ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction Kits Vs Insurance

182 Sport 2.0I
I'm looking at getting an induction kit for my 182 but would like to know what the deal is for insurance. Do you have to declare this to insurance as a performance mod even if its the KTec panel filter?

Cheers

Insignia SRi
A panel filter should be ok because its in the original airbox, but a full induction kit i guess you should really tell the robbing bast#rds doing the insurance!!!!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
if its a panel filter i wouldn't but as said a induction kit i would

?
Well, I picked up a viper for £40 recently (second hand obviously) so anything is possible. After buying all the pipes and bends etc ended up with a full viper for circa £60

Clio182 Astra2 GTE16v
I've got a viper on mine, sounds good, best to declare it, insurance companies will find anyway of not paying out.

I declared mine before I fitted it as Ive had a 172 Viper filter for years lying around.
Think its lost me torque though so may lose the noise and take it off.

Monaco RS Clio 172
get a simota aeroform - sound is worth it alone.

I also see no reason for it to perform badly given the adequate air feed and it already comes with a decent enough shield in my opinion.

as I say tho, you won't find anything that sounds like this so ensure you are prepared to put up with a deep induction roar every time you go past 1/4 throttle lol

WAARRRRP

I would declare all mods. When declaring a panel filter I would probably state specifically to them that you have fitted a non-standard filter but that it makes no increase to the performance. Any minor mod like that which will only make small performance increases I would do the same for. The insurance companies will not spend the time and effort trying to prove otherwise. EDIT: A change declared as not performance related has only resulted in an admin charge at worst in my experience (wheels are an exception to this rule!).

A full induction kit which makes definite changes to your engine bay is a different matter, I think you'd have to declare them and take the hit on your policy.

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
Gains are minimal anyway regardless of which kit you buy. It seems to be a general view that induction kits make no difference over itg panel filter in standard box with a better cold air feed. Save yourself a few bob and modify the standard box.

Haybails1980

ClioSport Club Member
I recently renewed my insurance and my previous insurers were trying to keep me as their customer - when I asked what the best deal on insurance was I was happy but when I mentioned that I was going to be adding an induction kit there was going to be a £160 increase to the total premium. This was with Direct Line.

I would definately make sure you declare the modification or buy it, wait for insurance to run out, join modification friendly insurance company, fit mod and declare it.

Golf GTD Mk7
someone like greenlight or 'a plan' would be ok to declare mods. So if your looking at renewing they are a good bet.

Monaco RS Clio 172
£160 a year for a bit of noise?

anyone say rip off?

these insurance companies are diabolical.

182 Sport 2.0I
I recently renewed my insurance and my previous insurers were trying to keep me as their customer - when I asked what the best deal on insurance was I was happy but when I mentioned that I was going to be adding an induction kit there was going to be a £160 increase to the total premium. This was with Direct Line.

Thats a shame, im with direct line :-(

182 Sport 2.0I
I might go with the Ktec panel filter and see what they say, does thi filter increase any grunt and noise at all?

182 Sport 2.0I
Turns out Direct Line wont touch me because im under 25 on any modifications. I may phone regarding a panel filter thos and state its a non standard replacement.

rps13
'induction kit'

there's your problem

its an air filter, for throttle response and not for power gains.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Mine didnt charge me because the woman was like ''that doesnt change the performance in anyway does it?'' me: ''nahhhh''
=]
Bell insurance btw

mps aero
when i worked in insurance i had 2 manualy put the power increase of a mod into the system as a percentage of the standard bhp. so with some its nt worth inputting them. it wold be unfair to put a pannel filter in the system as an induction kit. if you get a consultant that dunt have a clue about modifications try n blag it lol

Ph1
Some maths on insurance:

Q) - You crash your car say. What happens to the car after the accident but prior to putting a claim in??

A) = time

Induction kit, yes but foam filter..............