ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installing Quaife ATB - Clio 172 - help

Hello,

just received - hurray! :) - the Quaife ATB for my Clio 172 MK2. The gearbox off the care, open and so on. The problem is with the crown wheel. Am I supposed to get the crown wheel off the stock diff and put it on the Quaife? I guess this is the way to go, but any hints about how is this achieved?

Is it posisble to send the diff back to Quaife and have a crown wheel supplied and put on the diff by them? This would really be a last resort solution, as I'm not in UK and it would take AGES to achieve, but still, if I can't get off the crown wheel from the stock diff...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

-Wheeler

182 trackday racer
Hello,

just received - hurray! :) - the Quaife ATB for my Clio 172 MK2. The gearbox off the care, open and so on. The problem is with the crown wheel. Am I supposed to get the crown wheel off the stock diff and put it on the Quaife? I guess this is the way to go, but any hints about how is this achieved?

Is it posisble to send the diff back to Quaife and have a crown wheel supplied and put on the diff by them? This would really be a last resort solution, as I'm not in UK and it would take AGES to achieve, but still, if I can't get off the crown wheel from the stock diff...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

-Wheeler

You will need some help from a machine shop to make the slots for the steel balls. Preferably they use spark-erosion cutting for the best result. You may as well give them the stock diff at the same time as they are to make the slots. They preferably use a lathe to take away the material holding the crown wheel from the inside. This way you will not have to use violence to get it off.

Good luck,

send it back to quaife and they will fit it for you, they did for me anyway :cool:

Basically it would mean sending them the stock diff and their diff. I don't even want to think about the cost of sending 2 diffs from Bucharest (my place) to UK and back :)

Anyway, the main problem at this point is removing the crown wheel from the stock diff, but looking at the suggestion above, a solution seems to present itself...

Or do you mean Quaife will fit a new crown wheel and not the one from the stock diff?

Thanks!

-Different

ITB'd MK1
i'd be looking at buying a brand new crown wheel rather than complicating things by removing the old one, which is likely no longer perfect anyway

May look into that at some point, indeed, but I'll give at least a try at removing the old one.

Thanks everyone for the answers!

-Bender

2.2 bar shed.
Cor, way easier to fit a Quaiffe in a MG/R PG1 seemingly. Bolt on crown wheels ftw.

GB 182 FF
I looked at getting a light set plate diff, but the stupid install process for the Clio put me right off... I can fit any diff to a Nova in about an hour and be back on the road lol The clio one looked to be far too much faff

182cup & 172 racecar
Fit and forget basically.
Standard.

After reading all the trouble the group buy had with Gripper,I was not going down that route.Plus we got a good deal.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I would have thought that the gripper with all its choice of ratio's was worth the extra hassle, but fit and forget is good lol.

I assume agency fitted for you

Also how quick was it to get the diff?

ta

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
That is good service from both. (I was told that the quaife diff was on a long lead time but this appears untrue )

Cheers