ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance renewal time.

Great :(

This is when i hate being young.

£1800 full comp is a bit of a shitter, £3500 with my current insurers if i stay with them...

Looks like i'll be moving to Quinn.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
1800 notes is pure drop your pants and lube up stuff!

I was paying 1300 for a modified 205 GTi at age 19.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Is the car excessively modified or are you a really crap driver? ;)

1600 quid is a lot of money for a vanilla 206!

Yea its the 1.4 Verve. Took a sneaky little pic of it today, tis growing on me - which i am ashamed to say :(

Either that or £2000 on a E46 316Ti... not for speed, but for the qualityish... hm.

22052009047.jpg

133, 182, Kangoo 182
I'm paying just over £1800 for my 1.2... 19 and my first year of driving (renewal in the next couple of months).

I'm 17... Hai x.

Still a wee nipper snapper.

However, policy runs out on my birthday - June 10th.

£1600 seems pretty resonable in all fairness.

I could never go TPFT, the cars worth too much.

I should of been sensible really and bought a wreck to drive and inusre. However, i like to roll deep? Hah.

<3 the seats in the 206. They are abit like the Clio 'Sport' seats, except more 'Sporty' and nicer to sit in.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Think i've been lucky with insurance then I paid £1700 on my 18th birthday for a heavily modified Uno Turbo :S

Would never pay that kind of money again though for any car.. well actually :eek:

I hate how expensive insurance is, get people complaining at work that they pay £200

which is why i sold my golg and got a cheaper focus

I thought you sold the golf because the focus is actually more exciting? ;)

Jokes aside, yea insurance is a cnut.

The fact my mother pays £300 for a Mini Cooper S makes me sick.

I thought you sold the golf because the focus is actually more exciting? ;)

Jokes aside, yea insurance is a cnut.

The fact my mother pays £300 for a Mini Cooper S makes me sick.

lol, yeah well your too observant!

but f**k paying £1300 on a car you i didnt enjoy

anyway stop complaining you have a 55 plate car and your only 17, cant be that poor ;)

Bux

Golf GTD
Im paying £1600 fully comp for my clio on my first year with Churchill, have you tried them?

Someone explain this to me...

Right,

Currently my policy works like this. My mum is the car owner, and the policy holder - im just a named driver on the policy. This worked out to be about £1200 for last year FC. Her no claims were protected, and mirrored from her Mini so she had 9 years no claims on my car.

Anyway, i had a little knock - no NCB was lost due them being protected.

However, this year they want £3500? Seems abit steep... Considering the car still has 9+ years NCB on it.

306 GTI-6
No, its called insurance fronting.. If you are only a named driver, but use it more than the policy holder, its illegal. There have been numerous threads on it, and there is a sticky somewhere explaining it all.

Plus

The NCB may be protected, but they still know you had a knock, hence the higher premium.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
man, i feel for you young drivers... 1600 on a 1.4 206?! that is harsh as f**k imo... but i guess that is life. :(

i get upset at paying £420 for my 197...

306 GTI-6
True, insurance is so strange though. My insurance has gone up this year, depsite having another years no claims. Cant get it cheaper than last year anywhere. Money grabbing cun,ts.

TT 225
True, insurance is so strange though. My insurance has gone up this year, depsite having another years no claims. Cant get it cheaper than last year anywhere. Money grabbing cun,ts.

+1 my renewal went up 500quid this year to 1500. im 19 and been driving 2 years on a 1.2

Rb 182
No, it would of only been fraud if the car was in my name and my mum was the policy holder.

Wrong!

No, its called insurance fronting.. If you are only a named driver, but use it more than the policy holder, its illegal. There have been numerous threads on it, and there is a sticky somewhere explaining it all.

Plus

The NCB may be protected, but they still know you had a knock, hence the higher premium.

^^ This man speakth the truith.
http://www.insurancedaily.co.uk/2007/11/01/illegal-fronting-in-car-insurance-a-growing-problem/

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Don't want to start my own thread but my renewal is up in a few weeks.

For a 25 y.o, 5 yrs NCB, 1 crash in last 5 yrs (not my fault about 3.5 yrs ago), C rated post code, 10k miles (inc business) and modifications listed I am getting £595! Getting raped. Any suggestions, that was via confused which is with Bell and cheapest option yet, cheaper than DL which have always been good for me.

Titanium 182
My first car at 17 was a 1.1 106 and I paid £1400 third party for that.

f**king epic car though, surprisingly fun to drive!

I drove it more than the policy holder, they didnt care. Still paid up when i put it into a wall.

Can get it cheaper this year with my mum as the named driver again, £1100 - however, going on my own... £1600 (18, 0 ncb, FC, A rated post code, Accident at fault).

Oh well, have to pay it.

120d M Sport
I think alot of you on here forget what it's like trying to get a decent car insured at 17 when you start lecturing about insurance fronting:rolleyes:! Too many on here think they're the law.

I'd guess 90% of people at 17 who insure a car do so by being a named driver behind their mom/dad, its a means to an end to get most people started.

Friend of mine was a named driver behind his Mom, had a fault accident and the insurance company quite rightly paid out.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I think alot of you on here forget what it's like trying to get a decent car insured at 17 when you start lecturing about insurance fronting:rolleyes:! Too many on here think they're the law.

I'd guess 90% of people at 17 who insure a car do so by being a named driver behind their mom/dad, its a means to an end to get most people started.

Friend of mine was a named driver behind his Mom, had a fault accident and the insurance company quite rightly paid out.

That's all well and good, provided they aren't driving it more than the policy holder.

It's not about people on here thinking they're the law, it's more members showing concern for innocent people who get caught up in it all. Like when a 17yr old stuffs his "mum's" car into another car and the insurance won't pay out because they know it's a fronted policy. The innocent driver and passengers of the other car suffer because matey boy can't grow a pair and insure his own car properly.

If you can't afford to drive, don't.

Never above 25mpg

Manning up FTW

Had my own insurance since I was 17, albeit TPFT but at least it's my own. ;)

306 GTI-6
Because if you are only paying £1600 by insurance fronting (i.e breaking the law) then you shouldn't be doing it.

If you are having to do it because you cant afford the insurance legally, then you can't afford to drive, at least not with that car.

By the way, I am not saying you are fronting, because I dont know who uses the car most. However, if policy is in your mums name, you are only a named driver, and you use the car most, thats fronting.

I, like many people, or most on here, pay my insurance legally and myself. Insurance costs are one of the things you base buying a car on. If it's too expensive for you legally, you have the wrong car.

Its not just a case of what if your car gets damaged, stolen etc. If the insurance company investigated properly, you may find you and your mum/other peson would be in trouble. Techincally the car doesnt have legal insurance if the policy is being fronted, and it's not fair on other road users if you cause damage or injury to their property or them.

Either stump up the cash, or get a cheaper to insure car. Its part and parcel, most people drive a s**tter for their first year, or get a new car with free insurance (like citroen did with their saxos a few years ago).

Last edited:
  BMW 320d M-Sport
Mine's due n'all on the 197, the term 'rape' comes to mind! 21 and hopefully 1 year NCB when it's due in June. Quotes are not pleasant any where, plus Admiral who I'm with now won't let me get a quote online, have to phone them. It's not easy getting insurance when you're 17 on decent cars, but that's for a good reason and fairly self explanatory I feel.

lol at people justifying insurance fronting as if it's comparable to shopping around for a good deal. It's fraud end of. I'm 30 now and combined with years of experience, a clean licence and NCB my insurance as a result is pretty painless.

In response to Alex's comment about forgetting what it's like to be young and trying to get cover at 17 what a load of BS. I've been there I remember the feeling that I had been raped when I insured my first car which was a GT Turbo. I suffered having to cut back on my lifestyle miss nights out etc because I wanted the car. People feel they have a right to have what they want and to have it dirt cheap these days IMO. If you can't justify the £2/3K insurance quotes that are based on your risk as a new driver then stick to a 1.2. That or suck it up and get your wallet out like grown up's rather than acting like spoiled little brats.

306 GTI-6
lol at people justifying insurance fronting as if it's comparable to shopping around for a good deal. It's fraud end of. I'm 30 now and combined with years of experience, a clean licence and NCB my insurance as a result is pretty painless.

In response to Alex's comment about forgetting what it's like to be young and trying to get cover at 17 what a load of BS. I've been there I remember the feeling that I had been raped when I insured my first car which was a GT Turbo. I suffered having to cut back on my lifestyle miss nights out etc because I wanted the car. People feel they have a right to have what they want and to have it dirt cheap these days IMO. If you can't justify the £2/3K insurance quotes that are based on your risk as a new driver then stick to a 1.2. That or suck it up and get your wallet out like grown up's rather than acting like spoiled little brats.

+1

Exactly, getting a cheap deal by doing something wrong isn't being canny with your cash.

So to sum up. Do it legally and accept that as a young driver it will be more expensive, especially on a half decent car.

Or

Sell that car, buy a s**t box, run that for a year with cheaper (but still non-fronted) insurance, then when you have some experience, and can afford to insure a better car, get one.

I dont think you can label me as a 'fruad' when you dont know the circumstances, you dont know who drives the car the majority of the time or anything.

I am fully aware what fronting is and yes, it is fraud.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I can afford to drive, its more of a case of 'why should i pay £3500 when i can be paying £1600'.

There are many reasons why, but i would rather save the rest and go on holiday or somthing.

You'll likely learn the hard way, then.