ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

i need new tyres - help/advice

ok i need some new tyres as my fronts have got zero grip left practically, i was thinking of some goodyear f1s or some pirelli p6000s as these are what i replaced my other two with last time and i aint had a problem with em. still standard size im after 185/55/15s

can anyone give me any insight into what to go for? and also some good prices that people know of, web sites etc.....?

cheers

Matt

By the way im based in the south not to far from heathrow area

Goodyear F1s seem to go up and down in price - I got em for £60 each over Xmas and now theyre £70 each! Strange. But a damn good tyre. Proxes are about half the price - was about £84 for two in the size you wanted.

Oh yeah, from http://www.mytyres.netwww.mytyres.net - only heard good things about them!

Ive heard theyre good, but yeah I think I have also heard that theyre bad. :confused:

Perhaps do a post "FAO: All running Toyo Proxes"?!

mytyres has got a review thing on there that rates the tyres out of 6 or something. Have a play and see. Ultimately though, it depends on what you like in a tyre. Im happy to sacrifice a bit of grip in the dry for a lot more grip in the wet - especially in my car (when its running!) thatll spin at the top end of second gear in the wet... (60mph+!! :confused: Fun though! :D)

But F1s would get my vote.

I would go for 195/50/15 tyres all round - they so much cheaper and theres a much greater choice. Youll get the best rubber for £40 a corner.

Quote: Originally posted by matt_arundale on 27 April 2003

i have heard some horror stories thou about proxes, bad in the dry and even worse in the wet.

Matt
The difference when I changed from my old Yoko A539s to the Toyo T1s was quite a lot.

In the dry I now find myself backing off round corners before the tyres lose grip, as opposed to being forced to back off because of tyre grip levels.

As for the wet, the Toyos are by far the best wet tyre Ive ever had, never had even the slightest little incident in the wet. My old A539s and even older A510s made the car quite tail happy in the wet, but the Proxes are perfect.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

I found the Proxes to be sh*te in the wet, and tail happy when pushing it, no confidence at all. Michelin Pilot Exaltos on the other had superb in the wet good in the dry.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ive got a pair of Proxes on the front now and they are great in the dry and still pretty good in the wet, although I aint had much use of them in the rain yet. Know others running them though and they rate them...

But, I had S-02s on before the Toyos and they were just awesome in either wet or dry, but the downside was they are very soft, so I did a pair in 4 months and they are fookin expensive to replace!!! :eek:

Wear rate is marked on all tyres, with the higher the number the harder wearing the tyre is.

Toyo Proxes - 280
Eagle F1s - 280
S-02s - 180