ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I hate being young

BMW M5 & E36
When a friend was selling his alloys I snapped them up cheap, and fitted them a few days ago with the intention of notifying my insurance company as soon as I got chance.

I just rang Direct Line and they won't touch modifications unless I am over 25 (18 atm). This is even though i am only a named driver with my mum (obviously over 25) as the actual policy holder.

The girl on the end of the phone said that she was my age and understood my problem, but there wasn't a way around it.

Looks like I might have to put the steelies back on :dapprove:

Unless anyone has any other suggestions apart from changing to a different insurer with my own policy?

Chris

clio 1.8 16v
Same with me im with churchill and they didnt want me putting alloys on, so i rang up renault found out if my car origanly came with the option of alloys which it did, i have a set of turbines and because these are renault alloys churchill said this was fine, so problem solved....dont know if this helps

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
you could do what most people do, keep quiet.. sadly as your young you will most lkely stuff it and when the old bill turn up they will kindly void your insurance for you leaving you totally fecked..

sell the alloys, get a girl drunk, get your willy wet.. wish i did that instead of wasting my money on my 1st/2nd cars

a burnt one
There isnt much you can do, you either drive it with alloys uninsured or switch to someone who will insure you.

Or as was said, if the car was manufactured with alloys as standard fit them.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
You hate being young? there is a high percentage of woman in your age group who are still virgins.

Chelsea tractor
Classic :D

So if you get replace 1 set of renault alloys with another set of renault alloys, irrespcetive of which model they came off, then the insurance companies won't be too worried? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick here :D

a burnt one
Just stick on any alloys and get a Renault centre cap that fits then play dumb,
I wouldnt hate being young, insurance is the only disadvantage.

Wait till youre 24 like me then try to chat up some hottie in a nightclub and she looks at you like a dirty old perv.

Im dying to say to my mates "ooooohh av still got it" but apparently i've not.

BMW M5 & E36
The wheels are Speedline (1414's i think).

Obviously I dont plan on having to make a claim, but I could always play dumb and say they came with the car when I bought it... with me not knowing they were aftermarket?

Sound advice there Alan!

Keep the jokes/suggestions coming!

a burnt one
Another bad point to being older is when, like happened last year, Girls Alound stroll into town to open the new MVC/HMV whatever it is, you run around asking you're mates if you can borrow their kids for the day but its 12.30 on a thursday and they are at school, so you go anyway and pretend to casually walk past, pretending to be unaware that anything is happening.....when all of a sudden, the Tweed appears flanked either side by Sarah and Kimberley.

It stops you in you're tracks, the pre-school kids arent tall enough to block the view of tanned legs in short skirts, mums and dads look on in horror as the old perv, standing a good 3 feet above the rest of the crowd and clearly visible to all sticks out like a sore thumb.

Had i been of youre age, nobody would bat an eyelid.

But yeah, the alloys...hmmmm tricky one

clio 1.8 16v
Classic :D

So if you get replace 1 set of renault alloys with another set of renault alloys, irrespcetive of which model they came off, then the insurance companies won't be too worried? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick here :D

churchill just said if they're clio wheels and my car could originally come with alloys then i'd be insured.

Chelsea tractor
Right so if I swapped my alloys for a set of eg. 172/182 etc alloys then they should be fine about it? Might give the insurance co. a bell in the emorning :)

DUB mk2 golf gti!
plz tell me not all insurance companys are like this!because half the people on here would be bollocked!

clio 1.8 16v
Right so if I swapped my alloys for a set of eg. 172/182 etc alloys then they should be fine about it? Might give the insurance co. a bell in the emorning :)

probly best to ask them churchil let me put phase 1 valver alloys on my RT

BMW M5 & E36
plz tell me not all insurance companys are like this!because half the people on here would be bollocked!

I think it's just down to Direct Line being very picky. Be fine if I moved elsewhere I'd imagine, but thats just more cost.

Another point, do premiums go down at all after I've had 1 years driving experience? I passed at the start of last May, so if I waited until then would it be any cheaper to go on my own policy than it would now, even though I'll be the same age?

clio 1.8 16v
my insurance halved once i had one years no claims
could be because im a girl though
you should try ecar insurance theyr really good

DUB mk2 golf gti!
lol how wierds that! i passed my test may 22nd and i 18! and u got a pink alize!:S :eek: im goin for my own policy in may!the pink bus is goin!

BMW M5 & E36
Sooo.....

The general idea is to either get a new policy elsewhere or put the steelies back on...

Decisions decisions! :S

BMW M5 & E36
Right gents, I've got a plan! :evil:

I was browsing for various insurance quotes earlier, and it became apparent how much premiums drop once Ive had 1 years driving experience. I did a quote with elephant for how things stand now, 11 months driving, and it came to something silly like £2500 with mum as a named driver (zero NCB for me). Add another month on to make it 1 years experience and the quote fell to pretty much £1000, how stupid is that?!

So the alloys have come off for now, back to the steelies. Come May (when ive been passed for 1 year) I'm going to start a new policy in my own name (named driver atm). I will then be able to declare mods with a company who allow them ie no Direct Line rubbish, and then, hopefully, i'll be on my way!

Any idea what it costs to cancel a current policy btw? Direct Line isnt up for renewal until November...

Chris :)

Chelsea tractor
Phoned Norwich Union earlier out of curiosity - What i understood was that I could replace my wheels with any genuine Renault wheels at no extra cost on my premium, I simply just had to inform them that they were not the standard wheels that the car came with :)

Think it costs an arm and a leg to cancel insurance, iirc you have to kind of buy yourself out of the policy

Scenic mk1 (F3R)
my insurance renewl will cost me 800 with 1years ncb 2 claims and 3points im 22. without my sister though (who's a cop) it would be 2200

Mercedes C Class Sport
Iirc, I've heard before that you dont have to declare alloy wheels on some insurance policies, you only need to insure them if you would want them to be covered in the event of a crash/accident. Not too sure though...

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
get your own policy i think you may be suprised my insurance was only £700 on my 1.2 with all mods declaired