ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idle control valve

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
following some iratic idleing i cleaned the throttle body and the ICV with carb cleaner.
i wish that i hadnt bothered touching the icv now as it seems to of made the problem worse.
upon starting the car the idle is fine and is steady while stationary a few blips it seems to be ok and falls back to 1000 rpm no worries.

when you put some load on the engine and drive off the idle speed will then stick at 2000 some times 3000 rpms.

ive had the icv off a couple of times and re cleaned, with no cure for the problem so im getting close to the purchase of a new one now.

couple of things, does the icv need to be lubricated maybe before refitting ? would a bit of clean oil in there do any harm (like a dribble applied with a cotton bud or something, not pouring it in!)

lastly the actual icv is rivited to a plastic L piece which bolts to the inlet manifold, in my previous car the icv was bolted direct to the throttle body and looked like this :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Idle-air-cont...226886QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0808051119a33079

do renault supply a new one complete with this plastic fitting or will it come like the above e bay one, there for requireing some fiddling and whatever to make the new one fit.

thanks
Graeme.

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
i had the same problem as you with my sport, you get all the part you need including the elbow with the two 10mm bolt holes,
bought a new one fitted it and was fine for a while
then the pins which hold the top piece in fell out, had it replaced by renault, three weeks later........low and behold the same thing is happening again
THIRD TIME LUCKY I HOPE

just keep an eye on the part you change, i had a nightmare getting them to change the part for me

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
you got it from renault them selves?
it seems a pain to do that when effectively the same component can be purchased for a good deal less elsewere. (as per the e bay link above)
still thats the joys of renaults i suppose.

SQ5
I had my throttle cable changed and it fixed the problem of high revving, it was getting stuck somewhere in the rubber and was also half frayed off at the pedal! Check your cable at the pedal!

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
you got it from renault them selves?
it seems a pain to do that when effectively the same component can be purchased for a good deal less elsewere. (as per the e bay link above)
still thats the joys of renaults i suppose.

yeah got one from the stealers but at least i have a years warranty to fall back on
cost me £60 so wasnt too bad on price

Ph1
Think you could be blaming the wrong part fella.

Chances are this is the throttle cable or the common mk1 172 throttle body spring prob.

Check that the black disk on your TB that holds the cable engine side is sitting on the gromit when its doing the raised revs thing