ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

inlets and a remap

White ds3
iv done sum searches and cant find what i need. iv heard the 172 inlet can be quite bad but the 182 ones are quite good. so is it worth going down the mached inlet route then a remap or just get a remap?
also has anyone had a remap at gdi? if so are they any good?

thanx dan

421 Cammed 172
GDI tend to work with Omex's more than standard ECU's.

You may be better off with an RSTuner Custom map or going to RS Tuning.

Alternativly there's Jamsport who can probably sort you out with the entire package.

coiled 'berg
A P Delevopments in ystalfera (spelling?) up the valley past neath etc.

he done my belts the other week, top guy.

not sure about the 182 inlets tbh, but i'll be letting him loose on mine soon (172) mine had a 3 or 4mm ish difference between gasket and inlets! he is soon to be offering a mapping service and rolling road service to, what more could us welsh ask for!!

421 Cammed 172
JamSport are based in Northampton.

FCS was also in Northampton so if you went you know it's a fair trek! If not it's way over by the easy coast about 2 hours from Birmingham.

421 Cammed 172
I wouldn't have thought so no.

I think it's more cams etc that make them run lumpy.

AFAIK Matching inlets just alters the airflow, much like adding an induction kit or changing the filter. So shouldn't need a remap straight away.

If i were you i'd save the remap until after some other work, if you intend on having anything else done?

Black Gold Trophy
the gains will depend on how good your standard inlets are, the performance analyser on my RS tuner calculated a 8bhp gain with my matched inlets on my 182, and they were the "RS stamped" ones which are supposedly better casted.

Black Gold Trophy
To get the best from the inlets, you will need a remap.

I dont think that's necessarily true as all you are doing is making up for poor tolerances on a manufacturing process. The standard map will be designed to work with the matched inlets as they should be matched as standard but due to the casting being quite poor they rarely leave the factory in the correct dimensions.

I gained roughly 8bhp from having my inlets matched, I would struggle to believe that I could see a further 8bhp or more from a remap.

Last edited:
  Black 172 PH2
Many people talk about very good gains with matched inlets, for the price i dont think any mod comes close.
Def something ill be getting done.

I dont think that's necessarily true as all you are doing is making up for poor tolerances on a manufacturing process. The standard map will be designed to work with the matched inlets as they should be matched as standard but due to the casting being quite poor they rarely leave the factory in the correct dimensions.

I gained roughly 8bhp from having my inlets matched, I would struggle to believe that I could see a further 8bhp or more from a remap.

You increasing air flow,which will allow you to add more fuel, which means a bigger bang. So it will need mapping to get the best out of it

Ph1

Thats incorrect.

The porting process takes the port sizes behond factory tolerances, ie, to that of the gasket.

The difference someone will feel depends how good they are prior to porting.

Mapping will see the best results. Its not just about peak power gains, its about ironing out flat spots in adjusting the fuelling to suit right through the rev range

White ds3
sounds like a worth wile mod then if 8bhp are on the cards im gona book my car in moday to ap developments
then of to gdi for a remap when i can get hold of them lol

White ds3
s**te where is the nearest place in wales i can get a remap k-tec is a while away and i dont trust myself with an rs tuner

coiled 'berg
If you get them matched, please post your findings up here, as I am very interested to know the gains, etc.

Rusty Cup
i dont think u'll be blown away by figures, but the benefits in drivability are worth the out lay.

I dont have matched inlets yet but the remap is well worth a punt.

Not got a car
This is my next mod, Inlets and a map. Want them done all at once, if i go to RS tuning they can do both there and then?

Volvo S60 T5
Buy the RS Tuner and remap it, dont worry about the inlets.
The RS tuner is really easy to use, when I first used it it worried me but its piss easy to use and worth the money.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The problem with inlets is it all depends how bad they in the first place as they all seem to be random as fook! So you might in theory be putting money down the drain and get f all gains as yours are already decent! From the RR results ive seen from people having them done I wont be getting matched inlets anytime soon.

172 5HED
I wouldnt take them back to the gaskets as has been mentioned on here somewhere!!

you're matching the upper to lower!

ITB'd MK1
I wouldnt take them back to the gaskets as has been mentioned on here somewhere!!

you're matching the upper to lower!

upper to lower AND lower to head. You're right about not matching exactly to the gasket, a lot are done like that and it's not correct.

Re-fitting correctly once they're machined is very important too. I've rectified a set just this week that were worse than standard. Didn't help that the cambelt timing had been done wrong and the tensioner adjusted the wrong way too, AND the port was part obscured by the ill fitting non standard gaskets

172 5HED
upper to lower AND lower to head. You're right about not matching exactly to the gasket, a lot are done like that and it's not correct.

Re-fitting correctly once they're machined is very important too. I've rectified a set just this week that were worse than standard. Didn't help that the cambelt timing had been done wrong and the tensioner adjusted the wrong way too, AND the port was part obscured by the ill fitting non standard gaskets

FLOL!!! Top job then??? :eek:

ITB'd MK1
oh it was tip-top.

I was only working on the car to fix the wrecked gearbox and sort an oil leak.

Forgot to mention, the bottom bolt on the new aux tensioner was loose, and the lower idler hadn't been changed despite a kit being paid for. "not included" apparently :|

421 Cammed 172
There was an article in this months PFC Magazine about not taking them back to gaskets due to gases passing back into the Inlets and causing damage.

Something like that anyway, I know it was in there somewhere :clown: lol