ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

inches of crashing!

Renault Clio 1.2
jesus! theres a corner near where i live, nice curve nothing to serious but parked cars all around it because of the train station near there. i can usually nicely go round no problems, maximum id say safely would be about 40 mph. i went round earlier coming home at about 30 id say, 25-30mph nicely went round then found i was understeering, alot more seriously than i thought. at this point i noticed frost all over the road! s**t! excuse my french. so im in an understeer not being able to control it then braking slightly but abs is rele cutting in. madly! the brakes are just not really doiung alot conidering im shitting myself with no control! i see a parked brand new peugout 307 in front parked by the kurb and im seriously getting close to it, so slammed the handbrake up and managed to hit a kurbed with my front left wheel at about 5-10mph which stopped me. god it was mad! the worst part about it is i didnt expect it and didnt know what to do! so luckily that worked. no damage (as far as i can tell) but bloody hell im lucky. considering my aim is a 197 soon and that happened. arrrr!

Renault Clio 1.2
ye mate i admit i am inexperienced as it stands, first winter driving since ive passed. but ive learnt my lesson. just came as a shock.

C

Cupster

For me, if the temp says anything below 2 degrees I cut my speed down by at least half on anything but straight roads, I don't care what any fucker behind me says or does!

Thats probably how I have never had problems at winter times.

ABS was probably a hinderence (sp) in your situation tbh.

350Z GT
For me, if the temp says anything below 2 degrees I cut my speed down by at least half on anything but straight roads, I don't care what any f**ker behind me says or does!

Agree with that ^^
Not driven in a winter yet and am taking it easy and not really going above 35 anywhere (no dual carriageways or motorways around) so am taking it easy especially when pulling away to avoid wheelspin!

Renault Clio 1.2
yeye good idea guys. literally i didnt know the car was heading in the opposite way i wanted it to. i just went to turn and it didnt, so the brakes didnt seem to like me and im so lucky i didnt hit that car. my handbrake save my ass! im so glad my front wheel didnt bend inwards. i could just see my dreams of a 197 disapearing as i headed towards that car!

Renault Clio 1.2
Stop f**king falling off the road FFS! Half of Cliosport has crashed this week TBH ;)
i know mate its stupud.

and i used the handbrake because my brakes were sending me straight into a 307 so it sent me into a kurb right next to the car. LUCKILY crazy!

For me, if the temp says anything below 2 degrees I cut my speed down by at least half on anything but straight roads, I don't care what any f**ker behind me says or does!

+1

320d
The roads are awful. My 1.2 was wheel spinning in 3rd from 1250rpm. Just got to get up through the gears and use as little throttle as possible. I turned onto the carpark at work onto a sheet of ice, i was going no more than 5mph (2nd gear 1500ish rpm) and i started understeeling towards a post and showed no signs of stopping so i ignored the rules of driving in a skid and just stamped on the brakes and turned away from it and it stoped skidding. Tbh i think it was because it go's up hill slightly.

Will have to be very careful this winter otherwise there will be no 1*2 for me next year.

Tangoed Works
true when i had my clio and the temp guage was flashing, i just drove like a gran. nice in the mini that it makes a nice lil chime when temp is below 3 deg to warn you.

be careful out there. the steering being easier is another warning to take into consideration.

Renault Clio 1.2
ye glad to here im not the only one. i cant believe it was only really a thin layer of frost. im keeping my car in the garage tonight anyway, like most nights just so its warm and the tyres will be ok for tomorrow. these clios just cant handly it. dont know about the sports but my 1.2 just lacks handling

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Never had problems in my previous cars during bad weather, but having just got my 172 I'm not taking any chances, esp as the cars windows were frosted up when I got out of work.

Extra room to the car infront at all times, no hard acceleration, taking every corner gingerly and generally being even more aware than normal in the cold mornings and evenings. Not taking any risks, I want to get through the dodgy weather untouched *touch wood* lol

Renault Clio 1.2
Never had problems in my previous cars during bad weather, but having just got my 172 I'm not taking any chances, esp as the cars windows were frosted up when I got out of work.

Extra room to the car infront at all times, no hard acceleration, taking every corner gingerly and generally being even more aware than normal in the cold mornings and evenings. Not taking any risks, I want to get through the dodgy weather untouched *touch wood* lol
mate i was exactly the same on tuesday, came out of work and i had to stand there and scrape my windows. i mean after work is just a joke. i can expect it before. arrr hate this weather.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Bottle of water came in very handy today, glad I hadn't drunk it all lol

Came out a bit late to see everyone standing scraping the windscreens with the heaters on and I poured on some water (I always use cold or room temp) and drove off while they were still scraping lol I'm too lazy too scrape.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Bottle of water came in very handy today, glad I hadn't drunk it all lol

Came out a bit late to see everyone standing scraping the windscreens with the heaters on and I poured on some water (I always use cold or room temp) and drove off while they were still scraping lol I'm too lazy too scrape.

Defo agree with the scraping. One of the girls at work today was freezin her ass off, scraping all the windows with what looked like a credit card !?

I turned engine on .. a/c on .. 1 wipe of wipers .. windows down/up .. waved smugly and drove off

:evil:

Clio 182 with Cup packs
Sounds like a few people could do with a trip to a skid pad to learn how to manage a slide.

You slide because you're tyres don't have enough grip to do what you've asked them to do, so slamming on the brakes and asking them to slow you down as well as turn is only going to make matters worse.

Managing understeer for beginners - more lock and pray

for the more adventurous - ease off the throttle (not too much otherwise you can flick to lift off oversteer), keep the steering where it is, hold your breath, weight transfers to the front, grip resumed and around she comes. Then make mental note to pay attention to the road conditions so you don't need to do that again.

Renault Clio 1.2
Sounds like a few people could do with a trip to a skid pad to learn how to manage a slide.

You slide because you're tyres don't have enough grip to do what you've asked them to do, so slamming on the brakes and asking them to slow you down as well as turn is only going to make matters worse.

Managing understeer for beginners - more lock and pray

for the more adventurous - ease off the throttle (not too much otherwise you can flick to lift off oversteer), keep the steering where it is, hold your breath, weight transfers to the front, grip resumed and around she comes. Then make mental note to pay attention to the road conditions so you don't need to do that again.

cheers for that. are you the stig or just telling people that have been driving for a year like myself that i should know how to get out of ice. nice one. I KNOW WHO STIG IS. cough

jamescolli

ClioSport Club Member
mate i had a similar close escape last wednesday as well except i was heading for my mates new punto gave it a bit of opposite lock and throttle and thankfully i missed it but believe me i slowed right down. I think all new drivers like me should have to learn about what to do in a situation like that

Renault Clio 1.2
mate i had a similar close escape last wednesday as well except i was heading for my mates new punto gave it a bit of opposite lock and throttle and thankfully i missed it but believe me i slowed right down. I think all new drivers like me should have to learn about what to do in a situation like that
aww mate its insane. i could just my well earnt money slowly disappearing as i came nearer towards that car believe me it was horrible.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
roads can be hellish, when it was icy at my bit last week the car park was a skating rink, had to park on the road to avoid!!

Clio 182 with Cup packs
cheers for that. are you the stig or just telling people that have been driving for a year like myself that i should know how to get out of ice. nice one. I KNOW WHO STIG IS. cough

Me the Stig, I wish - getting paid to thrash/crash someone elses cars. If only. I have spent a lot of time and money learning the theory and practice of vehicle dynamics and performance driving though.

Perhaps that's excessive for everyone but I do think skid pan training should be part of the driving test as it is in other countries.

The reaction to a slide is always going to be panic unless you've tried it a few times in a safe environment.

When I'd just past my test we'd look forward to icey weather so we could head down to retail park and practice spinning around the car park. But Sunday opening stopped all that. Hmm, I guess that shows how old I am !

a burnt one

You put the foot down while in an icy skid?:nono:

ur megane r26
lol i do agree with the skid pan stuff, new drivers should go on them, specially with the way roads are this time of year, but i suppose there will be people who then go around skidding and showing off because they have done it before

alien green rs133
industrail estates are really bad when its frosty, power equals understeer back off you get lift of over steer nightmare, apply finnish driving style and you get round it with a big smile cos you didn't hit anything :D

williams and trophy
hehe. i love playing in the snow and ice. best way to learn how to control ur car imo. skid pans def shud be made a part of the test..... too many new drivers are hopeless, makes me wonder how they passed