ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Improve brakes Clio 172

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hello,

I know there are many threads, but I do not like to go over someones thread to ask for my personal problem.
I want to improve the braking power of my 172 Clio. I think the problem I have is from discs and pads.
I have braided lines, Ate typ200 fluid, bigger master cylinder, Brembo 4pot and 300mm discs.
I use some stock Brembo pads with Brembo HC discs.
The fadding is really bad when pushing hard on the car. I read lots and lots topics regarding "best" pads for fast road use and came up with a list:
Ds2500 (1st choise)
M1144
M1155 (someone says they are fine from cold, but not as good as above, so my last choise)

Regarding discs, are slotted disc way better than standard? I can have some EBC ones at around £200, not so cheap as Brembo HC ones.

Thanks,
Radu

Honestly mate just ditch the Brembo OE pads, they are utter dog s**t. Try a set of OE pagid pads from ECP/GSF first before splashing out on track pads. With your bigger set up they will run cooler than the standard set up so no real need for fancy pads for the road IME. Do you have brake ducting or have you removed the fogs and front arch liners to aid cooling?

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Honestly mate just ditch the Brembo OE pads, they are utter dog s**t. Try a set of OE pagid pads from ECP/GSF first before splashing out on track pads. With your bigger set up they will run cooler than the standard set up so no real need for fancy pads for the road IME. Do you have brake ducting or have you removed to fogs and front arch liners?
Thanks for your reply
I will try to order using Renault OE part no. 7701208218 (is this right)?
I do not have any ducting and still got the fogs. Should I try to remove them?
Radu

Thanks for your reply
I will try to order using Renault OE part no. 7701208218 (is this right)?
I do not have any ducting and still got the fogs. Should I try to remove them?
Radu
Whatever the brakes are from Meg 225, Clio 200 etc just add that car to ECP site and cross reference the OE code and sizes.

Yeah just remove your fogs and front arch liners as this does help reduce heat slightly, but I guarantee the issue is those pads. A new set lasted me less than 20 laps on track before they were metal on metal with the discs. I've also ran them on my road cars and they were shocking. HC discs aren't bad but can deform quite easily with heat IME, again Pagid OE discs are more than up to the job as are TRW and Renault OE discs and pads.

Ive also used all the other pads mentioned in this thread so if you want opinions on them give me a shout.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Whatever the brakes are from Meg 225, Clio 200 etc just add that car to ECP site and cross reference the OE code and sizes.

Yeah just remove your fogs and front arch liners as this does help reduce heat slightly, but I guarantee the issue is those pads. A new set lasted me less than 20 laps on track before they were metal on metal with the discs. I've also ran them on my road cars and they were shocking. HC discs aren't bad but can deform quite easily with heat IME, again Pagid OE discs are more than up to the job as are TRW and Renault OE.
The problem is that 300mm size is available for Scenic, and I might buy OE renault or TRW instead of Brembo ones as you suggest. The only problem in Romania is that OE pads are Brembo ones:(

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
@Radugns. It will definitely be the pads you are using then.
Even standard Renault pads for Brembo’s should be more than enough for road/fast driving.
The ds1.11 type pads are great but very noisy when braking lightly.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I have Mintex M1144 on my Megane and they're spot on for road use. When pushing pretty hard they don't half make some groaning though, the pads have probably worn less (or about the same) than my discs ?

I'm going for Brembo HC discs, 197 MC and probably ds1.11 with my Brembo's on the Clio

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I have Mintex M1144 on my Megane and they're spot on for road use. When pushing pretty hard they don't half make some groaning though, the pads have probably worn less (or about the same) than my discs ?

I'm going for Brembo HC discs, 197 MC and probably ds1.11 with my Brembo's on the Clio
Ds1.11 for road use? I am trying to find a good and cheap as possible way.
I can have ds2500 for about £100 here in Romania and is the same as OE ones (from Brembo).
Trw disc are better than Brembo Ones? Interesting tbh.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Ds1.11 for road use? I am trying to find a good and cheap as possible way.
I can have ds2500 for about £100 here in Romania and is the same as OE ones (from Brembo).
Trw disc are better than Brembo Ones? Interesting tbh.
Nah the ds1.11 will be for track use as it's only a trackcar haha

DS2500 are better than standard Brembo pads and I find that Brembo HC discs are better than the OEM TRW ones as the higher carbon in them stops them from wearing as fast and being as loud etc

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Nah the ds1.11 will be for track use as it's only a trackcar haha

DS2500 are better than standard Brembo pads and I find that Brembo HC discs are better than the OEM TRW ones as the higher carbon in them stops them from wearing as fast and being as loud etc
Have you tried m1144 against ds2500?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I can get you sorted with various discs and pad set ups . Can ship worldwide aswel, send me a PM with your address and which parts you’re wanting , as I can supply all the ones mentioned in the thread , oe Renault , Brembo , Pagid , Mintex , TRW , Mintex Racing, Ferodo Racing etc etc

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Mintexx 1144s on my 172, and lovem. No brake fade on track, though am just about to fit my second set in 18month. Front disc seems pretty good nick too

Ive the joy of doing the rears too, as brake disc seems to be disintegrating