ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I bought my dream car.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
And it’s just as shite as you’re all thinking.

For at least 10 years I’ve looked, thought about it, backed out and dodged buying a 996. Since they were released when I was an impressionable age, something about their ugly headlights and rounded 90s features drew me in. I imagine “Tina” from Gone in 60 Seconds, and the Need For Speed: Porsche game did the rest of the work.

Anyway, since the world is ending and everything, figured I had no excuse now. The good thing about searching for so long, is you get a good idea of what spec you want. Whilst the 996 C4S is undoubtably the nicest looking, from a driving point of view there was something else I wanted.

The Carrera 2 is the obvious choice. In particular, the earliest cars (1998) are the pick of the bunch. They use a cable throttle, and have no traction control. They’re also the lightest, around 1300kgs. About 50kgs lighter than the 996 GT3.

466D6596-7C17-451B-A80F-219E2751223B.jpeg

D11FD840-83A7-43F7-9C9E-D79DAE962F5F.jpeg

447CA2B4-D6C5-468C-B888-EED2E2766A68.jpeg

So here’s what I ended up buying. A 1998 Carrera 2 with about 99,000 miles on it. It’s been fitted with 99‘ year lights (headlights, taillights, indicators), but I’ve ordered the correct amber ones off eBay. Luckily every man over 40 wants smoked/clear lights, so mine are worth double what I’ve paid for the amber ones. That’s right, i want the fried eggs.

The other thing this car has that I wanted.... a bright interior. They’re quite renowned for it, and often hated. But the “Boxster Red” interior looks fantastic to me, brilliantly 90s.

978E5576-392B-4BC4-81BA-39BCD7C6650C.jpeg

One previous owner did most of the work, including the wheels. He owned it from 2012 till 2018 when he passed away. His wife kept it for 2 years and couldn’t bare to part with it. He also did something I’ve never seen with a car before. He kept a hand written diary, with notes about work on the car etc.
04FBDBE0-BD94-411F-A1D0-0A427AFB5800.jpeg

The history with the car isnt totally spectacular. In fact for a Porsche, the you’d consider it quite sparse. It’s missing it’s service book, but has around 100 receipts for various work over the years. Including clutch, IMS and other scary bits.

As a result it feels tight as anything to drive. The experience is far more raw than I was expecting, partly due to the M030 Suspension kit fitted. But that’s a positive to me. For a 300bhp old 911 with no traction control, it’s surprisingly confidence inspiring. I’ve only driven it a couple of times but already it’s lived up to expectation. The exhaust that’s been fitting sounds fantastic, the steering is very responsive and the brakes have what I can only describe as perfect feel.

Basically, it’s not blown up yet so I’m happy.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Thats cool, any Porsche is cool.

You do not see that interior very often either.
Cheers ! It currently has a gash Sparco wheel, but I’ve ordered a Personal Neo Grinta as I’ve always wanted one of them and I also want leather, not cheap fuzzy suede.

The 1998 Nav unit has been upgraded to a pioneer double din with car play as well

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Nice price! Thought my mate was doing well getting a 996 C4 for £6500 (black manual with sports seats too!)

Congrats on a dream car!

I’ve driven my mate’s one a couple of times and it goes better than I’d have expected.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
It was not £6k 😂

There’s one on PH that needs an engine rebuild for £8500.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I love that.
Can you post the number for the car phone too, be a shame to not have someone call you in a traffic jam.

A friend of [mention]Cookie [/mention] has one. Same spec. He loves his. I hate porkas so it’s not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
That journal is next level OCD, little things like that can tell a lot about how it was looked after. The original owner of my E34 has something similar but not to the extent of a dedicated book. It has all the old tax discs stapled to the reminders with "Paid at local post office on <date> for £**" written on the top and other notes like "Phoned DVLA to clarify.....". Also there is a hand written letter to the previous owner thanking them for posting the garage key back to the original owner as it was accidently left on the key.

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Really nice that - cool as f**k interior. The only thing I can't get on with are the wheels, I'm not big on Porsches, assume they're not standard?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Such a YouTube clickbait thread title. Love it.
Wonder how dicey things will get with no TC over winter...:p

4GTS/7.5R/182
I am guilty of lusting after the fat ass variants but really that was the smart choice, well done!

I saw a Targa 997 in the same interior colour in the flesh and you do need to be brave indeed, but you know what, it does suit the 90s vibe in the 996.

Hope you enjoy it throughout the winter, porkas deserve to be driven not SORN'd!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Really nice that - cool as f**k interior. The only thing I can't get on with are the wheels, I'm not big on Porsches, assume they're not standard?
They’re “Sport” optional wheels, same as the Gen 1 GT3. I was going to change them but cba till after winter. It doesn’t help the tyres are too small for them, it gives it a bit of a stretched look which doesn’t suit them at all.

The fact the tyres are date stamped 2013 should be why I change them, but the above is the actual reason 😂

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Good on you for just buying an old C2 and not chasing the models up and up until you just don't buy anything (I usually end up at the 991 GT3 and then shrug my shoulders)

I can't deny I'd struggle with the whole "being slower than modern mid sized hot hatches" thing, but I'm sure it feels nice and authentic to drive.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You're not really using gifs properly but ok
Its only there to justifying spelling mum, mom.

''Your moooom'' in an American accent is more cutting than ''your mum'' in a British one.

Happy to help.

Reactions: JD

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Good on you for just buying an old C2 and not chasing the models up and up until you just don't buy anything (I usually end up at the 991 GT3 and then shrug my shoulders)

I can't deny I'd struggle with the whole "being slower than modern mid sized hot hatches" thing, but I'm sure it feels nice and authentic to drive.

I’ve never been a fan of the fast 4wd auto box crowd of hatches myself, but it’s something that concerned me also. I didn’t want “the dream” to be a let down.

I think the swap from a M2 Comp to a 2005 Clio 182 was a bit of an eye opener. I’d spent a few years in faster, newer stuff an it made me remember what I enjoy most about cars. I was having as much fun for a fraction of the cost, and 10-10ths wasn’t into death speeds.

Having said that, it still feels bloody quick. Way way quicker than the Boxster S I had before. Probably a lot to do with the added torque, that and revving it’s tits off is addictive.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I like. What you going to do with it? Other than put the lights on.

I watched a girl film a few years back, just friends I think it was called. The main guy in that hired one of these I think. But it had a massive spoiler etc. It looked ace. Liked this era of car, ever since.
I know nothing of them, what was the biggest bhp model they did in this shape?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I like. What you going to do with it? Other than put the lights on.

I watched a girl film a few years back, just friends I think it was called. The main guy in that hired one of these I think. But it had a massive spoiler etc. It looked ace. Liked this era of car, ever since.
I know nothing of them, what was the biggest bhp model they did in this shape?

The turbo or GT2 probably. But they are the 996.2, even the 996.1 turbo had the facelift headlights before the 996.2 put them on across the range. With the headlights like mine it was probably the GT3? About 360bhp and it used the metzger engine, quite a beast they’re around £50k upwards. Your average C2 is anything from £12k- £18k for a Gen 1 (spec, mileage dependent etc).

The aero kit is the one thing I’d have really loved. Yes you can argue it’s “pretending” to be a GT3 but I just love it, it’s rediculous and matches the stupid interior. I’d probably remove the wing but keep the bumpers. It’s something I could add in the future.

It’s going to be mostly kept simple. New steering wheel and lights should be with me and ready by the weekend. I want to swap the wheels out but as we go into winter I’m in no rush! If I find any I have plenty of time to get them refurbed and a set of PS4s thrown on. If a set of the optional sports seats come up in the same colour I’ll crab them as the tombstones are NOT comfortable.

If I keep it long enough I’ll start looking into Bilsteins, adjustable coffin arms and a nice road setup perhaps. But as it is I just want to learn it a bit more, enjoy it in its “standard” state and improve where I feel I can.