ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Imported Clios - Second Hand Car Prices

Has anyone noticed a difference in price they got for their Clio when they came to sell it via trade or private?

E.g. did the dealer / individual offer you less money because it wasnt sourced from a UK dealer?

If price was different what were the reasons given?

Thanks

Trophy 263 + 265

dealers will always pay less for imports.

you shouldnt have any problem selling it private for around the same price as a uk car.

i know it wouldnt bother me.

take into acount the inital saving on new import and uk prices nearly £3k and even if you get a say £500 less your still quids in mate.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

i was yold that it could fetch a up to £500 less but if they dont ask then there is no probs.

wouldnt bother me either , they are all still made in a renault factory so original cost is irrelevant.

Silver Fabia vRS

When I traded my 172 in for my BMW last year they gave me the same price as a UK model becuase I had the alarm fitted by a Renault dealer. That meant it was UK spec.

Cheers for the replies. Mine has a sigma alarm which is a good one and apart from the alpine cd player is the same.

Trophy 263 + 265

im getting a sigma alarm for my 182 on wed. this week

had any problems with yours at all mate or has it been good as gold?

Lee

BMW M2C

Im trading my 03 Import 172 in for a new UK dealer supplied 182. The 172 cost me £12,600 and Ive been offered £8,600 by the dealer. Thats about the same loss as Id have made on a UK car as Cocopops was offered around £9,600 for the same car as mine, only a none import.

The main dealer who is taking my car wont sell it on, they will pass it on to a local car supermarket as they dont put imports on the forecourt, or so they say!

I also have the Sigma alarm and its been 100% reliable.

I have no regrets buying an import 172 at all. Going for the UK 182 as I have a 30% discount :D

Bought my 182 from an importer and they had to pre-reg.

They registered it on the 1st May and ownership change was the 2nd May.

I think anyone will know that even though it wasnt a UK dealer that supplied i am technically the 1st owner despite this.

Didnt have the alarm fitted but the next owner will get a Cat 1 G5 Clifford that shuts the windows anyway so i hope they wont mind!

My last 172 was purchased for £11,500 from an importer and i sold it at 18 months old (MK2 btw) for £10,500 at trade in..again only adjustment to the vehicle was a clifford concept 300 Cat 1 alarm and immob.

[Edited by cnic69 on 01 June 2004 at 10:20am]

Just a quick question?

Where do Renaults come from?

Abroad right..(well with the exception of dealer fitted alarm) arent they all imported?

Why wouldnt a renault dealer sell an imported car..all they have to do if offer the warranty after renaults 2 year one and then the car is as good as dealer supplied!

Trophy 263 + 265

they dont want to sell imports on as they hate the fact that imports are taking a big chunk of their buisness.

come up with bull sh!te reasons not to buy from supermarkets.

but as you say mate they are all imports from the same factory in france.

i can think of nearly 3 thousand reasons why imports are much better value.

if i could walk into a uk dealer not have to wait however many weeks and pay the same price i would glady spend me hard earned cash localy.

but as they continue to keep prices way above europe as far as im concerned they will only seeing me to get it fixed under the same 3 year warranty and after 2 years because they make you go to them for a service.

one day they will wake up and see the money they are lossing.

rant over with now

lee

:D

[Edited by clio182 on 01 June 2004 at 7:12pm]

It looks like "imports" go for the same as UK once they reach a certain age.

Spoke to a guy at Renault UK customer services today and he said it wouldnt bother him if he was buying an import as long it was an EU one with same warranty.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 31 May 2004

Going for the UK 182 as I have a 30% discount :D

Ooh, very nice! Howd you get that then? Is it one of those employee family discount things?

I was going to buy a 182 from motorpoint. I called them and theirs are straight from Renault in France, pre-reg, metallic, no other options, no alarm £11699+£160 tax+£150 delivery, 2yrs warranty.

I managed to get a Renault dealer to do a 182 "pre-reg" although it wasnt really, metallic, cup spoiler, alarm for £12200 inc 1yrs tax and 3yrs warranty.

Works out ~£200 more from dealer, but that has the spoiler and full warranty and is a UK car for resale, which I thought was worth it. They couldnt do the suspension pack tho, but you cant have it all ways ;)

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by andrewm on 02 June 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 31 May 2004

Going for the UK 182 as I have a 30% discount :D

Ooh, very nice! Howd you get that then? Is it one of those employee family discount things?
Yeah, I have a friend at Renault Wolverhampton.

If Id not got that I would have kept the 172 for another 12 months, but would certainly have considered another import as the price difference is still big enough to justify it. Towards the end of the life of the 172 it wasnt the case as UK cars could be had for not much more than an import.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Any car imported from within the EU appart from cyprus is classed as a uk car as long as you tell the dealer you register with to do your servicing.This happened on something like the 17th jan 2001.The dealers were made to warrant the 3 yr warranty because of the import issue.I think it was lee m who had the original letter(not sure)would be good if he could post it up.

Ian

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by andrewm on 02 June 2004

I must try and make friends with someone at Renault Manchester. :)
Find out where they drink and buy them lots of beer. :oops:

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

shud be ok, id never ask if a car was an import, unless i was buying a skyline/pulsar ect.