ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance=Joke!

P

pete.grant

Just had my insurance renewal from Direct Line through for my 182 and was disgusted to see that it has been reduced by a mere £9 a month. I am 23, have 5 years NCB and have held my license for 5 years. I have had no claims and have never had any points. The renewal came through at £1,096 (before you all shout, yes I don’t live in the most desirable post code but there are much worse places to live in Nottingham!)

However, I decided to go onto Direct Line’s web site and get a new quote as if I was a new customer but this time putting my missus on the policy (who incidentally has two claims to her name and an SP30). The quote came back at £691 for the exact same policy. Rang Direct Line to let them know how annoyed I was and they honoured the quote I got online.

My question is this – how can Direct Line justify reducing my premium by £400 when I add a someone to my policy who is evidently a worse driver than I am!? I think it’s a joke. Don’t get me wrong, I am pleased to have saved £400 with one phone call but am not surprised why so many young people drive without insurance.

AK

M240i
Yeah i've heard it some cases they send the renewal out really late so you dont really have time to search for cheaper places etc

Dirty tbh..

b/g 182, meg tourer
try greenlight. i cant seem to find anywhere as cheap. at 23 with 3years ncb i was paying £680 iirc. with wheels, springs, tints, exhasts etc all covered.

I've not heard that one before but if they do that, that's shocking.

Personally I start searching a couple of months in advance anyway. I know there's a chance it'll have gone up by the time my renewal is due but it gives me a rough estimate on what I'll be paying.

Insurance ftl tbh, although from what I've heard Direct Line always seem to be a bit more expensive than other companies, maybe time to have a shop around?

AK

M240i
DL do seem to have a lot of extras tbh tho.. named drivers earn no claims, theft etc, if hit by an uninsured driver your NCB isnt lost etc etc

Ph1
Most big name insurance companys seem to be up to this scam of high renewal price, lower online quote.

Iv had the same farce with my motors but with a different company.

Its all designed to squeeze a bit more out of you hoping you dont bother to check up. Good plan really as a lot of folk will just folk out the extra cost without checking, or some certainly will

P

pete.grant

Insurance ftl tbh, although from what I've heard Direct Line always seem to be a bit more expensive than other companies, maybe time to have a shop around?

Cheapest I could find was Elephant - £780 with my missus on the policy as well. Like I said, my post code doesn't help matters but was just so shocked that because I put a woman on my policy they reduce it by so much.

I agree with previous posts about sending out renewals hoping people just pay up - had similar experience with our home and contents insurance. HSBC sent renewal at just over £300. Did a quote online as new customer and got it for £185 - HSBC honoured it!

rallyspec 1.4 & 1.8 16v
my dad put his girlfriend on his policy for his 06 scooby wrx and it went down £250 and shes got points and he hasnt too.

Ph1 172
Just had my insurance renewal from Direct Line through for my 182 and was disgusted to see that it has been reduced by a mere £9 a month. I am 23, have 5 years NCB and have held my license for 5 years. I have had no claims and have never had any points. The renewal came through at £1,096 (before you all shout, yes I don’t live in the most desirable post code but there are much worse places to live in Nottingham!)

However, I decided to go onto Direct Line’s web site and get a new quote as if I was a new customer but this time putting my missus on the policy (who incidentally has two claims to her name and an SP30). The quote came back at £691 for the exact same policy. Rang Direct Line to let them know how annoyed I was and they honoured the quote I got online.

My question is this – how can Direct Line justify reducing my premium by £400 when I add a someone to my policy who is evidently a worse driver than I am!? I think it’s a joke. Don’t get me wrong, I am pleased to have saved £400 with one phone call but am not surprised why so many young people drive without insurance.

You need to shop around mate, even in a ghetto you shouldn't be paying anywhere near that.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
You need to shop around mate, even in a ghetto you shouldn't be paying anywhere near that.

lol wrong;). I live the ghetto of Aberdeen and my insurance is £1200 ish. That was with my 23 yo gf with no points etc on it. But saying that i was 20 when i renewed it, but still its a disgrace.

Ph 1 172
similar thing happened to me tactually only last month.. tesco gave me my quote which for some reason ahd gone up...even though i had gained my 3rd years ncb!!! called them up said they were taking the piss and the guy reduced my premium by £410 went from £1100 to £690...im sure they just make it up as they go along to be fair

my renewal last year was 500 quid more than i was paying in the first year. i rung them up and apperntly they couldnt lower it :S i just changed insurence companies

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
you have to watch directline as i did the same, but without realising, then when the paperwork came, i noticed they upped the voluntary excess to £400, from the £100 it originally was,

they all do it, the new business quotes are obviously cheaper as they want your business, and they just hope you will stick with them at renewal

i dont like the way direct line automatically renew your policy even if you pay anually, they must make so much money that way

its best to keep changing to get the best price imo, you dont get any rewards for loyalty

Focus ST-2
All insurance people wear black and white stripey jumpers and bring their lunch to work in a bag with swag written on it.....the end

Focus ST-2
was only joking, but insurance is far too expensive and as some people say on here it's no wonder people drive with no tax or insurance.