ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I’m £2,000 down, but

Land Rover
......Got the Clio back from Birchdown and it’s a lot better.....
Silent gearbox
And the first time l pressed the clutch my foot nearly went through the floor, it’s so light
And the engine is so much smoother no kangarooing in traffic, must have been because the timing was out, as they didn’t do anything else to it
(They said the timing was out)
And the aircon is a lot better, it did work after l had it regarded but struggled to cool the car in this hot weather but now it is properly cold (new condenser fitted)
The climate control actually works, it doesn’t just sit there with the fan on full trying to cool the car.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
But so worth it by the sounds of it. Birchdown still going strong then? My cup went there about 10 years ago

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I'm so lucky to have working air con in my daily! Had too many years of suffering without it in previous cars. Money well spent by the sounds of it.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
But so worth it by the sounds of it. Birchdown still going strong then? My cup went there about 10 years ago

The longest running trader mentioned on here iirc
That says a lot! thing is they never post up either promoting themselves also says a lot! maybe if you are genuinely good at what you do you don't need too!??

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The longest running trader mentioned on here iirc
That says a lot! thing is they never post up either promoting themselves also says a lot! maybe if you are genuinely good at what you do you don't need too!??
True dat, 100%

Still a mad little garage, not what I expected when I turned up ha. Good of them to lend me their van rather than wander around the wilderness

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Nice to hear your cars back to full health . The guys @Birchdown are spot on . No BS , they just work their magic . @davo172 You're right , they don't need to promote themselves because they're always busy . Word of mouth is promotion enough .

Land Rover
Well my wallet is even lighter than the clutch in my Clio now!!
But l think the car was worth it, should be good for a few years.
Worth thinking about...plenty of £2,000 182’s for sale but most will be due a fair bit of catch-up maintenance.
My cam belt wasn’t actually due until next year but l decided to get it done, and the clutch was fine just very heavy.
I’m glad l got the cam belt done as the car is so much better to drive in traffic without having to balance it on the clutch to stop it kangarooing in the low gears.

Land Rover
I don’t know, as the gearbox was out anyway l don’t think there was much labour just the parts.
The clutch kit was around £100

The gearbox repair was the stinker, it was worse than they thought “one of the worst they have seen” (although it worked fine just noisy)
The repair cost £440+VAT and then there was £60+VAT for carriage to and from the repairers.
Their other gearbox repairers wanted £900! So they told me anyway. The gearbox went to
Agency Transmissions
I’ll copy the invoice on to here if people want a cost breakdown.
I tried four local garages first. Two didn’t want the job, one quoted “up to £1,000 depending on what we find” just for the cam belt dephaser etc and the other one wouldn’t quote “we need to strip it first”

I considered getting a used gearbox but Birchdown said you don’t know the condition it could be worse than yours.

Last edited:
I don’t know, as the gearbox was out anyway l don’t think there was much labour just the parts.
The clutch kit was around £100

The gearbox repair was the stinker, it was worse than they thought “one of the worst they have seen” (although it worked fine just noisy)
The repair cost £440+VAT and then there was £60+VAT for carriage to and from the repairers.
Their other gearbox repairers wanted £900! So they told me anyway. The gearbox went to
Agency Transmissions
I’ll copy the invoice on to here if people want a cost breakdown.
I tried four local garages first. Two didn’t want the job, one quoted “up to £1,000 depending on what we find” just for the cam belt dephaser etc and the other one wouldn’t quote “we need to strip it first”

I considered getting a used gearbox but Birchdown said you don’t know the condition it could be worse than yours.

Tbh Agency are normally spot on. And always price well. Done about 3/4 boxes over the years and no issues with any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PH2 172
Well my wallet is even lighter than the clutch in my Clio now!!
But l think the car was worth it, should be good for a few years.
Worth thinking about...plenty of £2,000 182’s for sale but most will be due a fair bit of catch-up maintenance.
My cam belt wasn’t actually due until next year but l decided to get it done, and the clutch was fine just very heavy.
I’m glad l got the cam belt done as the car is so much better to drive in traffic without having to balance it on the clutch to stop it kangarooing in the low gears.

The shame is you paid £2k too much for a shiny nail.

I`ve done 4,000 faultless miles in 3 months as I`ve spent money where it matters.

Next up is replacement of injectors, crank sensor, HT leads, O2 sensors, plugs & coil pack.

Pre emptive maintainace is the key.

Land Rover
I looked at eight in the £2000 range and they all needed some work, to be expected after 14+years.
Even the 22,000 miler at £6000 needed £1,000.
I looked at one for £4,000 that had rippled rear wings and several in the £2-2500 range needing cam belts. All had heavy clutches except the one at £3,000

The only real bargain was a great looking 182 in Liverpool at £1300 with recent cam belt, wheels, and very clean, but there was just something fishy about it that l couldn’t put my finger on.

I am not sure l agree that l bought a “shiny nail” though!!
Although l ended up spending more on the car than l expected. The only real fault was the gearbox, making it a £3500 car.

As l said, the clutch was OK just heavy and the cam belt was not due for another year or two.

But l guess there is always a better one for sale after you have paid your money out.
I’ve been offered £700 for the number plate on this one. l think it will stay on the car.

Listerine & Poledo
They are old cars now, really. As said.
If someone wants a good one, it's going to cost, one way or another.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The chance to buy a good one for cheap has passed now.

It was 5 years ago when i bought mine for £1800.

The only things it has needed in that time (excluding cambelt/service parts) is a power steering pump and an alternator.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The chance to buy a good one for cheap has passed now.

It was 5 years ago when i bought mine for £1800.

The only things it has needed in that time (excluding cambelt/service parts) is a power steering pump and an alternator.
Mine was a similar bargain at 1.2k, but then I've ploughed more into it, not because it needed it but because fun.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You got a real bargain then! Yeah kinda standard. Had some things but not a lot

Yeah mega bargain. Lucky really, it was up for sale on here and within minutes there was people offering to buy it without even seeing it. I knew the guy's brother so persuaded him to hold off until i could get over to see it and he did.