ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I bought my dream car.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Upon reflection... I don't know what it is. Probs a 911?! I've no idea tbf. But yours reminded me of it. + They both look sexual.

so0XaynTxtyM6mbTo9pm4_DGwNUgbpNT927FJVv2LI0.jpg

I’ve never been a fan of the fast 4wd auto box crowd of hatches myself, but it’s something that concerned me also. I didn’t want “the dream” to be a let down.

I think the swap from a M2 Comp to a 2005 Clio 182 was a bit of an eye opener. I’d spent a few years in faster, newer stuff an it made me remember what I enjoy most about cars. I was having as much fun for a fraction of the cost, and 10-10ths wasn’t into death speeds.

Having said that, it still feels bloody quick. Way way quicker than the Boxster S I had before. Probably a lot to do with the added torque, that and revving it’s tits off is addictive.
+1 to all of this.

Unless you live in the wilds of Wales or North Yorkshire or Scotland, how often do we get to spend more than a few minutes really driving quickly? In which case, why not get something that gives you, the driver, a lot of feedback and 'feel' and is an 'event' at all speeds, instead of some 4WD, flappy-paddle, latest-plate badge on wheels that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds but is so easy to drive that your nan could do launch control starts off the lights every single time?

I'm also not really interesting in 'winning' on the road - that sort of thing leads to ending up in situations where you and the other person end up taking (or being forced into) risks at the expense of random other drivers' safety, which is not really cool.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
+1 to all of this.

Unless you live in the wilds of Wales or North Yorkshire or Scotland, how often do we get to spend more than a few minutes really driving quickly? In which case, why not get something that gives you, the driver, a lot of feedback and 'feel' and is an 'event' at all speeds, instead of some 4WD, flappy-paddle, latest-plate badge on wheels that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds but is so easy to drive that your nan could do launch control starts off the lights every single time?

I'm also not really interesting in 'winning' on the road - that sort of thing leads to ending up in situations where you and the other person end up taking (or being forced into) risks at the expense of random other drivers' safety, which is not really cool.
Yup, couldn’t agree more. No pops and bangs remapz bros here.
That my boy is a RUF RGT I'm sure someone will correct me.
It’s got the wheels but everything else isn’t quite righ.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
How do you find it to drive? I haven’t really pushed it in the C4S, but it’s not hugely amazing like some Porsche boys rave about. Lovely cars, and do look quite special in their own way.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
How do you find it to drive? I haven’t really pushed it in the C4S, but it’s not hugely amazing like some Porsche boys rave about. Lovely cars, and do look quite special in their own way.
Difficult to have a full opinion so early on. But so far I’m pleased. As I say it feels quite raw, the steering is very direct as well. Always loved the way Porsche weights it’s controls as well (pedals, wheel, shifter).

Doesn’t scare me actually. Which is probably not a good thing... hasn’t tried to kill me but then I’m not pushing on too hard yet haha

4GTS/7.5R/182
Doesn’t scare me actually. Which is probably not a good thing... hasn’t tried to kill me but then I’m not pushing on too hard yet haha

Just be careful in the wet, mine is 4wd and mega planted in the dry, but lairy in the wet if I give it the beans, the ESP is quite permissive too

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Getting your dream is always worth it and I love Porsches.

That said - 996 headlights are like casting a vision over a lingerie-clad supermodel - only to then notice she's finished the look with a pair of Crocs. They literally make the front end the part that you don't want to look at.

Secondly, interiors are waaay down my list of priorities - but even I would be stretching my limits, cocooned it what appears to be after-birth from a humpback whale.

Still, it's a 911 and they are a bucket-list car for many, including myself. I love the fact that you went for the simplest, most straight-forward variant they did and stuck to it. The Porsches I've driven in the past are sublime and massively appealing, so again, nice work on getting what you wanted!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Getting your dream is always worth it and I love Porsches.

That said - 996 headlights are like casting a vision over a lingerie-clad supermodel - only to then notice she's finished the look with a pair of Crocs. They literally make the front end the part that you don't want to look at.

Secondly, interiors are waaay down my list of priorities - but even I would be stretching my limits, cocooned it what appears to be after-birth from a humpback whale.

Still, it's a 911 and they are a bucket-list car for many, including myself. I love the fact that you went for the simplest, most straight-forward variant they did and stuck to it. The Porsches I've driven in the past are sublime and massively appealing, so again, nice work on getting what you wanted!
Whilst this post mostly slags off my taste in cars... I did enjoy it 😂.

I think it’s a great looking thing. Think I’ll have to go full Gone in 60 Seconds spec with wheels?

1602704193214.jpeg

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Or tyres from this century.

Brave.

Lovely bus - love the reasoning behind it.

Hope it behaves !
Dude it shocks me how many Porsche owners run with ancient tyres. There are a few sets of the wheels I like advertised with “great” tyres on them. Zoom in, all the dates are like 2008. Brilliant!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Dude it shocks me how many Porsche owners run with ancient tyres. There are a few sets of the wheels I like advertised with “great” tyres on them. Zoom in, all the dates are like 2008. Brilliant!
LOTS OF TREAD
(which was manufactured before you were born and has subsequently cracked and set solid, ensuring friction losses are at a minimum).

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Love this Jason.

Your taste in cars has got so much better as you've aged, remember the Boras 😆

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
the rears on mine when I got it were nine years old MPS4's, and they still had loads of tread on them (I swapped all four in June).

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Love it. I really want a Porsche and this is exactly the sort of thing I would go for. Yes a 997 GT3 RS would be lovely, but the simplicity and value of these makes them deeply appealing.

I would be aiming for something similar to what Jethro Bovingdon has myself, with the aero kit and some nice suspension fettling. The 'lack' of power wouldn't bother me at all. It's more than fast enough for the road. More than 300bhp is basically pointless most of the time, despite what people say.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Surely as the price has fallen someone's figured out a cheap turbo/supercharger conversion using scrap parts?

Cheaper cars get the more they get messed around with.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I would be aiming for something similar to what Jethro Bovingdon has myself, with the aero kit and some nice suspension fettling.

Same. I do love these old ones.

Also, they are at the kind of price point that when the engine does sh1t itself, you can have a go at rebuilding it yourself. Or dropping an LS in it.

Excellent purchase @Jason_E

Barring the interior. f**k my eyes.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
5A0B9CE0-4EE6-4366-9FB7-C11C0A43A4AE.jpeg

super chuffed with this! Personal wheel looks mega, and more importantly feels great too. Don’t know why people cheap out on steering wheels when you literally have to hold it the entire time you’re driving.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Love it. I really want a Porsche and this is exactly the sort of thing I would go for. Yes a 997 GT3 RS would be lovely, but the simplicity and value of these makes them deeply appealing.

I would be aiming for something similar to what Jethro Bovingdon has myself, with the aero kit and some nice suspension fettling. The 'lack' of power wouldn't bother me at all. It's more than fast enough for the road. More than 300bhp is basically pointless most of the time, despite what people say.

The aerokit is something I would've liked, but alas I couldnt have it all! Some days I do prefer the simpler shape but the Aerokit is undoubtably the more interesting car to look at. As per a previous post, the CSR looks mega but I'd probaby go for no wing at all!

Surely as the price has fallen someone's figured out a cheap turbo/supercharger conversion using scrap parts?

Cheaper cars get the more they get messed around with.
The prices have crept up in the last few years, not massively, but enough to make me feel sad I didnt buy one back when they were sub £10k! They were even nudging £20k when the porsche bubble was at its peak.

There are many options for this engine. Turbos, superchargers and boring out. Completely missing the point though for what I want. If you buy a car and start adding turbos, to me you've just bought the wrong car!

Same. I do love these old ones.

Also, they are at the kind of price point that when the engine does sh1t itself, you can have a go at rebuilding it yourself. Or dropping an LS in it.

Excellent purchase @Jason_E

Barring the interior. f**k my eyes.

I looked at that one on Pistonheads that has bore score. Strange car really, its a 98 which didnt have bore score issues. But because Porsche replaced the engine in 02, it had updated liners and therefore... got bore score. The guy has it up for £8500, wouldnt take a penny less. Hartech were quoting prices nudging £10k to rebuild and replace liners.

There are plenty of M96 engines that have hit 300k, but it depends on the care in ownership. There are more scare stories out there than actual failures! Was exactly the same with the E92 M3 I had, everyone was terrified of rods.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
That interior is proper lairy :ROFLMAO:

I think I'd have to switch a few bits out for black personally, just to tone it down a bit.
A lot of later cars had much more "Same colour" trim, mine has the black bits to break it up a bit at least.

I also started fitting the Gingerness back. Unfortunately Im having to return the headlights as they were sent in a back with a bit of bubblewrap, therefore are fucked. I've already bought 2 other units (the only ones on ebay). So currently in the hole for two sets of headlights haha. Luckily Im a buyer, its ebay, so the refund process should be easier anyway.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The aerokit is something I would've liked, but alas I couldnt have it all! Some days I do prefer the simpler shape but the Aerokit is undoubtably the more interesting car to look at. As per a previous post, the CSR looks mega but I'd probaby go for no wing at all!

The aero kit is lovely, but not a cheap thing to add I guess. A friend of mine has a 987 Boxster and he was looking at bits, but even replica stuff can be silly money unfortunately. It's a shame, as I really like it. It just adds some aggression that's missing from the standard car in my view.

Agreed, blackcarpets would quieten it down nicely

Agreed. I think it would just make it a bit more subtle. I love the red seats, but think the carpet is probably a bit extreme for my tastes.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great purchase, I still really want one. I actually found a lovely one down south with a hartech rebuild, perfect spec, phoned up on a Tuesday morning and he’d sold it Monday.

I don’t like the wheel though, it’s a Porsche not a 172.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Great purchase, I still really want one. I actually found a lovely one down south with a hartech rebuild, perfect spec, phoned up on a Tuesday morning and he’d sold it Monday.

I don’t like the wheel though, it’s a Porsche not a 172.

I think it’d be a bit more acceptable if it was a Momo as a lot of 911’s have them. A good wheel to hold onto totally changes a car.