ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

im finished with optimax!

Evo did do a test about a year ago. It was on a Jag XJS, Civic type R, and something else. Performance difference mid range was up to 0.5s (eg 50 - 70) And they showed photos of the valves with and without Optimax - They were significantly cleaner with Optimax.

Ill see if I can find the article

Astra VXR 17/05/07

There is no shell garage near me but i have only ever used Bp ultimate in mine from day 1.

Ill continue to do mainly because i dont use mine on a day to day basis.My other car is a diesel and runs forever on a full tank and in that ill put in the cheapest.

I feel sorry for people who want to use it day to day and have to put up with the rip off prices.No doubt im wrong but i doubt they can get away with lying through the teeth about its advantages if its all a load of old crap.There are too many people ready to sue their asses nowadays.

Quote: Originally posted by boyracer666 on 10 August 2004
i find that sainsburry and tesco fuel burns quicker in my car. i use texaco which lasts ages

tescos fuel used to be supplied by texaco, dunno if it still is.

R

rich[182]

renault recommend it, i get +2mpg more than any other, car feels more responsive + theres the cleaning aspect which is proven

considering some owners spend £100s on mods (eg £250 for an IK) I dont understand why an extra 5p per litre is a major problem unless your doing huge mileage and is therfore costing a significant more per month to run the car, IMO.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

I think i will go for a compromise then. super 3 times a month, optimax once.

This will still save me about £150 a year so I get my car tax for free based ib what im spending now.

I get Free 95Ron from work (Fuel Card) so any Opti Max would have to be on my Budget, so I never bothered.

Not to worried about Performance its not going to make "THAT" much difference overall, the "cleaner" engine however is abit more of a compelling arguement.

Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup

Ive been putting in BP Ultimate Unleaded for the last month (...& its 90.0p per litre!!) as a bit of an experiment; my only conclusion is that the car hasnt been starting first crack and has been very hesitant & spluttery until warmed up.

At first I put it down to the really hot weather (roll on cold winter mornings for proper induction roar!) but Im not convinced. Just done 21k miles so 3k till next service, and Ive changed the oil every 6k.

Anyone else an opinion?

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 10 August 2004

lol, ok, any brands of engine cleaner?

My dad used 2 use one called Red EX. think u can get it at halfords.

redEX and the others claim to clean out the fuel system including injectors, fuel rail, and keep the valves cleaner. optimax or any SUL are higher octane fuels, supposedly burns easier therefore more MPG and less unburnt fuel. it also reduces carbon build up on valves, valve seats, piston crowns etc which will explain the cleaner engine that EVO discovered. i only put 97RON or 98 in my V6 or any other hi-performance car ive owned.

bp ultimate motto - "more performance, less pollution". well i think thats BPs statement.

i tend to add a small amount of redex once every 3 months or so.

the thing that people claim about supermarket fuel is often true with the more budget brands as they supposedly dont clean their tanks underground as often as he bigger brands, therefore often supplying dirty fuel = rough running for a tankful.

Clio 1.6 16V

Batesyboy: I ditched Optimax about 4 months ago (used it solid for about a year) and now use BP Ultima all the time in both the 1.6 and 172. I find that the bottom/mid-range when heated up is definately much stronger, but like you say things are definately much more "spluttery" during cold starts. Sometimes does not start first time or turns over more before firing. However, I can live with this when things are more responsive when hot. Regards fuel consumption ... about the same, average 32mpg with the 172 and 35mpg with the 1.6. Also, having the two cars often one of them sits in the garage for quite a few days at a time. The BP fuel does not appear to go "off" unlike the Optimax.

[Edited by Flying Scotsman on 11 August 2004 at 9:59pm]

ive just driven to zandvoort in holland, and filled up with 97 over here and 98 over there and i dunno if this makes sense but ive had an extra 10-20 miles out of a tank and its a lot less asthmatic. it runs smoother and happier and if it wasnt an extra few quid a tank that i cant really afford over here, id buy 97 octane fuel every time.

Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup

@ Flying Scotsman....

Cor youre doing well to average 32mpg! Im currently on 30.8mpg for last 21k... but I do live close to work so mainly short/fast journeys.

Interesting about the poor starting though.

None

I buy the cheapest petrol I can find and use redex. Ive tried higher octane fuels and found they made no difference whatsoever.

Quote: Originally posted by NickN182 on 10 August 2004

While we are on the subject (although this really only applies to North Londeners) dont buy your Optimax at the Shell Garage on the Ridgeway in Enfield. My girlfriend knows of a guy who got his from there for his Impreza for ages and he found his car was getting slower and slower. He took it in to a garage and they eventually found a load of sludge in the bottom of his fuel tank that had been clogging up all his fuel pipes. After a bill of several hundred pounds he took his complaint to the Shell garage who admitted liability straight away. Apparently it had happened a few times to other customers as the petrol pumps and tanks are really old and are full of a sediment which was being pumped straight into the cars fuel tanks. It has not stopped them selling it though.

correct. in part. all underground fuel tanks suffer from seepage after a few years, even the normal unleaded ones. the tanks are supposed to be dipped once a day to check the level of the water in the bottom (normally between 2 and 4 inches).

if the tank is runing low or the petrol station has a delivery then the water and sediment will be stirred up so any poor sod who has the misfortune to fill up just after a delivery will likely get a tank full of crap.

when i worked for Texaco (a good many years ago) it was policy to close the pumps during the deliveries and for at least 10 minutes afterwards to let the sediment and water settle. I dont know if that policy is still in place.

the tanks were fully drained and cleaned once a year btw.

Shell, BP and Texaco make the best petrol without a doubt from a refining and adding detergents point of view. Esso is sh*t, as are the supermarkets.

Avoid any franchised petrol stations or independants like the plague as their standards are normally wayyyy lower in terms of quality control on the fuel they dispense

[Edited by evilowl on 12 August 2004 at 1:00pm]

If anyone wants to consider it, and can store it, Sunoco will gladly sell you a drum of their GT fuel direct. I think normally you can get it at some tracks, 105-7 octane, smells like bubblegum, burns dead mast. Apparently the most oxygenated fuel you can legally use on the queens highway.

Braw!!

Quote: Originally posted by evilowl on 12 August 2004

Quote: Originally posted by NickN182 on 10 August 2004

While we are on the subject (although this really only applies to North Londeners) dont buy your Optimax at the Shell Garage on the Ridgeway in Enfield. My girlfriend knows of a guy who got his from there for his Impreza for ages and he found his car was getting slower and slower. He took it in to a garage and they eventually found a load of sludge in the bottom of his fuel tank that had been clogging up all his fuel pipes. After a bill of several hundred pounds he took his complaint to the Shell garage who admitted liability straight away. Apparently it had happened a few times to other customers as the petrol pumps and tanks are really old and are full of a sediment which was being pumped straight into the cars fuel tanks. It has not stopped them selling it though.

correct. in part. all underground fuel tanks suffer from seepage after a few years, even the normal unleaded ones. the tanks are supposed to be dipped once a day to check the level of the water in the bottom (normally between 2 and 4 inches).

if the tank is runing low or the petrol station has a delivery then the water and sediment will be stirred up so any poor sod who has the misfortune to fill up just after a delivery will likely get a tank full of crap.

when i worked for Texaco (a good many years ago) it was policy to close the pumps during the deliveries and for at least 10 minutes afterwards to let the sediment and water settle. I dont know if that policy is still in place.

the tanks were fully drained and cleaned once a year btw.

Shell, BP and Texaco make the best petrol without a doubt from a refining and adding detergents point of view. Esso is sh*t, as are the supermarkets.

Avoid any franchised petrol stations or independants like the plague as their standards are normally wayyyy lower in terms of quality control on the fuel they dispense

[Edited by evilowl on 12 August 2004 at 1:00pm]
Ive always used my unleaded petrol from my local BP but im never gonna use a Jet garage again after you saying that. Ive just used £10 of Ultimate for the first time yesterday on my clio but it is very expensive and ive nearly finished using the fuel.

Whats a good engine cleaner for my 1.6 16v Dynamique?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by 172cup_nut on 10 August 2004

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 10 August 2004

Always used it from day one...renault recommend 98 RON, so thats what it gets.

I saw on Inside Grand Prix recently that the Ferrari F1 team claim using Shell fuel gives them an advantage over everyone else...as the fuel they use weighs less...so they can get the same mileage as other teams, but with 10kgs or so less weight.

Another good reason to stick it in the Cup...;)

????????how can it weigh less
Why shouldnt it weigh less? Does 1 litre of oil weigh the same as 1 litre of water? If not, then fuels of a differing composition can have different densities and thus weights cant they?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

i have to say my 172 runs better with optimax,it costs £3.50 more to fill it up but i get at least 4mpg more to the gallon according to the computer.

Im sure its not just me as the computer wouldnt lie would it???

im sticking with it.......i cant beleive you tight gits parting with 12k for a car and aurguing over 5p a litre,,you are loosing more than that with every mile you drive,come on be real or buy a diesel

no offence,ian

optimax all the way for me. and from day 1.

I get about 4 - 5mpg more per tank on average and better performance.

I ran my 1st Cup on normal 95 then tried Optimax. Significant difference higher up the speed esp after 100mph. Never looked back since.

You are what you eat ! as Quentin says.

Always used Optimax / Ultimate and always will. I do 1000 miles a week in my 182 so petrol cost is high on my priorities.

I get 39 mpg from my 182 ( computer says 40 )and it has only done 4000 miles now and is still loosening up. Mixed driving, mostly motorway with some A/B road fun.

Starts first time every time and tick over is smooth and quiet.

Why should I change to an inferior product ?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ok guys sainsburys fuel is actually supplied by BP

so the 97 in sainsburys is the same stuff as ultimate.

where i live its 79.9 (even cheaper if you have the 5p voucher)

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by pkimber on 03 September 2004

Optimax is 98 Ron so that cannot be right
I think you have the wrong end of the stick or havent read Toms post, he doesnt mention Optimax, we all know optimax is 98 ron, he was saying that Sainsburys is the same as BP Ultimate, which is 97 ron.

Hope that helps before you make a bigger fool out of yourself

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 10 August 2004

Its all a con anyway.

Do you know about the chemical composition of optimax vs other fuels?

I dont. and until i do have proof that it makes a shade of difference i wont use it. Until then the cheapest stuff goes in.

EVO ran 2 identical cars for a year, one with Optimax, one without, and there was a marked difference in engine condition.

-Rob

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

Have used optimax for the past two years in 2 diffrent cars and i believe it to be benificial both in mid range and mpg pluis the proven fact of cleaning well worth the extra few pence.

thought i would use other higher octane fuel if shell is out of reach

theres no way on gods green earth im putting super market crap in my car

optimax all the way, luckily theres 4 shell garages around me

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Illusion on 10 August 2004

Im pretty sure EVO done a test over 5000 miles or something...One running Optimax the other with 95RON...

After the 5000 miles were covered, they opened up the heads, and the one running Optimax was significantly cleaner...

Has anyone got that edition???

Ive been running Optimax from day one in the Willy, and will continue to untill its proven that its all Cow Poo...

i saw that issue and it was enough to make me use it all the time

for fuel system cleaners i can thoroughly recommend Forte, its the dogs bollox, second to none !

id agree with a previous statement about Texaco aswell, even on my 1.4RT engine i could tell a difference when i put Texaco fuel in, it was horrible........

Optimax only for me....

I have been told that supermarket fuel is sometimes older than the fuel you get at a normal petrol station. But I dont know how true it is.

I try to use a Shell station when I can. I just put the normal 95 RON stuff in. Not too sure if 97 or 98 RON fuel makes any difference in the 1.2 16v.

My nearest shell garage is........ in fact, i cant find one............oh well, bp ultimate it is then...................... Splutters at first in the mornings though...........

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

I always run Optimax...Without fail. dont care if it cost a bit more! If i runs better in a race car, it cant do any harm to a road car...

Quote: Originally posted by boyracer666 on 10 August 2004
i find that sainsburry and tesco fuel burns quicker in my car. i use texaco which lasts ages

Who do you think supplies Tescos fuel? Texaco, before tescos had their own lorries it was always delivered in Texaco lorries!

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 10 August 2004
im thinking of defecting. Im sure its cheaper to buy a bottle of engine cleaner that keep getting raped buying optimax.

So your only buying optimax cause it cleans the engine??? Nothing to do with the 3 extra RON then?