ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interior grab handles/switch surrounds

What are people doing with these to refresh them? Mine are awful, all worn and sticky, really lets the interior down. I imagine it's a common problem? Any pics with refreshed ones would be good, is anyone on the forum fixing these at the moment? Cheers!

RenaultSport Clio 182
As it happens mine were the same. I'm stripping them down and spraying them with plastic primer, then a metallic gun-metal colour paint, then clear lacquer. I colour matched as close as I could but it won't be perfect.

I'll post up a picture of the results when I'm done this week, so far I've got the old rubberised coating off and primer on. I started trying sandpaper for the rubbing down but it just clogs up. Spraying tar remover on and using a soft pan scourer is much easier but does take time.

Getting the handles off is easy, only one screw then slide them backwards and up.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The easiest way to remove the rubber coating is to leave them soaking in Dettol disinfectant . I got this tip off a modeling website for stripping paint off plastics. Leave the handles submerged for 24 hours and the coating just peels off . It has to be Dettol though apparently . It's not surprising it kills germs when you see how quickly and easily it just comes off . You can actually see some kind of chemical reaction taking place as it gives off a vapour. I washed them thoroughly in cold water afterwards then sanded and primed them . I haven't actually got round to painting them yet as I couldn't find a colour close enough to the originals .
20130329_195417.jpg

20130329_195446.jpg

20130329_195523.jpg

20130329_195601.jpg

RenaultSport Clio 182
Well, they've been painted now. The finish isn't quite as good as the original (the lacquer makes it quite glossy) and the colour is darker but they are a whole lot better than they were. The non-sport option would sure have taken a whole less time.
30605664131_2ac6c36f0b_b.jpg

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
If anyone was selling a set done like above or fancied doing it to a set and giving them to me I would should my appreciation with oral sex