ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I want some new Lenses...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not too up on the lenses. I've got a 400D std kit lens, Quite fancy some new toys... No silly money, i'm happy to buy 2nd hand?! Filter is also somethign i'm interested in?

Assistance from the Masters?!

D

dick

tamron 28-75 f2.8, razor sharp.

onestop digital brand new isnt much more than some of them^^

check out the canon 70-200 f4 USM,

987 Boxster S
I've got the Sigma 17-70 on my 400D. Its £200, so not silly money, but still a decent lens. I'm happy with it. :)

SchwepTek™
I am interested to know this too.

Anyone know anything about the Canon 28-200? Seems like a good price.

1 Series Coupe
I am looking at 2 lenses at the moment..

The '50mm 1.8' & the 'Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS'

1 Series Coupe
I don't suppose theres anything known as a 'general pupose lens' thats better than the standard kit?

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
the sigma 50mm is awesome. my favourite lens for my 400d. Use that more than the kit lens and the sigma 70-300 put together

1.2 Dynamique billabong
as ukaskew said the canon f1.8 50mm is a great lens. if you want a good 'walk about' lens then the canon F3.5-5.6 28-135mm image stablizer lens is pretty good

Blueprinted 172 Ph1
  Blueprinted 172 Ph1

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
OK. Sorry i should of been more specific...

Not too interested in sports/racing etc.

More pics of whatever, car, days out, animals, people, still lifes. Mega sharp.

Whats this 50mm for? How does it differ from my std kit lens.

Cupra
As mentioned it really depends on what you want to take shots of. For a zoom, you can't go wrong with the 70-200 F4L or the 50-250 IS.

The primes offer a way to shoot in low light without needing a flash due to the large aperture. The 50 1.8 is good but has problems focusing in low light and is also quite slow to do so.... they periodically fall apart too but can take very sharp photos. If you want to spend more, there is the Sigma 30 f1.4 or the Sigma/ Canon 50 f1.4 too.

On the other end of the scale, the wide angle lenses are fun to play with, sigma 10-20 and Tokina 12-24 will let you get creative The canon 10-22 is more expensive.

You could always just get an improvement on your kit lens with the more versatile 17-55 f2.8 IS. It has the best of all worlds, offering a wide aperture and IS. On the down side, it does not have much range and is still pricey for a non L. It is incredibly sharp and worth the cash though.

It is a slippery road you are walking down... once your start, it is hard to stop!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^What do you typically use it for...No zoom? SO literally, plonk it on and shoot?

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You have to use your legs to go forwards and backwards ;)

I've been looking for a new walkabout lense recently too and i'd have to say; you're very limited in choice for under £150

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
That 50mm is only 60£ :S Can it really be any good?

Anythoughts as to fisheye lenses?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
i am a n00b...Hence the question. So worth a punt then...No body's really answered why it's so good tho? I mean what would you use it for over the kit lens...Benefits and Neg's of both..

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
look at that link i posted. it offers very sharp pictures at a very good price. Google it and see that nobody has a bad word to say for it. at worst you can put it back on ebay and get your money back

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
its much sharper than the kit lens, and gives you some really shallow DOF being an f1.8

2022347186_6a85d840a3.jpg

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
How you learn about Photography Ian? DOF? Depth of field? Still don't know what it means...

I just point and press...And take about 20shots of the same picture...1 is good inevitably....But without knowing what i should be using it's a pain in the ass.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
u need to have a look on some tutorial sites which will tell you what the various terms mean, and how to get different effects playing around with aperture and shutter speed etc.

if you just use auto, theres no point having an SLR

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
u need to have a look on some tutorial sites which will tell you what the various terms mean, and how to get different effects playing around with aperture and shutter speed etc.

if you just use auto, theres no point having an SLR

Don't use Auto as the flash goes off all the time...I use all the rest.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
dont forget though the 400d is not a full frame dslr meaning that you have to multiply the focal length by 1.6, making the canon 50mm lens actually 80mm

Revels Mum & Sister
50mm here as well. Awesome lens for pockey money

Fish Eye lens for £150 wont happen and you wouldnt use it as much as you think. Useless as a general lens for what you have mentioned above