ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inner sills rust advise

mumpy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio II RS 172
Hi everyone, I decided to look into how bad the situation is, see photos below. How does this look? What would you recommend to do to remedy this?

Thanks for any input!

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2771.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Not as bad as some that I've seen so you might just get lucky.

Get some Bilt Hamber products like Surfex-HD, DEOX Gel, Hydrate-80 and some Dynanx S50 wax or similar if you haven't already - https://bilthamber.com/product-category/anti-corrosion/
  1. Attack the rust with a wire brush, removing as much as possible - especially the thick, crusty areas.
  2. Vacuum the loose rust and dust, then apply some Surfex-HD (degreaser) first to clean it off, then apply DEOX Gel, making sure to reach all the nooks and crannies. Leave it to work for around 24 hours.
  3. Once the Gel has done its job, wipe it off using an alcohol-based agent (Acetone - nail varnish polish remover is good). Stick a hair dryer or heat gun on low temp down there to dry the area, then apply several coats of Hydrate-80, which will turn into a deep black finish once dry.
  4. Grab your Dynax S50 lance and thoroughly coat the area. It's messy and runny, so expect it to drip out of the sill’s drain holes - just make sure they don’t clog.
  5. Take off your wheels and side skirts, and repeat the process along the outside of the sills. Get some custom-mixed paint from a local shop to touch up the sills and give the exterior a clean finish.
  6. Reattach your side skirts and cross your fingers.
I can give you some advice on what rivets to use when putting the skirts back on, just drop me a dm.

Best of luck!

mumpy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio II RS 172
Not as bad as some that I've seen so you might just get lucky.

Get some Bilt Hamber products like Surfex-HD, DEOX Gel, Hydrate-80 and some Dynanx S50 wax or similar if you haven't already - https://bilthamber.com/product-category/anti-corrosion/
  1. Attack the rust with a wire brush, removing as much as possible - especially the thick, crusty areas.
  2. Vacuum the loose rust and dust, then apply some Surfex-HD (degreaser) first to clean it off, then apply DEOX Gel, making sure to reach all the nooks and crannies. Leave it to work for around 24 hours.
  3. Once the Gel has done its job, wipe it off using an alcohol-based agent (Acetone - nail varnish polish remover is good). Stick a hair dryer or heat gun on low temp down there to dry the area, then apply several coats of Hydrate-80, which will turn into a deep black finish once dry.
  4. Grab your Dynax S50 lance and thoroughly coat the area. It's messy and runny, so expect it to drip out of the sill’s drain holes - just make sure they don’t clog.
  5. Take off your wheels and side skirts, and repeat the process along the outside of the sills. Get some custom-mixed paint from a local shop to touch up the sills and give the exterior a clean finish.
  6. Reattach your side skirts and cross your fingers.
I can give you some advice on what rivets to use when putting the skirts back on, just drop me a dm.

Best of luck!
Thanks a lot for the detailed steps mate! I will start working on this very soon, just need to buy some of the products you mention here. Thanks for the help again, much appreciated :)

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
I’d say the very first thing to do is take the side skirt off, get a screw driver and start seeing what’s solid and what isn’t.

My ph1 went from looking fine from the outside. Not a single bubble of rust.
IMG_1551.jpeg

To a tiny hole about the size of a 5 pence piece which turned into this.
IMG_1550.jpeg

Took the side skirt of and one minute with the screwdriver later turned into this.
Didn’t even look rusty was still black sealant of some sort which was holding it together.

Mot tester only picked up and failed it on the small hole at the back.
IMG_1768.jpeg

mumpy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio II RS 172
I’d say the very first thing to do is take the side skirt off, get a screw driver and start seeing what’s solid and what isn’t.

My ph1 went from looking fine from the outside. Not a single bubble of rust.
View attachment 1710989

To a tiny hole about the size of a 5 pence piece which turned into this.
View attachment 1710990

Took the side skirt of and one minute with the screwdriver later turned into this.
Didn’t even look rusty was still black sealant of some sort which was holding it together.

Mot tester only picked up and failed it on the small hole at the back.
View attachment 1710991
Wow yeah I see, I will tackle that area for sure! Did you sort it out now?

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'll try to dig out the pictures, but I spent ages cleaning the area, wire brushed everything, treated the area with rust converter, painted and then cavity wax'd the area. Cut my hands to ribbons getting down to the rust patch.
Then curiosity got the better of me, I took off the sideskirt and poked my finger through. It was only held together by layers of rust converter and hammerite. So a mobile welder came out, cut out all the rot, repaired/remade the drain tubes and also replaced the collapsed drivers side jack point/sill for £300.