ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I think this is the place to ask about extra Gauges

Has anybody got any extra gauges fitted to their car? I think they look great but i dont intend to fit a turbo (then have a nice big turbo gauge) so i was wondering what else can they represent, where is the place to get them and are they easy to fit yourself?
cheers

pete

FOR SALE - Mk1 V6

got a battery guage but havent fitted it yet, im putting it in the guage mount on the A pillar

BMW 320d Sport

Ive put in two gauges in an A-pillar pod; nitrous pressure and air/fuel ratio. Oh and fuel pressure but thats under the bonnet running off the pressure regulator.

But the two interior gauges are both carbon fibre Autometer gauges; cos theyre american import jobbies I get them mail order, off the UK distributors, a hot rod place called Real Steel.

If you just fancy some more gauges to trick out your interior, voltage is always useful (an ammeter isnt much good really), air/fuel ratio I found very handy, and essential if youre gonna be mucking about with the fuelling or experimenting with forced induction.

Dont want to sound stupid but what does a volt meter measure and what does an ammeter measure? (okay I know volts and amps, but I dont know what each actually is)

Which would be more useful to me with a big ICE install?

Also can someone tell me what extra guages the 16V/Willy has over the standard 5 gauge RTs?

Thanks

FOR SALE - Mk1 V6

nick, i saw urs where carbon fibre and when i asked no-one had a clue they were about!!! so i bought a std one, sh*t i should have just asked!!! typical u have to be an a** and go abroad!

BMW 320d Sport

A voltmeter measures voltage or potential difference and an ammeter measures current, their names come from the units that they measure in, V and A.

So basically a voltmeter is very useful because it can be put in many places around the car but will register *all* the different power drains that are there, will tell you about your battery, alternator condition, how much of a drain the stereo or lights are etc.

You have to be much more careful with an ammeter cos it goes inline with a particular power line and so can only measure the flow of electrical current through that one particular section. So if you had it in the power line to the amplifier, it would tell you how much current it was drawing but wouldnt tell you whether the battery was about to die!