ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ignition Barrel & Immobiliser Chip

Suzuki Ignis
Just read the bold if you cant be arsed with my s**tty little rant.

Few weeks ago I went to start my car and I felt something ping. I thought the barrel had locked up but managed to get it working by wiggling the key a bit however when you turn to the 3rd position to engage the starter motor, it didnt spring back like it should so you had to turn it back to the 2nd position manually.
Now I had my MOT done and despite telling the tester not to turn the car off because of this problem and saying that if he did, make sure you disengaged the starter motor once the engine was turning over, he obviously didnt understand. So he voided the MOT as he decided to burn out the starter motor when he was driving about with it engaged, he wrote on the fail certificate, 'makeing strange noise' (spelt making like that too) but didnt know what it was. When it now doesnt start...err not really hard to figure it out is it. Some retards in these places.
I dont really have a come back though as it was because of the dodgy barrel, which I knew about.
So anyway a new starter has been fitted and I need to get this barrel sorted.

I was toying with the idea of putting in a button but Ill probably be selling in 6 months when I turn 21. Although I still might if any other way is gunna be mega dolla, tight budget atm.

Question is, if I buy a new barrel, door locks and boot lock, can I swap the chip from my old key into the new key? Or do I need to get it re-coded?
If it needs re-coding, where/who can do it cheaper than renault? Sure Ive seen someone on here that does it for £30 or so.
What other ideas does anyone have?

Cliospares have quoted me £40 for the complete lockset, roughly how much is it gunna be to get coded?

Sorry for the essay.

Thanks.

Suzuki Ignis
Also, does anyone know if the immobiliser is part of the barrel or can be changed over? Not sure which type it is? 1999 1.6 16v.
Dont wanna start taking it apart yet either incase I cant get it back together.

should be a black ring around the key barrel with a plug on it iirc....thats the decoder ring that senses the chip in the key

Suzuki Ignis
^Thanks

Does anyone know where I can get a detailed diagram of the ignition barrel? Once its out I might have a go at fixing it. All it is, is that it doesnt spring back from the 3rd position.

Well i took my mk1 barrel apart a few times, think they are quite similar. Got it back together, worked for a bit.....then took it apart again and i could never get it to work again...had to buy a new lockset.