can do it all from your PC then;).

Some good games are Angry birds, Super KO boxing 2, Abduction, Speedx 3D, My paper plane.

330 Ci
How do you find the frustrtaingly small space bar for texting with?

I had a HTC desire a week back but chopped it in due to this.. currently sat using my iphone 3g until something better comes along - im guessing this isnt it form what your saying? :(

330 Ci
it's still smaller than the iphones..

maybe it just takes some getting used to - i always ended up hitting full stops inbetween words instead of the space

Last edited:
  Facelift R53 Cooper S
young_lew, Android isn't JUST for anti-iPhones people at all. That's just a stupid iPhone Fanboy comment tbh. I too also know that my Desire just works, just like your apple. And as you say you have limited experience of the OS. Use it properly and you will soon find it isn't clunky at all and is in fact perfectly fluid. Well 2.1 and above....

I wouldn't say i was a fan boy tbh as i would happily make the switch over to Android when the right device appears on the market.

And with regards to my anti-iPhone comment that was based on my experience of people i know with Android phones although it did come across as a sweeping statement.

You have to have an antivirus app on your phone?

lol, I did think this!

+1!??

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
You have to have an antivirus app on your phone?

No but it can't hurt and its free...
Plus it does data backup and you can track the phone on maps should you loose it. It will also let you set an alarm off to help you find it or just wipe it out remotely if you still can't find it. Whats not to like about it:).

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't say i was a fan boy tbh as i would happily make the switch over to Android when the right device appears on the market.

And with regards to my anti-iPhone comment that was based on my experience of people i know with Android phones although it did come across as a sweeping statement.

+1!??

It is clearly a fan boy statement imo. Fanboys say it to try and defend the fact that not everyone wants an iphone and not everyone thinks they're the best. You could just as easily say all of the BB, SE, Nokia, the list goes on, owners are all anti Apple. Utter bullshit...

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Hoff,Can you comment on battery life yet?

Thats the only thing that bothers me, the small battery for such a big screened phone.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
It is clearly a fan boy statement imo. Fanboys say it to try and defend the fact that not everyone wants an iphone and not everyone thinks they're the best. You could just as easily say all of the BB, SE, Nokia, the list goes on, owners are all anti Apple. Utter bullshit...

You almost sound angry lol.

As they say different strokes for different folks.

Giulietta 940
I was annoyed when I heard this was coming out, but from what I can see it doesn't offer much over the original Desire which I opted for earlier this year.

I agree with your sentiments regarding the app market, it definitely does need a lot of work. Hopefully Gingerbread will make improvements...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
So the OS is good, but the eco system is rubbish?

is it easy to sync music on it?

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, i guess the whole thing about iOS is its near zero setup time. Sometimes too much customisation is a bad thing. With you on the sms alerts not being very good, but 4.2 solves that (kinda)

Mito Sportiva 135
Also just to say there are 2 versions of Facbeook on Android - the app and just using it through the website directly obviously optimised for the phone). Have to say I usually use the latter - but both are on par or better than the ios version on the iPhone.

Agreed about the marketplace though, still needs more support.

I may look at the HTC Windows 7 offerings as I love the hardware but I don't use that much use of all the apps available - as long as I can text, call, check football, email and ocassionally find out how to get somewhere on a map I am happy!

SLK 350
So the OS is good, but the eco system is rubbish?

is it easy to sync music on it?

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, i guess the whole thing about iOS is its near zero setup time. Sometimes too much customisation is a bad thing. With you on the sms alerts not being very good, but 4.2 solves that (kinda)

Tom, the OS and HW are bang on, everything flies with some very nice additions that frankly you'll never see the likes of in iOS. Transition from iPhone to Android is pretty swift, but there are obviously a lot more layers to Android, which take a little adjusting to. Everything I previously needed to JB my phone for is included in Android... right now I can't see why anybody would want to root on Froyo.

Media syncing it basically a drag and drop affair, on plugging into your USB you're prompted on what action to take Removable Drive/Tether/Share Connection/Charge Only. I've just made folders on my Micro SDHC card (Music/Video/p**n) and dragged n dropped. With something like ES File Explorer/Astro (free) you can browse the full directory structure of your phone. Also found Rockplayer/Vplayer last night which mean I can just drop DivX/Xvid/.MKV in to my Video folder and play natively (goodbye handbrake!).

The Market isn't as bad as I first thought, it's just the results aren't sorted as you'd expect, searching "Vodafone" for example will produce a 100 results, but official Vodafone apps won't be sat alongside each other, they'll be thrown randomly across the full range, which IMO is a PITA, you need to know what you're searching for. Just wish Google would do what they're good at and rationalise things.

Other than that, very happy now I've gotten to grips with it.

One fly in the ointment though is pretty major, currently when I make calls my screen turns black (even if not next to my face) and stays black throughout the call, it means I can't hang up, and after the call ends, it still remains black. Button presses do nothing to remedy it, it's almost the opposite of the iPhone proximity issue. Going to research it, but as yet not many folk have one, so I can't tell if it's a widespread issue.

Also just to say there are 2 versions of Facbeook on Android - the app and just using it through the website directly obviously optimised for the phone). Have to say I usually use the latter - but both are on par or better than the ios version on the iPhone.

Agreed about the marketplace though, still needs more support.

I may look at the HTC Windows 7 offerings as I love the hardware but I don't use that much use of all the apps available - as long as I can text, call, check football, email and ocassionally find out how to get somewhere on a map I am happy!

Yeah, I've used both versions, and you're smoking crack. They're nowhere near as accomplished as the iOS version. If I go into the app and click on a notification, well guess what, it opens in the fking browser. Oh and tagging pictures? Nope.

TT 225+
I have a bit of a dilemma on this front, i'm torn between the iphone 4 and the desire hd, i know how good the iphones operating system is, i have an ipod touch, so i know it would work. Only thing putting me off is the price. although i know i probably shouln't be put off by this.

Also, i dont want to get the desire hd just because its cheaper as i will feel disappointed if it isn't as good. but i love the design, and the fact it syncs with facebook, and the display, plus the fact that it is a lot cheaper and the review is just as good. i just dont know if it gets ruined by not being quite up to scratch with the iphones system? I honestly dont know what to get!

SLK 350
Ok update. My proximity issue is fixed, rather unbelievably:

Android Forums said:
*** ANOTHER UPDATE ***

There are some reports now that say blowing on the sensor fixes it. And if you're wondering, the sensor is to the right of the big speaker at the top of the phone.

Alternatively, could have been a silent OTA done by HTC (hopefully)

Bizarre, but simply blowing into the mesh at the top of the phone has resolved it. I'm now 100% happy with the device :)

It seems only some phones were affected after all.

Ok update. My proximity issue is fixed, rather unbelievably:

Bizarre, but simply blowing into the mesh at the top of the phone has resolved it. I'm now 100% happy with the device :)

It seems only some phones were affected after all.

thats good as ive just ordered this phone and it's arriving on tue but as soon as it arrives i need to get it unlocked as it is on 3 and im on 02

SLK 350
My phone came unlocked from P4U on Voda, not sure if that's the norm.

There's an OTA update waiting, so apply that. Settings>About Phone>System software update.

my desire hd arrived today from 3 and was unlocked so all good. I'm just playing with it now so far I'm impressed i really like it . Just done the OTA Update aswell need some good apps and games now.

koi

Audi S1
Surprised the cs grammar police haven't picked up on this but when you make a phone call it says 'dialing' in the corner!

182cup & 172 racecar
Coming from my Samsung to a Desire,I find the text so small I can't read it.I have now got to find my glasses every time I want to read at text,pain in the arse.Is there anyway to make it bigger?