ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idea's ?

Stripped yozza'd cup
Megapixels means less than nothing, just a number really, as said though, trawl peoples pictures for good angles. You can get some pretty good shots with an average camera.

Buying an expensive camera won't make your pictures any better, infact it will probably make them worse.

Just practice. Look at galleries, flickr, on here etc for car pics you think look good and try and copy them.

A generally good tip is to crouch down. You don't want to be able to looking down on the roof.

ITB BG 182
Megapixels means less than nothingr? dont talk rubbish. A 1 mega pixel picture wont be better than a 10 megapixel picture.
Generally the more the better as long as the picture is of equal size it self. Aperture is what its about, generally the lower it is the more light it will take in. f1.8 is better thna f5.6

Get in some good lighting for your picture, if its under electrical lights then try and get it so its not too bright. If its in sun light then i would say stand or position yourself so its at either side or behind you.

Reflection shots, do it at an ever so slight angle to catch your current source of light reflecting off which ever part of the car you choose.
Outside is better i would say, carparks do well for a start before its all about snap and play. Try several different ways and take loads of pictures. You might end up binning 95% of thenm anyway.

It isn't rubbish.

I've got a D50 at home, which is 6.1MP. You can get phones with that on.

It's the sensor that counts.

Megapixels is a salesmans myth. Simple.

Salesman = 'But sir, this camera has 12 megapixels, where as that one only has 10, so this one is better!'

Bollox.

As said, its the sensor. Arent there camera phones coming out with 16mp soon?! My old D70s which is 6mp would still s**t all over it.

On 'proper' cameras, megapixels arent that important, unless you're planning on printing the picture the size of a house. It's just a willy waving contest in point and shoot cameras as people who know nothing about photography think more megapixels is better.

Oh....and to the OP.

Location.

Even with a crap car, a good location can give you killer shots. But finding a nice location without security is an art lol!

Megapixels mean b****cks. In the right hands my shitty 5megapixel camera would wipe the floor with most moern 'affordable' SLRs.

Obviously I am crap, so I dont do it justice, lol.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
my camera started with 12 meg....now only has about 4 working as the rest are covered in sand!!! still works and gets good images.

"god I bet you guys have missed me"

David Bailey never had any pixels and look at his work.

ITB BG 182
Megapixels mean b****cks. In the right hands my shitty 5megapixel camera would wipe the floor with most moern 'affordable' SLRs.

Obviously I am crap, so I dont do it justice, lol.

Obv this is very true, even though i have a 7d and only had dslrs for about a week. After talking to some one about them, she took a photo with a camera that is around 9 years old and it was better than mine.
But with a little advice and showing me what i should have done, my now shitty pic is alot better than what she can do with her more modern camera.

Its all about the lens and sensor with image quality and experience.

Buying a 1DmkIV will not make you the next David Bailey instantly.

Considering Linnea Lenkus, Meredith Zinner, Thaddeus Harden and David Bailey are considered the best photographers in the world.

It truly shows how little you know.

LOL at saying that to one of the published CS shooters.

I'll say no more.. http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?441402-2nd-Hello-From-Afghanistan

To the OP, I'd use what you have, add a tripod though. Look at shots on flickr etc. The best thing you can do is look at location and available light. Forget how many mega pickles your camera has, its saleman talk.

ITB BG 182
Bluepete - Im not saying that he is s**t at what he does, but to call the likes of david bailey s**t is a little naive. Im sure of everyone within the photography world can still learn some thing new but to call those that have been into photography before most of us were nothing more than a twinkle in their mothers eyes is just perfectic.

Oil Burner
perfectic....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I happen to agree with planetx, his images do very little for me.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I strongly suggest you go and look at his latest book on Afghanistan, and come back to me and find one single image that is good.
He may have been good in his day, when there were not many Photographers doing what he did, but in today's market............he would not stand a chance.

he is living of the legacy of what he did 40 years ago,.

Over a third of the shots in his latest book, I would of looked at on the back of my camera and simply deleted.

half of what these big names have going for them is their subject matter, the access they get. Take Linda McCartney for example, her images were rubbish but she had shots that no one would ever of been able to get.
I might be biased when using Afghanistan as an example for Bailey ( as he likes to be called, and yes I have met him) and his images, but Army photographers would wipe the floor with him, it is our playground........
He came out and everyone dropped everything for him, expecting some kind of miracle to happen, but it didn't.....he was purely "AVERAGE".

I could name a hundred Amateurs that would put him to shame, Dan Freeman on here....would stick it all over Bailey in MOST conditions.

.....do you want me to go on???

here is a clip my mate filmed of when he was out with us in the summer.........

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf46dh_david-bailey-shoots-afghanistan-her_news

also check this guy out, and he is a total amateur..........http://www.ianpayne.com/

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Anyone any good tip's on taking decent photo's of your car .? lol

Depends what you want to achieve ?

Are you trying to show it off ? If so, you want it clean, in front of something non distracting like a plain wall.

Do you want it to look like it's moving ? You'll need a rig or a mate in another car.

Night shots are fun ... light painting and such like can be great with cars....

When I have half an idea of something different I want to take photos of, I generally look at Flickr.com and see what exif data people have on similar shots. It'll give you an idea where to start with your settings.

If you have a phone camera, and/or have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, I'd suggest getting with someone on here who has a D-SLR and see what they can do for you ! I think Tigger has one... haven't seen him around on here for a while though :dapprove: