ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inconsistent fuel gauge

Clio Trophy
Any common or likely issues that could cause this?

This becomes more inconsistent in the last quarter of a tank where it can vary quite a bit. Fuel light can come on way earlier than it should given the needle position.

First sign of a problem was a while ago now when I'd park the car after driving home from work with say 60-80 miles range remaining, needle nowhere near empty and the next morning the fuel light would be on. Needle can then appear low and rise back up again but is ultimately inconsistent.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Because if you park on an incline the fuel will be in either side of the tank. The fuel light for a Renault usually comes on for the last 60 miles of range. If you've been getting 20mpg instead of 30mpg then the computer will think "by my calculations this c**t will run out of fuel way sooner than I thought" so it slaps the fuel light on

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Is this on a Mk4 Clio ? If so then yes the fuel needle is absolutely silly. It sits at the top for the first 100 miles, doesnt move..... then sinks normally till you get to a quarter full. It will then drop stupidly quickly and the range will drop from 80 to ---- in seconds.

Clio Trophy
Should have said, it's a 182.

It never used to do this, nothing near it, and I park on a flat surface.

It shouldn't put the fuel light on and have the range drop dramatically the following morning when I've parked it up with 80 miles range left the night before.

I used to see a comfortable 300 miles on a tank before the fuel light came on, now it doesn't get much past 240. Something is definitely amiss with how the fuel is being measured.

Clio Trophy
Finally got a chance to take photos of exactly what I'm talking about. The fuel gauge never used to come on with the needle showing a reading as high as that, at those miles travelled and the range showing a blank.

Attachments

• IMG-0352.JPG
    IMG-0352.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-0353.JPG
    IMG-0353.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG-0354.JPG
    IMG-0354.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 57