ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance - 17yr old

Mito Sportiva 135
I'm 21 and up until now have just been driving under my Dad's name. I just had a quote of around £1100 for a 172 fully comp under my own name which seems pretty reasonable considering I have not had my own profile untill now. My friend has had his own scheme since 17 and his quote on the same car was only about £350 less. So, my advice is either start of early with a minute engine size, or hold off untill your 21.

Unfortunately insurance for young males is always going to cost a lot, which is unfortunate as it just leads to more people not getting any which increases the premiums for honest people like you and me who just want a reasonably powerfull car and also to abide by the law. It's a lose lose sitaution really.

i rememebr my first car 600 fully comp on a xr2 lol when i was 18 ah those were the days :)

next year i will be paying 238 for insuring me and the gf on her ka me as main driver with 6 points and her with 3 points lol oldage has its rewards and im only 26

1.2 16v clio
do what ive done be the main driver on my dads policy. i got quoted 2700 on my own policy and im a student ive got a part time job i earn 325 quid a month there is no way i could afford to pay that insurance on my dads its about 400 and then theres pass plus which im gettin bookd. only passsd on monday u c

hydeyho said:
If you can't afford to insure a car correctly then you can't afford to drive, SIMPLE!

What a load of b****cks!!!

How would you expect any 17,18,19 year old to make a proper living, career without a car.

I passed at 17 and went to college 15 miles away from me, for the first year i had to scrounge a lif to train station, get a train to wakefield and then have a 3 mile walk to college. Luckily i passed my test at the end of the first year, because if i wouldnt have i would not have gone back for the 2nd year. I worked part time at Asda (around £400 per month)

How the hell was i suppose to buy, insure and tax a car, fill a car up with petrol and live on £400 a month.

Luckily i have great parents that have really and that are still helping me out. But i guess that makes me spoilt now!

whoa theres alot of different opinions on this subject,

I would totally go for the building up my no claims bonus but the fact is I might be moving to australia in 1-2 years time and my ncb would be of no benfeit over there as the insurance system is totally different. So again it wouldnt be worth me paying the extra cost just for ncb that i would end up not needing in later life.

Im going to ring direct line and see if they will budge on there quote of £1,100 fully comp on clio 1.2 16v sport. Does anyone know the best way about going about this? I must admit im not great with words in situations like that.

Thanks-

Nike Lunar Elite's
CDMullins said:
What a load of b****cks!!!

How would you expect any 17,18,19 year old to make a proper living, career without a car.

I passed at 17 and went to college 15 miles away from me, for the first year i had to scrounge a lif to train station, get a train to wakefield and then have a 3 mile walk to college. Luckily i passed my test at the end of the first year, because if i wouldnt have i would not have gone back for the 2nd year. I worked part time at Asda (around £400 per month)

How the hell was i suppose to buy, insure and tax a car, fill a car up with petrol and live on £400 a month.

Luckily i have great parents that have really and that are still helping me out. But i guess that makes me spoilt now!

Why is it bollox?

If you can't afford mortgage repayments on a house, don't buy one.

Plenty of people survive without a car, my gf got a job at 17, passed her test at 18, but then didn't even bother getting a car until last year and she barely uses it now. There are plenty of other methods of transport about, and that should be a consideration when choosing a job, college, uni, etc.

I really don't know what you are arguing about, its not just with cars, if you can't afford something you simply don't buy it!!!

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
^^ Agree, if you cant afford to run a car then get a bus or pay someone to take you there, both alot cheaper than getting your own car.

if you cant get to college cos you dont have a car and no puplic transport, then you cant go, or walk there?! Lifes a b**ch.

cooper s full areo kit...
Not being funny, but your being pathetic. Dont go to college just because you dont feel he should be named on his dads insurance?!?
where some people live, public transport is an issue, so this may be the only way to get around it. Atleast mullins has got a job and is trying- Hes attending college to get a qualification and get somewhere in life.
This forum has some good guys on it but half the time it turns into a b**ch fight

god stop bitching at eachother,

the claim you made about if you cant afford the right insurance dont buy a car, i dont thinks true. Because i could afford a car, afford the services and petrol if it wasnt for the stupidly priced insurance im going to get charged.

If i was to go on my own policy my car would be costing me around £2,500 and then another £1500-2000 ontop of that!. Thats the same cost as the car incase i crash!. These companies can give us fair quotes of £500-£1500 but they choose higher end quotes to discourage people or just to plain make themselves more money. Everyone in this day n age is out to make money and make cuts etc wherever they can!

At 21 years old with 1 years no claims on a MK1 172 with a lot of mod's i'm paying £957 a year in my own name with the usual goodies i.e - courtesy car, lowish excess, legal protection, windscreen cover, audio cover etc etc etc.

Im going to ring direct line and see if they will budge on there quote of £1,100 fully comp on clio 1.2 16v sport. Does anyone know the best way about going about this? I must admit im not great with words in situations like that.

any advice on the above?

Mito Sportiva 135
Mate, I can categorically say that the best and cheapest way to get an insurance quote is to fill in the online form. Go to directline and do there's you might be pleasantly surprised.

Also, check that you turn legal cover off, and air on the lower values for car price and estimated annual mileage. You can also say that you have a house insurance policy and they don't even ask for a reference number. This instantly knocks off over £100 (well it did for me anyway). This is a bit of a grey area though as it may invalidate the scheme, but could be a risk worth taking. The adress where you say you will park will make a big difference too, over £400 difference between my london home and my leeds uni residence.

Honestly, directline online form is the way to go.