ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

i want to throw my bt home hub in the bin

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
BT are shite. I am going to get out of their contract somehow, even if worse case scenario i have to pay them to get out. I don't care anymore.

Now, just out of interest, this is going to be my last ditch attempt.... I have a Netgear DG834G...

Can someone put up an idiots guide for me so I can put the relevent BT settings into this router for me please?

Astra Twintop
I think BT Homehubs are either spot on or awful

Do you have a white or a black hub?

The black ones are a lot better at holding signal

You'd need your BT username + password for their ADSL service, and then plug the netgear router in, and input those details. In the days before the home hub sh*te everyone had their own username + password, come to think of it the BT business ADSL line we have has its own username + password.

Although, I think the Homehubs have a generic username + password built in (from the few ive seen), that is the same on every home hub....Im sure someone will be able to confirm that. If so, BT probably determine who is who by gathering details of your homehub itself (MAC address or serial number or something). If thats the case Im not sure it would work with the netgear router...unless you could get hold of a username and password off them!

Yeah, thats for the control panel on the router itself. The service username + password that the router uses to connect to the BT ADSL network is a different thing...back in the day it used to be your account number for BT and a password...these days not so easy I dont think.

It's A Reno
This aint good. The outlaws got one a few days ago.
Better prepare myself for many phone calls.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Yeah, thats for the control panel on the router itself. The service username + password that the router uses to connect to the BT ADSL network is a different thing...back in the day it used to be your account number for BT and a password...these days not so easy I dont think.

yeah, i had to do the same for when i was on AOL... at least they had a consistent connection...

this is what i am looking for tbh... so yo reckon it is a bit tricky?

Titanium 182
Do so then and stop moaning about them, if it doesn't work for you buy one that does.

Nothing stopped you reading reviews about them on the internet before you took out your contract.

I've never had a single problem with mine.

yeah, i had to do the same for when i was on AOL... at least they had a consistent connection...

this is what i am looking for tbh... so yo reckon it is a bit tricky?

Yeah possibly....you might have a username and password, but just not have been told it by BT because they are giving out the home hubs...

If you can get them to give you the username and password for your account it should be plain sailing

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Do so then and stop moaning about them, if it doesn't work for you buy one that does.

Nothing stopped you reading reviews about them on the internet before you took out your contract.

I've never had a single problem with mine.

don't presume.

it is my flatmates connection he moved over from his old flat. nothing to do with me. so i didn't really have any choice in the matter.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Yeah possibly....you might have a username and password, but just not have been told it by BT because they are giving out the home hubs...

If you can get them to give you the username and password for your account it should be plain sailing

i'll do some digging ta.

ValverInBits
ah my reply was useful! All you need are the BT ISP settings then you can setup your netgear with the settings+your username and password and hey-presto, no more home hub. I agree they are pants.
If you are really stuggling, you'll need to contact BT and they should be able to guide you through router setup.

330ci sport
I'm using a D-link router on my BT broadband.

Username is "your.name"@btbroadband.com, password is BT.

Authentication type Auto

Connection type is PPPoA VC-Mux