ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Impact Gun...(again)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Well my review of the ebay one has changed dramatically. The fuckin thing struggles to even undo 108nm tight wheel nuts. Bought it to tackle the rusted Celica I'd purchased but its just not up to the job.

Maybe its a duff one as others have had better results.

To be fair, my Makita one doesn't cope well with wheel nuts. It's only rated to 160nm and wasn't really what I bought it for though. It's great at making jobs faster, which is what I wanted from it.

I attempt whatever I'm undoing with the impact driver first - if it won't budge I have a breaker/ratchet on hand to loosen it - then the impact driver takes over, likewise for doing them back up - buzz on with the impact driver and finish with torque/ratchet as appropriate.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Well my review of the ebay one has changed dramatically. The fuckin thing struggles to even undo 108nm tight wheel nuts. Bought it to tackle the rusted Celica I'd purchased but its just not up to the job.

Maybe its a duff one as others have had better results.
I’ve since realised there’s something odd going on with mine too, it whipped off the hubnuts on my Clio and the hubnuts on my wife’s car no bother, and hasn’t struggled with track rod ends, lower ball joints, rusted fence post bolts, anything/everything! But then it occasionally struggles with the odd wheel nut that I’ve torqued to 110nm. Weird ?.

Clio 182 Trophy
I’ve had the eBay one since Christmas, thought it was great until now. Plugged it in to charge on the kitchen side, left it for probably 90 mins while I used the other battery on the car. Came in the house and could smell something odd. If I had gone out I really think I could have come back to a burnt down house. Can someone advise me where to go as obviously this is completely unacceptable.
5488B353-2F5B-480C-8C8E-9BB89C78B44C.jpeg
688265DE-7E5D-4605-8898-2FBA730E0588.jpeg
3CCA33E0-8248-4291-A068-8A31C5ED9F59.jpeg
24905908-24E3-4262-877F-A700E6F2BCE6.jpeg
BFF54FBD-AB4C-41EC-96FF-610639A94788.jpeg

Fuckin hell that could have been much worse. Get onto the seller and demand a full refund for a faulty product.

My one stinks the house out of electrical burning when charging as well. Guess its not long before this happens to mine.

Clio 182 Trophy
Fuckin hell that could have been much worse. Get onto the seller and demand a full refund for a faulty product.

My one stinks the house out of electrical burning when charging as well. Guess its not long before this happens to mine.
Same, it always smelt a bit but this time I went to pick it up and it was red hot and the plastic was clearly melting. Keep an eye on yours!

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
The joy of 18650 battery cells, when they get discharged too much they have a tendency to vent. With most of my battery powered tools, once they start to show signs of losing power, I put the battery back on the charge. Don;t keep using and using it until it physically won't work anymore.

I have a 'Woolworths' rattle gun from the early 90's, works from the cig lighter or the wall socket and it's seen serious abuse and still beats lumps out of my cheapo ebay one.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
The joy of 18650 battery cells, when they get discharged too much they have a tendency to vent. With most of my battery powered tools, once they start to show signs of losing power, I put the battery back on the charge. Don;t keep using and using it until it physically won't work anymore.

They aren't 18650 cells though, they're Ni-cd.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Ah, I thought it was the li-ion batteries that you find in most of the newer ones. Ni-cd are a bit more robust in that sense.