ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

insulated inlet manifold gasket?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
Chaps,

I have read that you can reduce the intake temperature a fair amount with a insulated gasket.

What is the std one like?

Cheers

Giles

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Dought it very much, if the effect was great, Renault would of done it themselfs...

FRST and 106 GTi
I've read about this and even found a website selling this 4mm thick heat insulation gaskets. They were around 50quid each.

I know that edelbrock makes them...

intake length effects are minor, all the changed with various induction kits and trunking will have more effect than 4mm between head and manifold.

The main problem you will have is how you will no longer be able to bolt the manifold up to the back of the cylinder head once you push the plenum forward and up.

FRST and 106 GTi
BenR said:
intake length effects are minor, all the changed with various induction kits and trunking will have more effect than 4mm between head and manifold.

The main problem you will have is how you will no longer be able to bolt the manifold up to the back of the cylinder head once you push the plenum forward and up.

On the F7 and F4 might be true, but on a CVH engine this has be done without a problem. With the 4mm gasket the CVH kit also has longer bolts.

How much clearence is there to the bonnet on the 172? The inlet manifold is two bolted parts so geting the gasket on the plenum part of the manifold could be possible... no?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
When I get round to it(well find one of my books on heat transfer) I will try and do some calculations to get a rough idea of the increase in temperature the entire intake system has. if you can reduce the intake temp by 10deg C it should equate to ~ 3% more dense air so a similar increase in power.

I suppose none of you tuning chaps have fitted a temp sensor in the plenum. Reading a honda site about these insulated gaskets they reduced the temperature by 15 deg C. The thing with the honda engine is that its has engine water in the inlet manifold(to stop things getting too cold)(America and -20deg C). But on the website it said these weren't blocked. (only the "race" version was)

What is the standard renault one made of? Is it insulating or conductive?

Cheers

Giles

Butre, you cannot fit a plastic gasket of any nominal thickness as it will misalign the bolts at the back of the plenham.

Giles, stock gasket is shim steel.
Inlet wraps around the whole engine, so its pretty much a lost cause, it'll be hot no matter what.

Nope.

You cannot use any insulating gaskets of any beneficial thickness as the aux mounts and plenum mount bolts/plenum breather seal will no longer line up.