ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

insurance and decats

MY04 Scooby STi
What is the score with insurance ad decats? I am looking at getting a Yozzasport decat for standard 182 exhaust and I was wondering how you add that to the policy if an the would in theory become a MOT failure and not road legal.

Any advice?

By the way Im insured through Adrian Flux but I havn't spoken to them yet

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Your best bet is to phone Adrian Flux and ask em . They are very knowledgeable about mods .

MY04 Scooby STi
will try that on monday, only thing im concerned about is how will they treat the modification?

Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v
De-cat as in removing the catalitic converter?
I wondered tell youre insurer lol, its illegal to do that if your car is fitted with a cat as standard.
Your car will more than likely fail emissions testing at an MOT station and if you get stopped by VOSA at the roadside with at a mobile testing station they will more than likely confiscate your car i think, as they are clamnping down on emissions, hence the rises in tax prices.

Mike

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
imo, get it insured for an exhaust witha 10% power increase

job done

Renault Clio 1.4 RT
I'm with Adrian Flux, told them i had a de-cat without thinking (i had a blonde moment!) & they didn't bat an eyelid. However that was nearly 2 years ago so i suggest u just follow the good advice above & tell them your exhausts got a 10% power increase.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Penelope Pitstop said:
I'm with Adrian Flux, told them i had a de-cat without thinking (i had a blonde moment!) & they didn't bat an eyelid. However that was nearly 2 years ago so i suggest u just follow the good advice above & tell them your exhausts got a 10% power increase.

10% power increase , i want one ,lol ;)

I think the 10% is a little bit optimistic !

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
obviously, but its a 'mod' to the system. all the insurance companies i've dealed with link exhausts mods to a power increase

VRS
if you speak to flux then can you post on here or pm me the outcome cos im with them as well! i was wondering what they wud say about a decat as well

Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v
The sales people on the other end of the phone arent the people that examine your car if you make a claim.
You are flushing money down the toilet if you tell them youve got a power increase cos of your exhuast (even though its from the decat).
Reason being is cos if an insurance claims investigator sees that you havent got a cat on when it should have, they will NULL and VOID your claim. Simple. Thats even if you have told them.
Even if the sales people tell you "yeah thats fine", its not their job to tell you whats legal and what isnt.

Having a decat will invalidate your insurance if its discovered, so dont tell them, cos theyre aint any point. And youre paying extra for nothing if you try and cover it up by saying you have an increase of power cos of an exhaust, cos even if you tell them that, and its still decat - they wstill wont pay out (more than likely)

Mike

MY04 Scooby STi
makavelli said:
if you speak to flux then can you post on here or pm me the outcome cos im with them as well! i was wondering what they wud say about a decat as well

no worries, will do mate

Clio Renaultsport 182
MikeyMikeWakey said:
Having a decat will invalidate your insurance if its discovered, so dont tell them, cos theyre aint any point.Mike

I take a declared 'sports' cat would be fine though?:S

J

JEFF4507

Yes, but I think it if you declare a "full exhaust system" then that includes whatever's in the exhaust system.

Plus, never declare 10% power increase unless you're a silly begger. If the car is in a crash that warrants an underwriter to look at it, then I very much doubt they'll be able to test the power.

I am getting an exhaust on monday, with sports cat probably, but it's because my one broke and I want it for the sound and look:cool:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lol at this, all i meant by the 10% increase is when i got a stainless fitted, i tried to say it was a long life full system version, as my original rusted off..... all they kept on banging about is well it must give some increase, i said no chance, maybe 1 to 2 bhp, if your lucky

so we settled it by saying a 5% increase

it was only about 30 notes iirc anyway

as above mine is stated as having a full syainless system, so if i had a decat i'd include this