ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I'd like an upgrade...

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
I've been driving since july last year (if you include learning/since jan if not) and my trusty 1.2 8valve 'Authentique' (which translated means 'Authentic' strangely, not 'basic' or 'crap') has served me well, and passed me first time... however, as 'nippy' as it is when i'm alone, its not so fast when i've got friends/family/enemies in the car with me.

Now been at uni, i shouldn't be thinking of spending any money on a better car, or on the insurance it would require!

However, i've got the bug...and i really want to go fast, and feel fast... (no i'm not 'a mental')

So heres my plan:

Live without the Clio for this year (i havent got any parking at uni halls) and keep my driving ability by driving whenever i get home.

Second year i plan to rent decent accomodation with some mates, hopefully with parking, and in this year i would take the ol' 1.2Basic

Third year i have a work placement - and heres where it gets interesting

I plan to somehow fund a 172/182 hopefully with <40k on the clock. My options would be to sell the Clio, either to parents or a member of the public, it'll have around 35-40k on the clock. So hopefully £2k?
And then get the rest on loan & payback throughout the year.

4th year - rent decent accomodation etc etc.

Now, how feasable could this idea be? For one thing i realise that alll 172's/182's will have been owned for atleast 5years (iirc) which will make it hard to get one under 40k.

(Well theres my rant, just had to get it off my chest)

P.S. my 1.2Basic's tachometer has broke :(

Clio Sport xxx
my advise would be to upgrade slowly!! If you jump straight into a 1*2 sport from a 1.2 clio, you will more then likely write it off in the first few months (no offence to your driving) but ive seen it soooo many times!

I would advise you to gain a bit more driving experience in a 1.4 or maybe a 1.6 16v clio, drive it round for a year or so, and have a few scary moment in that rather then your much loved clio sport - because its inevitable (for most younger drivers) that as they drive in faster cars, the thrills get the better of them and it gets em in trouble... sometimes it will punish them and sometime you'll get away with it

In my 4 years experience on the road, i've gone from a 1.0L AX when i was 17, to a 1.6 mk2 golf, to a 1.8 16v mk2 golf, and now to a 172 at 21.... and i cant stess enough how i've benifitted from this progression.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
I'd definetely agree with the comments about getting experience in 'not so quick' cars first before making the jump to faster ones.

On the whole uni front...my advice would be perhaps get a slightly quicker car which is obviously gonna be a lot cheaper to run (and buy) than a 1*2 and run that till you finish uni.

I had a rover 220 gsi turbo when I was at uni and I ended up spending student loans etc on it and had to miss out on a fair few nights out etc due to having and expensive car!

Don't regret having it at all cos I had somethin to show for my money etc but it was quite stressfull finding the cash for it whilst skint at uni.

David

RB 200 Cup!
slow progression is good - when i passed used my bros 1.2 16v 02 corsa then got myslef a 1.6 16v dynamique and now on a 172. helps to prgrss slowly

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i would personally use the 1.2 throughout uni and look to buy somethnig after i graduate. i wouldn't persoanlly want the extra hassle of a loan on top of uni debt too at that point in time.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
^^I agree...

gradually getting used to quicker cars ultimately makes you a better driver in the end.

As me and my mates used to say...

"Easy to drive a fast car fast but much more skill in driving a slow car fast!"

Master that and you're onto a winner when you do get a fast car eventually;)

Renaultsport Clio 182
^^I agree...

gradually getting used to quicker cars ultimately makes you a better driver in the end.

As me and my mates used to say...

"Easy to drive a fast car fast but much more skill in driving a slow car fast!"

Master that and you're onto a winner when you do get a fast car eventually;)
couldn't have out it better myself mate!

i had a bit of a roller coaster with cars learning to drive though - my instructor had a Pug 106 diesel (which i passed in first time i might add) but for the first 6 months of driving i had my fathers Toyota Avensis which was much more powerful than the little Pug. after 6 months in that i bought my own car - a 1.1 fiesta.

had that for a year and then bought a Pug 206 1.4LX which i had for about 5 years and then last December i bought my beloved beast that is the RS 182. I've never looked back!!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Pfff, waiting is boring, just get one when you can afford one. Just cos it can go fast doesn't mean you have to go fast.

Dan

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say either stick with the 1.2 until you finish uni and jump straight to a 1*2 OR upgrade to a 1.4/1.6 for your placement year and then 1*2 after uni (if you still want one by then). All depends on what you can afford.

What reg is your authentic? You may find it a struggle to get 2k for it in a couple of years time.

Edit: Your profile thing says 03. Didn't realise they did 8v in the later ph2s. In that case probably will be alright selling it for that price.