ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I know it's been asked, but which of these?

Thanks for looking :eek:

Budget - Around £450 (Will buy from eBay if cheaper).
Experience - NONE with a DSLR, only ever used digi cams.
Reason - Want to take it on my Honeymoon in 3 weeks + long term use in the future.

I've read through the DSLR buying guide on here, which showed me the exact same cameras I've been looking at over the last couple of days.

These are the 3 I'm looking at on eBay.

Canon 1000D
£429 - 8GB SD / 3 x Lens / Digi Flash / Bag

Canon 450D
£410 - 8GB SD / 18-55mm Lens

Nikon D3000
£412 - 8GB / 3 x Lens / Digi Flash / bag

Will the above do everything my Digi cam will do (Casio EX-Z850) and more?

Which one should I go for? Are there any I've missed out?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
  172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Does it need to be brand new? As you could pick up a much better camera/lens combo 2nd hand for that money.

I don't normally like buying 2nd hand (warranty mainly) but if the right deal was there, and someone thought it looked good I'd take it.

Got any suggestions?

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Sign up to Talk Photography. Helpful forum and a cracking for sale section. Could probably pick up a Nikon D80 and a decent lens/lenses for that price. Or the Canon or the same spec.

I wouldn't get one off eBay, and the 2nd lens with the 1000D is going to be sh*te.

Look on camerapricebuster.com

Ian

Focus TDCi
Get the 450d out of those, imo. As said you can pick up a better camera second-hand, but it depends how serious you want to get. The 450d is very good.

Thanks for the comments :)

So the 3 cameras I've listed are very similar? The 450D is the one I think I'll go for.

Feirny, why not eBay?

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Don't just go for one, best thing to do is go and have a feel of them. Nikon and Canon camera can have a very different feel to them. When i got my first DLSR years ago I wasn't fussed about what brand I went for as all the specs were very similar. It was just the feel of the Nikon over the Canon which made me get it. I found the Canon to be a bit plasticy.

Thanks for the comments :)

So the 3 cameras I've listed are very similar? The 450D is the one I think I'll go for.

Feirny, why not eBay?

I'd rather buy of a reputable seller with a decent point of contact, like Jessops who have retail outlets or known UK online shops.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
I'd stick with Nikon or Canon, alot more scope for picking up cheap lenses. People are always upgrading and selling on.

There are cheap lenses available second hand for the Olympus cameras to, just you know when you buy an Olympus lens that it is excellent quality, as they dont make 'cheap' lenses the same way other manufacturers do ;)

Thanks for the links Duck.

I assumed Canon/Nikon would have been a better all rounder, compared to the Olympus?

How does the Olympus compare to the 450D?

Quick Q. I've been offered a few month old 500D plus lense for £410 less than the 450D would cost me new. I'd that a no brainer??? Or does the 450D have any better features?

It's a guy on TalkPhotography.