ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I dont get it..

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
I have Cup wheels.. and had Falken 205/45/R16 on them.. cheap shite

Today i bought 4 new P2s (£250!! :approve: :approve: :approve:) and had them fitted... but they're now scrubbing on full lock?

Would anyone know why? there both the same size and offset.. and the old ones hadnt done much in the way of mileage

very odd

you'd be surprised but different brands have different tread patterns and sizes therefore different brands can rub, had it happen on my mk1. Budget tyres were fine but when I went to falkens it rubbed like fook!

Da

Less
The PE2's have 'Rim protection' meaning that the sidewall of the tyre protrudes further than your cheap shite would have ;)

Tyres all vary loads even though they are the same size, rim protectors and the profile (if the tyre is very square or round shouldered when you look at it from the front) can make a massive difference to the car rubbing or not rubbing. If they are 172cup turini's then thats a problem for starters on 182s be thankful you arent on coilovers you'd be fucked.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Thanks for the quick replies guys, that make perfect sense :approve:

Is this something that will go as the thread wears a little?

Iain they're already too far out due to being the wrong offset, spacers would either make it worse or cause other problems.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
i think its trophy wheels that are a little further out, cup ones are just a straight swap?

Da

Less
yeah as Loony says 5mm spacers would alter the track and potentially make the problem worse (as I found out)

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Just need to get my tracking done now... garage couldnt do it as its too low :(

Maz

LY 200
Always confuses me this .. how can you put 205/45/16 on et37 rims presuming thats what offset these are ??

Maz

LY 200
Oh right I always thought that the 45 in the tyre size was to do with the et45 offset ?? lol *goes back to the kitchen sink*

nope, 205 is the width of the tyre in mm's the 45 is the height of the sidewall (not in MM its the percentage of the width) and the 16 is the diameter of the wheel in inches. The offset in laymans terms is how far in or out of the arch the wheel sits.

Maz

LY 200
hmmm just shows how presuming something can be very wrong .. lol cheers for the education you learn something new everyday !!

Is this really rubbing, or just the scrubbing that can happen with any 182 on full lock?

My PE2s can scrub like a mother funker on full lock, especially on surfaces such as block paving. My suspension is standard, although I am soon to be booked into GDI for a 40mm drop.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Is this really rubbing, or just the scrubbing that can happen with any 182 on full lock?

My PE2s can scrub like a mother funker on full lock, especially on surfaces such as block paving. My suspension is standard, although I am soon to be booked into GDI for a 40mm drop.

I think its catching on some of the arch lining.. we stopped last night with it on full lock and had a feel hehe - no room to get your finger under there

Lionel Richie
offset works in the opposite way to the way you think

lower number = the wheels are further out
higher number = the wheels are further in

Bubbles youre problem is the design of the tyre, if its only on full lock i would leave it, its only plastic on rubber