ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance - 17yr old

Hi guys,

Ive been looking at insurance for the past week ringing up various places etc the like. Ive been coming up with some really stupid quotes though which im not sure are normal.

The best quote ive had is from direct line for a 1.2l Clio Sport (2001) and thats priced at £1100 fully comp with my mum as 1st driver (she has SP30 n 3 points on license). I was wondering if this is the best im going to get. Ive rang elephant, adrian flux, been on confused.com etc. But they all give me quotes starting from around £1500.

Thanks for your time,

Golf GTI 1.8T
That dont seem to good to me mate. If your a named driver on your mum policy that seems a bit high for me. try tesco, although they are expensive for mods...

ill ring up tescos and try them. Problem is mum has a ford galaxy policy with directline so, she uses her 9+ years ncb on either or. She cant use them on 2 policy's can she?. Working out a right pain this.

M140i/Orange 182
seems reasonable considering your age. when i first got my 1.2 (when i was 18,just past) i paid a wopping £1800 to insure myself, with my own policy..you get hit hard when your young imo, but now i am 20 ive got a 182 and paid £1183 fully comp! :D

Nike Lunar Elite's
Has said:
*bites tongue really hard*

Can't bite mine, it hurts lol

Why are you being a named driver as it sounds like the Clio is your car. In this case, you will void your insurance as what you will be doing is fraud.

Get insurance in your own name, if it were meant to be cheap for a 17 y/o to insure a car then insurance companies wouldn't charge so much!!! But as you are amoungst one of the biggest at rick groups then you should pay the relevant insurance costs.

The clio will be mine, But my mum is going to be the main driver as she is going to be using it to drive to Stockport everyday from where we live Monday - Friday. I will only be using it on the weekends. So there is nothing wrong with the policy as me as 2nd driver.

I think ill end up ringing up admiral about there multi car quote tomorrow.

Golf GTI 1.8T
hydeyho said:
Can't bite mine, it hurts lol

Why are you being a named driver as it sounds like the Clio is your car. In this case, you will void your insurance as what you will be doing is fraud.

whys it fraud? you dont have to own the car to get insured on it and drive it :S

Nike Lunar Elite's
Visualaid said:
The clio will be mine, But my mum is going to be the main driver as she is going to be using it to drive to Stockport everyday from where we live Monday - Friday. I will only be using it on the weekends. So there is nothing wrong with the policy as me as 2nd driver.

I think ill end up ringing up admiral about there multi car quote tomorrow.

You might get problems though if your mum is the main driver but your name is on the V5. Its just a case of shopping around to find a cheap quote. Try using http://www.confused.com. I'm paying £500 on a 1.2 with only 1 years ncb, plus alloys, front splitter, side skirts, 172 rear bumper and spoiler + exhaust.

Good quotes are out there!!

Nike Lunar Elite's
mitchzxr said:
whys it fraud? you dont have to own the car to get insured on it and drive it :S

If he were a named driver but actually used it every day to drive to work/school/uni etc

Monaro VXR
my mates just got a policy he is the main driver on the policy yet its insured under his dads ncb yet they are still offering my friend the ncb for being main driver.

Just he recently had an accident had a blow out on a sharp bend on snakes pass car was a write off and couldnt afford to insure the car under his own insurance again.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
"Some young drivers are under the illusion that by naming themselves on their parents second policy will reduce the rates. Insurers are aware that this practice goes on but frown upon what is called “Fronting”.

In the event of a claim, insurers can repudiate a claim on the basis of non-disclosure if the young drivers has been input as an occasional driver when in fact he or she is the main driver. It is imperative that the insured is always completely honest on the proposal form. Non-disclosure is a breach of policy conditions."

Golf GTI 1.8T
hydeyho said:
If he were a named driver but actually used it every day to drive to work/school/uni etc

and how are they possibly going to know that you use it everyday.....?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
mitchzxr said:
and how are they possibly going to know that you use it everyday.....?

They have ways !!!

They DO investigate things.

-They can interview your neighbours
- Check CCTV footage at ur workplace (Uni etc)
- Many other ways.

There was a guy on here, young driver and they interviwed most of his neighbours

ITB 16v hybrid
OLI said:
that's quite good mate. I'm paying £900 fully comp as a named driver on my mum's insurance for my 99 1.2 8v with Tesco.:dapprove:

Be warned though, if you do hav a crash your mum won't be amused if she loses no claims.
As i found out yesterday.:mad:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121853

:eek: on my 1.2 8v i was paying £430 for the year with my mum as the main driver and that was fully comp and with Tesco!! and that was wen i first passed my test at 17!!!!!!
:rasp:
but now on my mums im paying £1700 on my valver :(

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
^^ if ur using it more than ur mum ur insurance will be invalid mate

(does she even drive the clio??)

and by the time your 20 your insurance will still be high when you grow up, enter the real world, and have to buy stuff yourself..

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
fook me! glad i ain't so young anymore!!! i bulk at paying 600 quid for my 182 insurance... let alone over a grand!!! but i remember when i did. had my own policy from 17, worked out expensive but it helps in the end imo.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
seb182 said:
fook me! glad i ain't so young anymore!!! i bulk at paying 600 quid for my 182 insurance... let alone over a grand!!! but i remember when i did. had my own policy from 17, worked out expensive but it helps in the end imo.

Yup same here,

I remember paying £1700 in my first year to have it in my name.

Paid itself now as i can insure cars much cheaper !!

Keep it all above board and it returns back to you.

MK2 P1 1.4S
Try Virgin insurance, that's who insures my car. Turns out at about £1260 roughly, for my own policy. I would try to wait until you can do Pass Plus, because alot of companies will honour that with one years NCB. Makes one hell of a difference.

I am not 'fronting' people actually have real reasons to be the second driver. My College is literally 100 metres up the road and everyday i roll out of bed and im there. I am going to be using the cars on weekends and some weeknights to visit the girlfriend so i will be using the car less than my mum therefore making me the 2ndary driver of the vehicle.

I rang up directline before and they gave me a multi-car quote of a massive £3,000 on a clio 1.2 16v with a ford galaxy 2.3 aswell. These prices are just utter madness.

They said if she dropped the galaxy however it would cost £1,100 fully comprehensive with a whopping excess of £500.

These figures all hurting my head. :dead:

mk1 phase 3
well i passed my test just after i turned 18, im insured on my own policy on my 1998 1.2 clio. im with quinn direct and its £1005, third party fire and theft.
obviously this is stupid, but not really that bad considering the other quotes iv seen.

mk1 phase 3
well i bought it for £2000, so thats what i put it was worth as.

obviousley there is the risk of crashing, but i had to take the risk as i couldnt afford to pay fully comp. but my insurance will drop year by year cuz im on my own policy, best to start by yourself as soon as u can in my opinion

Golf GTI 1.8T
Spammy said:
I haven't read a thing yet, but im 17 paying £1890 per year on my car, in my own name :) The way it should be done ;)

how are you paying that much for a 1.2 at 17??
got mods?

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
i payed 940ish with norwich union for 3rd party ONLY on my 1.2 8v 1994 clio, at 17 years old. kept on driveway postcode rating D.

im main driver with dad as a secondry driver.

mitchzxr said:
how are you paying that much for a 1.2 at 17??
got mods?

Thats with no mods other than turini's. Was infact a low price compared to a lot, extortionate to most though, myself included.

180.5 bhp 172
Im 17 and have a 1.2 Mk1 Ph/3 and pay £1532 Fully Comp as the only driver. I would of put my Dad as 1st, but his insurance will only let him be 1st driver on 1 car, and thats his own.

I have pass plus booked for next month though so that should help :)

06 Ibiza FR + 02 Clio 1.2
im 17 with an 02 clio 1.2 16v
insurance would have been 1580 with directline
but i had 1 yrs no claims from a motorbike at 16 which they accepted.
worked out at 1180 fully comp

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
^^^ i got pass plus when it was pretty much new.

No companies gave me it as 1yrs NCD but they did offer a slight discount :D

Not a Clio
Visualaid said:
I am not 'fronting' people actually have real reasons to be the second driver. My College is literally 100 metres up the road and everyday i roll out of bed and im there. I am going to be using the cars on weekends and some weeknights to visit the girlfriend so i will be using the car less than my mum therefore making me the 2ndary driver of the vehicle.

I rang up directline before and they gave me a multi-car quote of a massive £3,000 on a clio 1.2 16v with a ford galaxy 2.3 aswell. These prices are just utter madness.

They said if she dropped the galaxy however it would cost £1,100 fully comprehensive with a whopping excess of £500.

These figures all hurting my head. :dead:

You won't start to build your NCB discount though will you?

I got my first car at 19 - a 1.2 8v clio and was paying £1100 tpft. I'm 25 now with 4 years NCB and been quoted £483 fully comp on my 2.0 16v megane coupe.

NCB is important! You need to start saving it up asap mate.

If you move to Direct Line and become a named driver on your parents policy, The named driver still gets NCB for every year they are names and dont claim.

Some of you oldies are stuck in the old days, how can you expect a 17 year to pay £2000 to insure a standard 1.2!

The only way is that stay on a parents policy until they get a fulkl time job.