ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction, Exhaust and Chip Setup - Clio 3 1.2 16v Non-TCE

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Hi everyone, I am still interested in making my little 1.2 pull a little better. Before everyone mentions why I don't just buy a bigger engine; I prefer the economy and insurance costs of a 1.2, even when adding modifications to it to help it pull better.

I came across this:
https://proracing.co/en-gb/componen...renault-clio-iii-12-16v-65bhp-detail?Itemid=0
- It mentions it is a Digital Chip and will increase my BHP by 15-25BHP, which is car specific; its not bad if it improves my fuel economy too as I get around 32MPG on my 1.2 (I am heavy footed on times).

If I bundle in a good induction kit and a full exhaust system (with back pressure, no turbo); would it increase the BHP further? Again, I don't want a bigger engine, just for it to pull better. Also, what BHP would I then be looking at from the standard BHP which is 75BHP.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
if you want it to pull better, you want to increase the torque as much as possible. not sure I would believe the claims of that 'chip'. Also you don't want back pressure, that is a misunderstood term. you will struggle to make the D7F pull any better without spending major bucks. Also keep in mind all mods will put your insurance up. I would suggest a decat, sports exhaust & new good induction setup.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
if you want it to pull better, you want to increase the torque as much as possible. not sure I would believe the claims of that 'chip'. Also you don't want back pressure, that is a misunderstood term. you will struggle to make the D7F pull any better without spending major bucks. Also keep in mind all mods will put your insurance up. I would suggest a decat, sports exhaust & new good induction setup.

So I will be looking at a straight through (as much as possible) exhaust system and what would you recommend for an intake setup? Single cone? Panel? Twin Cone?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Why not? They are perfect for road use and they can be a lot of fun to drive, especially that economy.

Unless you're spending major bucks, it'll still be gutless. & if you're spending major money you may as well buy a faster car, it'd probably work out cheaper that way.

But we are all different mate.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
So I will be looking at a straight through (as much as possible) exhaust system and what would you recommend for an intake setup? Single cone? Panel? Twin Cone?

yes straight through exhaust and I like foam filters these days, itg or ramair. Location of the filter is more important. You want it in the coldest spot possible. have you also considered getting the TCE turbo for it? This will get you 110/120bhp with lots of torque.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Dont try to polish a turd.

Also, will you be declaring those mods? You can pick up a standard 172 for peanuts now and insurance would probably be the same after declaring those "worthwhile" mods.

As for economy and handling - I get 35mpg easily in the 172 Cup.

Dont waste your money and save up for a RS Clio. This is Cliosport.net not '1.2 s**tbox but its modded so I get to 60 in under 20 seconds.net'

its also supposed to be a forum for all mks and models... and I would hardly call a Mk3 1.2 a turd. You will get the same mpg in a 172/182 however, so if that's you only reason the maybe swap?

Clio RS 200 Gordini
yes straight through exhaust and I like foam filters these days, itg or ramair. Location of the filter is more important. You want it in the coldest spot possible. have you also considered getting the TCE turbo for it? This will get you 110/120bhp with lots of torque.

Is fitting a TCE turbo to it a big job? I'm not experienced but it's definately something I would love to learn; I have a friend who is a Mechanic so we can work together on it.

This what I am looking for?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twingo-Cl...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2d3f3b48

Last edited:
  Clio RS 200 Gordini
Sorry, my bad didnt see the mk.3 part!! I would edit to delete that as its a bit harsh but its too late.

Sorry chap

I used to get 10-11 seconds to 60 in my old Clio 2 1.2 8v which was stripped but it's long gone now which is why I've ended up with a Clio 3.

Yes, all mods declared; I wouldn't be stupid to be driving around in a modded car waiting for a crash.

I don't want an RS, its too pricey and I've only got 2k to play with.

225 Cup & Williams
I used to get 10-11 seconds to 60 in my old Clio 2 1.2 8v which was stripped but it's long gone now which is why I've ended up with a Clio 3.

Yes, all mods declared; I wouldn't be stupid to be driving around in a modded car waiting for a crash.

Only got £2k you can't pick up decent ph1 172 from £1k upwards.

If you don't want a 172/182 then what about selling your current car and getting a mk3 1.2t (tce)?

Clio RS 200 Gordini
If you don't want a 172/182 then what about selling your current car and getting a mk3 1.2t (tce)?

I will also consider that, but I'm not sure that there are many cars about with 19k miles on the clock like mine has, but if I come across one I'll definately give it a thought.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I will also consider that, but I'm not sure that there are many cars about with 19k miles on the clock like mine has, but if I come across one I'll definately give it a thought.

Mileage isn't everything mate, check the history of the car & go by how it drives, looks.

Good point about the mileage.

The other option is to put the turbo out of a tce on yours, but I'm sure it would cost farfar less to just upgrade to a tce. (Someone on here has one running 166bhp).

You would not be able to get any extra power out of your current engine any other way, exhaust and air filter may increase it by about 5bhp but you won't even notice it, so you will be spending quite a bit of cash for no real world gains.