ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intercoolers?...

BMW 535d
Hello all,

Just wondering if you have to have a turbo powered car to fit an intercooler. If you dont how would you fit it? I couldnt see a guide

Cheers Jake

I don't think there will be a guide for that mate, pointless imo and why do you want to fit one? for looks?

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
as much as there isnt any point, it technically would work. From your throttle body, pipework down to FMcooler, on the other of the cooler locate an air filter...somewhere.

Cold air feed intakes are probably a better approach to a cooler inlet temp. But for looks it would function.

as much as there isnt any point, it technically would work. From your throttle body, pipework down to FMcooler, on the other of the cooler locate an air filter...somewhere.

Cold air feed intakes are probably a better approach to a cooler inlet temp. But for looks it would function.

^^true

awaits an onslaught of clios with FM intercoolers ;)

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
Wouldn't work on a N/A engine. It could actually make it worst because it would disrupt the airflow.

On a N/A engine you need the smoothest airflow possible. If you fit an intercooler, you will get the fins to stop the smooth airflow and wouldn't make it any cooler.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Yeah because the 1.2's have racecar like intake setups. lol It might not run great but i'm fairly certain it would work. If intercoolers were so inefficient and flow restricting, sports cars etc would have developed a better flowing replacement. I say it'll work.

I remeber in my younger 17 year old days, fitting a cone filter and stainless bend to my little peugeot 1.1 8v and whenever you dipped the clutch approaching a roundabout it would cut out. Fit the standard airbox and this never happened. Smoother flow and more air resulted in issues.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
An intercooler is actually a pretty difficult thing to try and draw air through, so if you fitted one to an N/A car you would obviously expect to lose quite a bit of power as a result.

Is that what you have in mind? something to limit the power output of the engine to increase reliability? If so I would recomend just using a large washer in the intake pipework like a rally car has, they work really well and are easier to fit than an intercooler.