ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hummmmmmmmmmmm

Thats the noise my car seems to be making every time I go over 60kmh. Its only happened/Ive only noticed in the last few weeks and it comes from all 4 wheels. Any ideas if somethings wrong or am I just noticing the noise now?

Its a 2001 172 on 205/40R17s if that makes any difference.

Thanx

Is it a continuous drone? If so, it sounds like your wheel bearings are on their way out. Be very surprised if its all four - would only happen if the car has been left standing for a very long time, as the grease on the bearings would dry up. The lack of lubricant would cause the bearings to perish.

Dno

Wouldnt that make the noise all the time though? It only starts at 60 and as soon as I drop below this it disappears!! As I get faster, it doesnt seem as loud but that could be the screams from the passengers drowning it out :devilish:

Thanx

My wheel bearings are humming at 40 miles an hour, but make no noise below this speed, and if I go faster it does quieten down. I know mine is definitely the wheel bearings as my renault mechanic confirmed it. The noise will get louder and louder as the bearing gets worse through driving it. I reckon you should get it checked to be sure.

Are wheel bearings something that shoud be replaced as a priority or can it wait till the next time Im at the garage?

Thanx

How loud is your hum? If its just a mild drone, then you can leave it a little while, but if it f*ckin loud, then get it done sharpish. I still reckon you should just get a mechanic to check it out, just incase.

It happens even if I coast at 60kmh with the car in neutral!! And as soon as it drops below 60, you cant hear it. Once you get to 120 or so then it seems to disappear but this could be the rest of the noise catching up to the same level?

I had a better listen last night and I think its only coming from the back but couldnt tell if it was only one side.

Any luck so far m8? Since youve mentioned it ive noticed something similar on mine, as soon as i hit 60mph theres a really loud humming, if i go faster it seems to quieten down. I never noticed before as whenever i hit the motorways i always turned up the radio to drown out the noise :)

By the way, do u get any shaking, if not its likely to be a rear one?