ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Identification of coilovers

Clio 172 Cup
Just bought a car and I knew they had coilovers but I can't work out what brand they are.
I'll pop a wheel off shortly but can anyone identify from this picture?
The springs are AST but the dampers look nothing like anything on AST's website. The top mounts are standard and I can't see any adjustment knobs.
IMG_20190127_164926.jpg

Clio 172 Cup
I don't mind AP too much, rather them than racelands (please don't say they are racelands ?)
I'll need to see how good they once I've got some miles on them otherwise I'll look at swapping them at some point.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
AP's aren't shite but it's definitely not them. AP's have a grub screw to lock in place and blue springs.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
What makes you think the springs are AST? Mostly those are grey or black, or kits using Eibach springs...If theres no paperwork for the coilovers expect them to be the cheapest ones...

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
V-Maxx (aka raceland) have blue adjusters and red springs.

s-l500.jpg

What colour is the strut body?

Clio 172 Cup
Hi guys,
The shock bodies are black, the springs have AST printed on them (well the rears do).
So has someone put AST springs on vmaxx bodies and had them powder coated black?

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_191953.jpg
    IMG_20190128_191953.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20190128_194244.jpg
    IMG_20190128_194244.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 116
  Clio 172 Cup
Front and rear springs are AST.
Does anyone make a black strut body that is threaded for height adjustment? Rear bodies are plain black as well.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You have front coilovers and rear seperate shocks and springs right??

Rear springs have adjustment ?

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah the rear shocks are separate. The height adjustment is on the spring as an adjustable base.
Thanks for the help.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They'll be some generic eBay items then, to be fair a retailer can have them coloured however they want usually, just put the order through their favourite Chinese factory and job done ;

x5_608597377nam.jpg

s-l500.jpg

eng_pl_Coilover-kit-D2-Racing-D-RE-03-Rally-Asphalt-Renault-Clio-2-Sport-2-0-16v-2304_1.jpg

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks.
Bizarre that they have put expensive AST springs on cheap dampers (while fitting other expensive parts like new brembo brakes, white line ARB and ad08r tyres)
I guess they ran out of money ?

Going forwards do you think I should look at replacing the dampers with something better and reuse my AST springs?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Is there anything actually wrong with the setup??
It might be cobbled together with some bits and pieces, but if it handles well and isn't knackered does it need replacing?

Thanks.
Bizarre that they have put expensive AST springs on cheap dampers

Maybe the springs it came with were too stiff so they sourced some replacements?

Clio 172 Cup
I've only driven it briefly as I'm waiting to swap my insurance over. I drove it back to back with a Gaz gold equipped car and they felt similar.
I know the spring rates are 6 kg/mm front and 9kg/mm rear (equivalent to 4.5 kg/mm due to being in the factory location) so fairly stiff but not excessive and looks like they put some thought into spring choice.
Like you said I just need to drive it a lot before I think about anything else. I'm putting my money on them being ktec coilovers (so basically raceland).