ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Infrastructure question

For the clever bods working in infrastructure.

We have a data store that is over 1TB of Word docs over hundreds of folders sitting on a SAN. All word docs are letter so size is arounsd 10K each.

We need to have a copy of this data store on a differnet server. Given that the last copy took over a weekend to do (we ended up killing the copy job). we was wondering whats the best solution to have a copy of the data on another box or server.

I thought about using Robocopy to do one large initial data copy over a weekend and using the differential copy nightly to keep it topped.

Are there any other better, faster solutions? any apps can work similar to Robocopy but quicker?

Cheers all

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
What you've said will probably be the best way to tackle it.

May take a long time to start with, but then shouldn't take that long for the rest.

Other than that, can you attach another disk and do a soft mirror?

Cheers for that... thing is, i think Robocopy would still need to traverse the direcotories and scan the modified dates of the files which will be the time consuming thing.. its the number of files that is the issue, rather than size of the files (remember each file is around 10K).

Was wondering if theres a quicker tool that can do it somehow.

Can't add any disks as the MSA SAN is maxed out.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not a backup person so this could be idiotic, but what about some kind of shadow copy?

Something that monitors the live directories and replicates and changes made as they happen?

It's not a backup as such as any changes/deletions would get replicated right away, but it's another physical copy of your present data.

Maybe.

Failing that, floppy discs?