ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I'm confused by geek babble...advice needed?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Assuming all other specs are the same which of these is better...and by how much...loads or just a teeny bit?

I'd have thought the quad core would swing it?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4600 Processor (2.40GHz, 800MHz, 2MB cache)

or

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor (2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB cache)

This is for a home desktop, nothing too taxing, web browsing, email, some photo and video editing...either of these would be enough?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
2nd one at a guess

either of those will easily be 10x good enough.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
for what you are going to be using the machine for, i'd say the quad core is overkill.

edit: i stand corrected

A4 Avant
The quad core would be much better for video encoding after your editting. More and more programmes are now being created to use multiple cores, so hopefully shall take advantage of a quad core.

SC03OTT he edits a lot of his track footage, compresses to post on you tube, so I would have thought quad cores would have proved invaluable.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I know they'd technically be overkill for what I need right now...I just want to make sure that what ever I get next is as 'futureproof' as is possible.

Our current desktop was great when new, but one too many MS service packs and f*** knows what else has slowed it to a crawl...so I'm over-speccing as much as possible on storage and ram.

Came down to two machines with the two processors above...and the Quad core is £50 more.

Worth it for the extra £50 then I take it?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Erm ... putting aside the 2 extra cores on the quad core.

1066MHz FSB + 8MB cache = Winner !!

You should of match it with 1066MHz(+) DDR2

Honda. Tesla Someday
Cache is always important. Its volatile memory which is used by the processor, and is on the actual processor. This means that the data lets say, doesnt have to travel very far to be stored and then executed from cache. The more you can store in cache, the greater the calculation and amount the processor can do at once.

Its a little bit like RAM (Random Access Memory). This is also volatile (loses whatever is on it when you switch the power off). The more RAM the better as well, because programs are loaded in to RAM when they are executed. This is how you can have more programs running at once without slowdown. Slowdown occurs because when you run out of RAM, the computer begins to 'borrow' memory from the Hard Disk. Ofcourse, the Hard Disk is a physical drive, meaning its slower than RAM, which is flash.

Anyways, spend the £50 and get the quad!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
cache on CPUs is very important as said, easily worth the extra £50. That's the CPU I have in mine.