ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying my MBP....

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, so before I was curious or whatever, now I'm buying the focker. (so don't hate :eek:)

I've decided to go for the 13" MBP with the lower of the two specs:

• 2.4GHz or 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache
  • 1066MHz frontside bus
  • 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB

Now this laptop is going to be just my own, not used for company work or anything.

My current laptop usages are:

Internet browsing
Bit of freelance webdesign/tiny amount of CAD stuff (which I do have an ex monitor for)
College work (Part Time Electrical Engineering)

Am I buying the right machine?

Having looked at them, the 13" is suprisingly large, and doesn't really "feel" much smaller than my 15" dell.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You need to up the "inchage" I just made that word up.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, so before I was curious or whatever, now I'm buying the focker. (so don't hate :eek:)

I've decided to go for the 13" MBP with the lower of the two specs:

• 2.4GHz or 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache
  • 1066MHz frontside bus
  • 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB

Now this laptop is going to be just my own, not used for company work or anything.

My current laptop usages are:

Internet browsing
Bit of freelance webdesign/tiny amount of CAD stuff (which I do have an ex monitor for)
College work (Part Time Electrical Engineering)

Am I buying the right machine?

Having looked at them, the 13" is suprisingly large, and doesn't really "feel" much smaller than my 15" dell.

what CAD software are you using?

also never buy extra ram from apple. its a con...well actually do because if you buy your own ram and install it yourself it voids your warrenty. wait till its out of warrenty.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I thought RAM was a serviceable part so it didn't void the waranty?

At the moment I use AtuoCAD2008, but I've just realised any freelance CAD I need to do I can do on my works laptop. So that's no longer a point.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I thought RAM was a serviceable part so it didn't void the waranty?

At the moment I use AtuoCAD2008, but I've just realised any freelance CAD I need to do I can do on my works laptop. So that's no longer a point.
Thats perfect for what you need then. and im almost certain it voids it if you take it apart. b******s they are.

LY 182
Pretty sure that's the same specs I got bud. Quality it is.

The screen can seem a bit small at times, and in truth may be a bit annoying at times when doing web development but you have the ex monitor anyway! In terms of build quality, and how seamless it is to do stuff you'll love it.

Also for your web development side, there's a whole host of awesome software out there for you to get yo' dirty mitts on.

(And 4GB of RAM is definitely enough, as you've already stated you're not doing anything hugely intensive).

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm all for the conversion, I'm a hardcore windows XP fan, but love my iPhone dearly, so hopefully this will become the start of quite the love affair.

I do a seriously small amount of web development now days, talking about 4 or 5 sites a year, so I'm not too worried about that. Either got a 19" external or my 42" tv :D

LY 182
I'm the same bud. I do more internet marketing where it doesn't matter too much about how pretty a site looks. But I'm looking to build more business up of that nature and it does slightly bug me when I can't have it bigger.

That's why I'll be getting 27 inches of win ASAP!

I look forward to your post documenting how much you love Apple and the feel of Steve Job's d1ck up your arse. :cool:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm all for the conversion, I'm a hardcore windows XP fan, but love my iPhone dearly, so hopefully this will become the start of quite the love affair.

I do a seriously small amount of web development now days, talking about 4 or 5 sites a year, so I'm not too worried about that. Either got a 19" external or my 42" tv :D

im the same. im the network admin/it manager for my uncles company and xp is what we have here and ive always used it (being the tender age of 19) it took me a while to move to windows 7, but then i got the bug, i got an ipod touch, and i had a play on my mates MBP and i was in love. i then took my msi wind u100+ netbook and decided to go hackintosh on its arse. thats where it all began. and now i loooveeeee macs.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm filling with confidence once again, but I swear if I have as much trouble as others with the thing I'll be taking it straight back.

Homo. Get it bought.

I got a semi when I picked my fresh one up last night. The SMELL.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
My 1st Gen iPod is working now. :cool:

All 5GB of capacity.

It's awesome though. I used SRP on the plastic and it looks like new! :eek:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I want a first gen!

Went in tonight, price with 3 years apple care: £909

:D

I'll be taking my bum proper student friend with me on Saturday to buy it for me.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I do enjoy mine. I know i complain a lot but with the price you naturally have very high expectations..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
13" then.

Dinky little things.

Yes ideedy sir! I've looked and I'm impressed how "big" the 13 inch is.

The 15 looks a little bulky for my needs. What with moving into a new house with my mates, this laptop will literally be dragged upstairs downstairs and just sat with me on the sofa/bed/gangster recliner and used for general abuse.

I do enjoy mine. I know i complain a lot but with the price you naturally have very high expectations..

If mine goes wrong I'll be chancing that iPad ;)

Oh, and I've given you some apple based advice in your other thread ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Awesome. The smell is worth the price alone.

I remember the day my 27 turned up. I was so excited that I signed for it with a scribble.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Same! My brother has one and I seriously am in love with it.

Pics will be uploaded into my super excited thread that will be no doubt be posted from my new macbook pro.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
System Preferences: Enable Tap to Click.

That should be your first call. Then enable all the multi-touch features. It makes browsing a sexual act.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm filling with confidence once again, but I swear if I have as much trouble as others with the thing I'll be taking it straight back.

Who's had problems ? My MacBook (2009?) has been fine for 18 months .. my iMac (2008 Intel) has been fine but has crashed a few times for no reason I can fathom.

Buy one .. bring it to me (or I'll come to you if I have no internet still .. damn you, Sky !!!!) .. job done.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
[exhibit A] Topher, I'll be bugging you for this crap tomorrow if you're about.

[exhibit B] Rob, why do I need to bring it to you? I'm a little confused. (lol)

Confusicus say, for answer to B, see A.

Also, I'd like to kill you and bury you in my MASSIVE field of a garden and steal your car and your new smelling shiny BacMook.

LY 182
Chris I just imagined you on the phone, getting hard as you talk about it.

"So yeah, load up your web page, then swipe 3 fingers down baby..."